Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

TPMS & Volvo Free Tyre Repair

Views : 1584

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2022, 12:44   #1
sk546
Master Member

Default TPMS & Volvo Free Tyre Repair

My wife recently had the pleasure of testing out both the TPMS on our car and the free Volvo tyre repair service at our local dealership due to picking up a nail in our drivers side rear tyre.
I can confirm that the TPMS system detected the difference in wheel rotational with just a 2psi drop in tyre pressure from the other wheels, very impressive! Who needs actual tyre pressure sensors in the wheels!

Volvo fitted her in the next day for repair and thankfully, the nail penetrated the tyre in a repairable location (i.e. not to close to the tyre sidewall for the plug to be able to be fitted correctly) and the repair was carried out.
As I have the Pirelli P-Zero Silent tyres (with the foam sound deadening), I was expecting to have to pay for the technician to reinstall the foam as others have mentioned elsewhere on the forum but to my surprise, there was nothing to pay at all so superb job done.
The only issue was that after the wife returned home, she noticed that a standard valve cap had been fitted instead of our gold Polestar Engineered caps but a phone call later and a trip to the dealership the next day and the cap was returned thankfully as looking at the price of them on the Polestar website, I didnt want to be replacing them!!

Overall, a good experience with nothing to pay, cant really complain.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 19:01   #2
Thorium

Glad you got your puncture repaired (and for free). I was charged for 'replacement' of the foam, so it would be interesting to understand if the foam in your tyres needed to be replaced.

I have emailed Volvo Customer Care asking for some clarity regarding when a charge for tyres with acoustic foam will be applied under the 'free repair' scheme as it may save a few other forum members some money in the future, or at least they will be aware of the potential charge depending on the type of repair required.

I'll let you know the response if I get one....
Thorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thorium For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 19:55   #3
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorium View Post
Glad you got your puncture repaired (and for free). I was charged for 'replacement' of the foam, so it would be interesting to understand if the foam in your tyres needed to be replaced.

I have emailed Volvo Customer Care asking for some clarity regarding when a charge for tyres with acoustic foam will be applied under the 'free repair' scheme as it may save a few other forum members some money in the future, or at least they will be aware of the potential charge depending on the type of repair required.

I'll let you know the response if I get one....
Really??? The foam is glued in, how exactly did they replace it? That sounds like the dealer 'at it'
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 19:43   #4
Thorium

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect an ageing thread, but I thought I'd keep the information all in one place.

I notice Volvo are sending out emails 'Stay safe this winter with Volvo.', which promotes their free [potentially expensive] puncture repair service.

Quick update with respect to my correspondence with Volvo Customer Care and hidden charges for puncture repairs...

Volvo do not dispute or object to dealers charging for replacing the acoustic foam or for cleaning out of emergency puncture repair sealant. Based on my experience, both are £40.

Volvo immediately side with the dealers on the issue of charges for puncture repairs. Quote from the email response to my complaint:

'It has been confirmed by the service manager at the retailer your vehicles tyre had the puncture repair foam removed for the tyre to be replaced, this is what the £40 charge was for. '

The interesting point (for me at least) is that the dealers stated to me that the charge was for the replacement of the acoustic 'noise reducing' foam, but when contacted by Volvo said the charge was for cleaning out the puncture repair 'foam' (sealant to you and I). This must have been a quick job as there was no sealant in the tyre - I still have a full bottle of sealant in the boot.

So S90 is probably correct - some dealerships appear to be inventing charges for the 'free' service.

I pressed Volvo for more clarity regarding potential charges in the advertising literature, and the response I got was:

'We have raised your comments regarding the terms and conditions and the omission of potential charges to the appropriate team for internal review.'

Read into that what you will. I have further avenues to explore regarding this as any potential charges should be clearly communicated (and not when your car is on the ramp, in the air with a wheel off - mine was)

So the take away from all this is that the 'free' service isn't always free.

Please be aware of these potential charges if you use the service. By way of comparison, Halfords charge £25 for a puncture repair, and they are upfront about the charge!
The Following User Says Thank You to Thorium For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 22:31   #5
Cull06
Master Member

With a (reading the above) non-foam tyre experience(?). I have to say I was impressed with the volvo free tyre repair.

Classic nail in mid tyre a mile from the house (cheers builders!)

AA out for a temporary repair. Down the dealer next day for a permanent repair. Plus the dealerships now are set up to work from them if needed so minimal disruption.

Pretty good fair play 👍

Writing that. I could have changed the tyre and been off again faster in the good old days of having a spare tyre on the car instead of a tyre well of batteries!
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 20:38   #6
Thorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
With a (reading the above) non-foam tyre experience(?). I have to say I was impressed with the volvo free tyre repair.

Classic nail in mid tyre a mile from the house (cheers builders!)

AA out for a temporary repair. Down the dealer next day for a permanent repair. Plus the dealerships now are set up to work from them if needed so minimal disruption.

Pretty good fair play 👍

Writing that. I could have changed the tyre and been off again faster in the good old days of having a spare tyre on the car instead of a tyre well of batteries!

I'm glad it was a good service for you, and actually free (as I suspect Volvo originally intended)

The disappointing thing is that Volvo know at least some dealers are charging for the 'free' service and they appear to be comfortable with this situation.

Had the response I got from Volvo been more along the lines of 'We're sorry to hear that you were charged, we'll investigate and get back to you. We intended the service to be free for our valued customers unless the tyre is not repairable' I might have been less concerned. I got pretty much the opposite response.

As it stands, I suspect a lot of customers are being charged by certain dealerships and Volvo are aware of this.

With everyone feeling the financial pinch at the moment, I intend to do what I can to make sure people are aware of any potential charges for the 'free' service.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thorium For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2022, 13:52   #7
Scolvo

Default Tyre rotation

Hi all. Does anyone know if rotating the tyres (front to back or vice versa) causes the TPMS to get confused? Considering having winters put on the front and rotating them to the back in Spring & Summer.
Can the wheels be swapped or does the whole tyre need removing, replacing balancing etc.
Scolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2022, 14:36   #8
Lexman8
Premier Member

When you swap wheels you just have to reset the TPMS system via the centre screen.

But, personally, I think having winter tyres on just one axle is a very bad idea.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 11:57   #9
Craigtange

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
My wife recently had the pleasure of testing out both the TPMS on our car and the free Volvo tyre repair service at our local dealership due to picking up a nail in our drivers side rear tyre.
I can confirm that the TPMS system detected the difference in wheel rotational with just a 2psi drop in tyre pressure from the other wheels, very impressive! Who needs actual tyre pressure sensors in the wheels!

Volvo fitted her in the next day for repair and thankfully, the nail penetrated the tyre in a repairable location (i.e. not to close to the tyre sidewall for the plug to be able to be fitted correctly) and the repair was carried out ASAP Tyre Services.
As I have the Pirelli P-Zero Silent tyres (with the foam sound deadening), I was expecting to have to pay for the technician to reinstall the foam as others have mentioned elsewhere on the forum but to my surprise, there was nothing to pay at all so superb job done.
The only issue was that after the wife returned home, she noticed that a standard valve cap had been fitted instead of our gold Polestar Engineered caps but a phone call later and a trip to the dealership the next day and the cap was returned thankfully as looking at the price of them on the Polestar website, I didnt want to be replacing them!!

Overall, a good experience with nothing to pay, cant really complain.
Just had my second screw in a tyre in 12k. Despite the latest being bang in the middle of the tread, I could not find anyone willing to repair a contiseal tyre. Tried 3 nationals and 4 local independents. No joy.
Does anyone know of someone who can/will repair?
If the tyre resells after the screw is removed (this one didn’t, again!) how far can you drive on the reseal?
Craigtange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 13:02   #10
V60 probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigtange View Post
Just had my second screw in a tyre in 12k. Despite the latest being bang in the middle of the tread, I could not find anyone willing to repair a contiseal tyre. Tried 3 nationals and 4 local independents. No joy.
Does anyone know of someone who can/will repair?
If the tyre resells after the screw is removed (this one didn’t, again!) how far can you drive on the reseal?
I've just had two punctures repaired for free by a local Volvo dealer. It's a Volvo offering, so your local dealership should offer it too.

Prevously: 1992 440ti, 1997 S40 1.8, 2000 S80 2.4.
V60 probably is offline   Reply With Quote