Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What can I tow?

Views : 4988

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2009, 15:13   #1
d.tribe
Ruby Red T5

Default What can I tow?

Hi all. I have been looking on the DVLA website to try and determine if my licence allows me to tow and what the weight restrictions are. I believe that as i passed my car test after 1997 that i am restricted to a lower weight vehicle than someone that passed their test before 1997.

So my questions are:

1. Can i tow a trailer?
2. If so, what is the maximum gross weight trailer i can tow?
3. The combined gross weight of vehicle and trailer.

What i want to do is drive a camper van and tow a car trailer with my drag racing car on it.

I am 26, passed my test in 2000 and on my licence i have the categories B1, B

Many thanks to anyone that can answer my questions

Dave
d.tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 15:33   #2
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

I also passed after 1997.

I think the rules are that the total combined weight of vehicle and trailer is restricted to 3.5 metric tonnes.

There is also a limit to the total length of vehicle and trailer, but not sure what it is.

I think legally you are fine. If I were in your situation I think I would be more interested in tips from those that tow regularly about the quirks of towing. I had a go once and couldn't get the hang of reverse round a corner with a trailer on for example. There are also quirks like extra length to consider, braking, and snaking apparently.

Also, don't forget, all the speed limits you're used to change when you've got a trailer on.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 00:30   #3
Tibbsey23
NineForty Nuts!

Hiya,

I am 25 and passed my test back in 2001. The way I read the law, and a great many sources that I have verified this with (including those who actually offer the training) is that we can tow up to a combined weight of 3500KG, so long as the MAM (maximum authorised mass) of the trailer is less than the unladen weight of the car. Though the thing to watch out for is this MAM thing!

Put simply if you were to tow an empty Ifor Williams with a MAM of 3000kg behind your Volvo you would be illegal even though the trailer was empty!

I dont know about a length limit, but rippedoffagain is right about speed limits, these can be found here "http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/speedmanagement/speedknowyourlimits.pdf"

The caravan club and various other organisations recommend a trailer MAM limit of 80% of the towing vehicle, though it all depends on the rig and on your experience. At the moment I am regularly towing about my Swift Challenger 490/5SE behind my 940, the axle on that is rated at 1200kg, so puts me within the law, and so long as it is loaded right it tows a charm at the limit. Though a few years back I was towing some silly things that taught me the "joys" of towing very quickly...

camper van wise, a bit sketchy, dont quote me (on anything I have said) but I think the 3500kg total applies totally, except when driving a 3 1/2 tonner, when I think you are allowed to tug a 750kg trailer too. My guess is towing a car behind anything large is going to put you over.

Dont read into this too much, but the laws were put in place to stop reckless people towing like idiots, generally those who dont look like (and/or arnt) reckless idiots are likely to get away with it... but if things go wrong, they will do it big stylee if you are not legal! Look into the trailer test (B+E) it is monies, but it will ensure you are legal

Distant Past: 1988 745 GL B200E
Past: 1993 945 S B200F
Present: 1996 945 CD B230FT
South West Volvo Group

Last edited by Tibbsey23; Mar 22nd, 2009 at 00:35.
Tibbsey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 10:12   #4
tykey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
I had a go once and couldn't get the hang of reverse round a corner with a trailer on for example.
So that's you, me and 99% of everybody else!!
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 17:08   #5
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

Dave,

You are highly unlikely to be able to tow a Track day car behind a camper.

A van is likely to be in the region of 3000kg MAM, so you would only have a spare 500kg to play with on the tow car + Trailer limit, the only other option would be if the track car and trailer weighed in under 750kg (and the trailer was plated to that amount)

From what you've said you will need to do B+E to tow legally.

Also depending on the size of the camper it may be that you need the first of the Large Goods Vehicles (upto 7500kg) licences and then once more the trailer addition for that.

Hope that helps,

Ed
(Someone who missed out on getting a pre-97 Licence by being 17 12days after the change...)
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 18:15   #6
Tibbsey23
NineForty Nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler Ed View Post
Someone who missed out on getting a pre-97 Licence by being 17 12days after the change...
Ouch! I have to admit that it does seriously **** me off to be honest. As I say, I know that there are a lot of people out there who cannot handle a corsa, so should not be let near a trailer or a 7.5 tonner. But there are also those of us who are fairly sensible most of the time, and also those of us with agricultural backgrounds that can legally drive some immense machines, but on the road we are very limited.

I understand the reasons, it just irritates me that I have to pay for and go through so much more than someone born 5 years earlier... Bah, c'est la vie, that was very off topic of me *slaps wrists*

Distant Past: 1988 745 GL B200E
Past: 1993 945 S B200F
Present: 1996 945 CD B230FT
South West Volvo Group
Tibbsey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 13:54   #7
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbsey23 View Post
As I say, I know that there are a lot of people out there who cannot handle a corsa, so should not be let near a trailer or a 7.5 tonner. *
But then that is precisely why they introduced the test...

However, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do it, at the moment the most sensible option for me is to get my D1+E which would then give me my B+E licence as it's been tested in a larger vehicle... just need to find someone to pay for it now!
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 14:23   #8
adamsky01
back for now

ok here it is u have 940 volvo weight 1800kg ur caravan weight is 1400kg that alowing
ur combined weight is 3200kg this means that u are alowed to tow as the license reads that the vechial ur are driving and the weight u are carying is no more than the 3500kg
basicaly as long as both the unit and the car dosent exceed 3500kg u are fine how ever

if u were to have a transit fan with a totall gross off 3500kg then u wouldent be alowed to tow any thing with that

personaly i wouldent worrie been towing caravans for years never been stoped and never been given any hastle
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 11:58   #9
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsky01 View Post
personaly i wouldent worrie been towing caravans for years never been stoped and never been given any hastle
The thing is this is not about your personal choice to ignore the new towing law this thread is about helping new people who want to start towing to comply with the new laws & be safe & enjoy towing thier caravan or trailer without the worry of being pulled over & possibly given points on thier licence & a heavy fine.

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 12:36   #10
adamsky01
back for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDay View Post
The thing is this is not about your personal choice to ignore the new towing law this thread is about helping new people who want to start towing to comply with the new laws & be safe & enjoy towing thier caravan or trailer without the worry of being pulled over & possibly given points on thier licence & a heavy fine.
why i gave my explnation if uj care to read if he folows what i have said he will be folowing the strict letter of the law
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote