Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help I've Been Immobilised !!

Views : 2226

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 22:07   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Its a long winded process it is explained in the pocket data book you can get from your dealer , but 1996 onwards models dont work there is a different process ..
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 23:06   #12
Bigdogcasa

Default My 440 is a 1996 N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Its a long winded process it is explained in the pocket data book you can get from your dealer , but 1996 onwards models dont work there is a different process ..
Sods law mine is the 1996 N reg model. DO you know what the process is for this or where I can find it.
Bigdogcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 09:58   #13
Bionicdad

try this site might help.....?

http://www.am.torun.pl/~ja/volvo/ala...obilizer.shtml

let us know how you get on
Bionicdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 17:43   #14
volvo4me

Default Fob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogcasa View Post
Well after taking out the batteries then pushing lock and unlock together for 5 seconds, then refitting batteries, it was back in action again . Thanks to all for your help.

Any idea what causes this problem?
Another baffled owner here. I had the same problem (nightmare). I opened the fob, cleaned the area where the one of two batteries makes contact, and carefully levered up the four springs that make contact with the other side of the batteries. I am probably tempting fate, but it started working OK again.
volvo4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 20:30   #15
david_cardiff

Default immboliser

Well I don't want to tempt providence, but my 1996 440 (bought in 2002 with full service history) has had a torrid history of immobiliser problems, it's on its third unit and the local Volvo dealer has got to know the car very well. Sorry to hear you've all had issues too, but I'm a litle relieved to know I'm not the only one! One year I had five such breakdowns and my AA membership when up by £100 as a result. I've taken to carrying spare batteries and two fobs, using one until it dies then starting the second one while replacing the batteries in the first.

The car would lock fine then refuse to start on the fob, no matter what you did - new fob batteries, standing facing the car at all angles from different distances, pressing both buttons, cleaning contacts, moving fuses, even disconnecting the car battery, but the only solution is tow it to the dealer who then unscrambles it with some gizmo and says it's now fine. Over the years since 2002 I've been towed back to the dealer almost ten times. The best explanation I eventually got was that parking it within sight of two different companies' mobile phone masts causes the signal to scamble! There are literally some parts of Cardiff and Newport where I cannot park any more!

And get this, the entire car appears to have been built AROUND the immobiliser unit so it can't be taken out.

That said, several of the dealer's tech experts have tried various solutions and one eventually offered to disconnect the whole thing, saying it would take out the central locking and something else (like I cared about those), but in the end it's still in place and behaves relatively well. One garage though had to push the car round the corner of its building to get it out of the way of two phone masts earlier this year!

Any tips would be very welcome, plus suggestions of who we can make Volvo do something about it - an option to disconnect it would be nice, it's cost me loads over the years and I never feel 100% secure in it. I gather Renaults have similar problems and at one point they built engines for Volvo didn't they? Cheers David

Last edited by david_cardiff; Dec 20th, 2008 at 20:42.
david_cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote