Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What weight can I tow?

Views : 1318

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 16:50   #1
Mark S60D5

Default What weight can I tow?

Thinking of buying a caravan and does anybody know what weight I can legally tow? Unfortunately I didnt get the owners handbook with my car (though i did get all the service history) so I cant look up the max tow weight. BTW its a 2001 S60 2.0T (manual) Also anyone got any recommendations for towbars? Fitting is not an issue, just the best to buy would help.

Cheers.
Mark S60D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 23:44   #2
chood98

1600kg is the limit for the car, i have a brink detacable towbar with the plugin electrics

i have towed my track car and trailer that weights 1575 Kg all in with ease.
chood98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chood98 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 23:13   #3
murtonia97-940

S60VE39Nochance. It doesnt matter what the book says about what the car will tow. Unless you are extremely experienced in towing the recommended maximum wieght of your caravan should not exceed 85% of the kerb side weight of your car. OK some people will tow up to 100% of the kerb side weight of the car - go over that and you run the risk of your caravan snaking and turning you over.

Suggest you have a look at this site http://www.whattowcar.com/

Happy towing.

murtonia97-940
murtonia97-940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:06   #4
Mark S60D5

Think the Class 1 HGV licence I have held for the last 22yrs has given me enough experience in towing. As I put in the original post, I dont have the handbook for the car so needed to know the kerbweight to determine the 85%.
Mark S60D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:11   #5
4wheeldriver
Master Member

1533kgs is roughly the kerbweight for a 2003 model with the same engine. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 17:16   #6
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60VE39no chance! View Post
Thinking of buying a caravan and does anybody know what weight I can legally tow? Unfortunately I didnt get the owners handbook with my car (though i did get all the service history) so I cant look up the max tow weight. BTW its a 2001 S60 2.0T (manual) Also anyone got any recommendations for towbars? Fitting is not an issue, just the best to buy would help.

Cheers.
if there is a weigh bridge handy stick it on there with just a full tank nothing else, that will give you your true weight . half of the sites are wrong for car weights in particular cuddles site says my t5 is 1450kg, when infact its 1600kg.
mike