Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sticky buttons

Views : 3981

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2013, 10:55   #1
john493
Spannering since birth

Default Sticky buttons

Guys - the drivers door electric window switches on my '98 V70 are quite sticky. (I mean they are sticky to touch)
Anyone got any proven ways of improving them ?
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 11:18   #2
monkeh
Pain in the backside

So are mine, No cleaning products got the sticky off, but I started to scratch the lining off. Didnt look good, so dont do that! Also had the problem with my headlight switch and dash buttons. Dont use solvent either, itll destroy the button.
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 16:03   #3
hedgesi
VOC Member

It's a common problem and worse in the summer when they get warm. In the end I had to bite the bullet and replace it.
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 16:21   #4
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgesi View Post
It's a common problem and worse in the summer when they get warm. In the end I had to bite the bullet and replace it.
Did you replace with new or second hand please, mine are going the same and wondered if searching breakers was a viable option. If it is age related then I would rather do the job once and re mortgage the house to buy new.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 16:55   #5
hedgesi
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Did you replace with new or second hand please, mine are going the same and wondered if searching breakers was a viable option. If it is age related then I would rather do the job once and re mortgage the house to buy new.

Paul.
I looked around at second hand, but concluded that they were on their way to sticky and wouldn't last long enough.
In the end I bought new on Ebay. It was a ScanTech part not Volvo original, but about half the price at £65
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 17:03   #6
Thanatos
VOC Member

the volvo switch pack genuine one last time i inquired was £105 from main steeler and needed to be ordered in
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thanatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 22:54   #7
john493
Spannering since birth

Default Switch pack

Looked on the scantech site & can't see them listed - I've sent them an email.
Thanks for all the replies.
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 09:48   #8
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Parts for Volvo (PFV) have a replacement at £71.47. Not OEM, but I have never had any problems with their stuff,

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=5858

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 12:14   #9
frazz
Master Member

Cool

Never had a problem with mine!! could the problem be years & years of 'cockpit' cleaner/shines????? dunno,,,,
frazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 15:29   #10
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazz View Post
Never had a problem with mine!! could the problem be years & years of 'cockpit' cleaner/shines????? dunno,,,,
Reminds me of mine when I first got my car. The buttons were so sticky and manky that I felt that I should have had a health warning stuck on them!

The previous owner had been a smoker (as shown by a few cigarette burns in the driver's seat - now sorted). And judging by the state of the door cards, dash etc., he used bloomin' cockpit shine. Then, on the switch panel, years of sticky fingers beautifully blended in with all the cleaners and polishes!

(BTW... I found that bio-gel laundry liquid left to soak on appropriate areas was good and getting off all that 'stuff'... but not on the switch panels!)

However, I did manage to get the worst off everything - including the switch panel buttons.

It is possible to to ease out the switch panel (carefully) and unplug it. Then, again very carefully, the top 'cover' on the panel can be levered out. Still with care, the actual switch button tops can be levered out. The following should not be attempted with the buttons in situ to avoid getting liquids into the switch mechanisms.

Then the work started... Just time, patience and all purpose cleanser (Stardrops or similar - but I used Tesco's!) and a very old, soft and worn out toothbrush were all that I used. But be very gentle! The paint on the switch knobs can actually come off -as I found out (but not too dramatically).

Care is needed when reassembling the switch assemblies to make sure you don't bend or distort the LEDs that illuminate the legends on the switches.

And that lasted me for quite a long time (about 18 months) until the switch panel actually died a death when a contact welded itself to another one along with lots of burning plastic smell - and melted plastic.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote