Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate light unit removal - how?

Views : 1495

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 22:54   #11
bobsy852

it did a bit thanks!

I just tackled this myself tonight so thought I'd take some photos while I did it and do a little "How-to"

Here was my problem. Passenger side tailgate light had a considerable amount of water in it for some reason:

So I needed to take the light out.
First step is to open the tailgate and I noticed the two obvious screws to the underside of the tailgate under the light. Unscrew these (circled red)...

This doesn't release the light as I thought though. So now you need to loosen the carpet like trim at the bottom of the tailgate.
To do this, I undid the screw through the plastic bit to the side of the tailgate (circled blue in the image above), then used a trim removal tool to prise the carpet section of trim down.
NOTE: if you're doing the drivers side, you probably need to unscrew the two screws inside the handle as per this photo:

After you prise the carpet trim enough to get your fingers in there, just give it a pull downwards (towards the floor as you have the tailgate open) and it should come free. You MIGHT break some of the plastic clips in the process. I broke one I think (I couldn't see it but a piece of plastic can now be heard ratting around in there).

Anyway, you don't need to take the whole thing off, just give yourself enough room to get a small socket in there. This was as much room as I needed:

Now you should be able to see one of the TWO remaining screws that you need to undo to get the light free. The first one is near the edge of the tailgate, only just inside the trim:

I couldn't get a photo of the other but it's about 1 inch further towards the centre of the tailgate from this one. Once you've undone these, unclip the wiring connection as circled in the photo above.

Now the light is unscewed but is lightly clipped in place. I found that freeing the top of the light first was fairly easy, just give a light tap upwards (towards the sky with the tailgate open) near the top of the light. Roughly where the arrow points to in this photo:

This should free the light fitting enough to allow you to gently lever the bottom section free.

Re-fitting is reverse of removal!

It turns out the bottom light section (that was full of water in my first photo) was is a blank section! So I drilled a small hole in the back of this and let the water out. I shook the whole light fitting around in all directions and no water came out so I had to get it out somehow. I'll probably have to seal this small hole up now as if it gets water in again it'll drain onto the back of the tailgate trim when I open the tailgate. For now though it's cleared 90% of the water out of the light!

Hope this helps someone else in the future!!

(P.S; my rattling clip didn't seem to hinder the trim clipping back in place properly. If it's really broken one though and begins to rattle I'll buy new clips and take the whole thing down and install new clips thoughout!)
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobsy852 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 23:24   #12
vrb

There's quite a useful youtube video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpAFMycwscw
vrb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vrb For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 07:31   #13
bobsy852

haha thanks VRB!!
I knew there'd already be a guide somewhere online!! I couldnt find it yesterday though!
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote