Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with radiator leak

Views : 1499

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2009, 19:45   #1
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Default Towing with radiator leak

hi all
please dont jump down my throat, i have noticed over the past week a coolant smell at the front off the car , did a check and at the bottom theres the tell tale sign of the white powder,the amount off coolant loss is minimal. this weekend i want to get away with the van, 140 miles round trip , roads motorway A roads all flat apart from one big hill.your opinions as to go or not go.
thanks
mike
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 19:51   #2
Roger Jennings
VOC Member

No one should jump down your throat for this one! If possible I would take the car to a dealer or garage for a cooling system pressure test. This should confirm your suspicions and identify the problem area. Is the white powder around the bottom hose connection to the rad in which case it may tighten up and solve the problem or perhaps the hose needs replacement or is it on the bottom of the rad which may then require replacement. If it's a small leak then some proprietory rad sealer might be the temporary fix. Either way I would investigate further but hopefully not let it prevent me from going!

Good luck
Roger Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roger Jennings For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 21:10   #3
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

checked all the fittings tried the stop leaks no change the white powder is about 2ins up from the nearside bottom the only issue really would be the hill and the extra load on the engine. i have ordered a new rad from simon which will be hear this week but this weekend instead of doing the rad we want off for the weekend no brainer really. will take the emergancy water and egg
thanks for your help.
mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Mar 16th, 2009 at 21:12.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 21:27   #4
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Keep an eye on the temperature gauge. If it looks too warm at it is not convenient to let the car rest, or when you get to the big hill, turn your heater and fan on full whack. As the coolant also supplies the heater matrix, this will help cool the ever diminishing coolant.

Top tip: You'll need the windows open if you use the heater trick, unless you fancy a mobile sauna.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 21:42   #5
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
Keep an eye on the temperature gauge. If it looks too warm at it is not convenient to let the car rest, or when you get to the big hill, turn your heater and fan on full whack. As the coolant also supplies the heater matrix, this will help cool the ever diminishing coolant.

Top tip: You'll need the windows open if you use the heater trick, unless you fancy a mobile sauna.
thanks the hill in question is past south cave turn right up the hill to walkington then beverly. looking at google earth i could go southcave to marketweighton then to beverly and cut out the hill again a bit longer but will help
thanks for your input
mike
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 21:47   #6
Grim Deano

try some rad weld see if that cures the leak until you can get done properly.
Grim Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 10:48   #7
tykey

The leak won't be any worse for towing, and the engine won't run any hotter because of the leak. So if you would drive there without the caravan, then I'd take the caravan. But if you actually run out of coolant, the consequences on the car engine will be a bit worse a bit quicker.

At least with the caravan, you will have somewhere to make a cuppa while the rescue service arrives.

If you use the heater trick up long drags, then turn off the air-con as well.
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 18:38   #8
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykey View Post
The leak won't be any worse for towing, and the engine won't run any hotter because of the leak. So if you would drive there without the caravan, then I'd take the caravan. But if you actually run out of coolant, the consequences on the car engine will be a bit worse a bit quicker.

At least with the caravan, you will have somewhere to make a cuppa while the rescue service arrives.

If you use the heater trick up long drags, then turn off the air-con as well.
good point on the cuppa, the site with the hill is fully booked so going to lincoln which is flat,
rad came today so i could take it with me and do it on site NOT will leave it untill next week.
thanks
mike

mike
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 20:15   #9
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
hi all
please dont jump down my throat, i have noticed over the past week a coolant smell at the front off the car , did a check and at the bottom theres the tell tale sign of the white powder,the amount off coolant loss is minimal. this weekend i want to get away with the van, 140 miles round trip , roads motorway A roads all flat apart from one big hill.your opinions as to go or not go.
thanks
mike
hi all.
many thanks for your input and help, i changed the rad today took me about 2 hrs plus a bit more because i didnt tighten the bottom hose properly and the coolant went everywhere. looking at the old rad it was on its way out so glad i did it.
thanks
mike
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 12:38   #10
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Mike get some of this stuff good bit of kit you can put it in as a preventative against any other leaks
http://www.ksealit.com/k-seal-98-p.asp

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimDay For This Useful Post: