Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault

Views : 2258

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2016, 13:17   #1
kdst5

Default D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault

There is a long thread running on the "S60 '10> / V60 '11> / XC60 '08>" forum about the new D4 engine and EGR fault. This engine is also used in the V70.

I am currently look to buy a fairly new V70 and can't make up my mind if the D4 should be an option or go for the D5 as it is know to be reliable. What I find strange, is there are plenty of people complaining about the D4 EGR on the "S60 '10> / V60 '11> / XC60 '08>" but not on this forum. Does the same problem not exist when this engine is in a V70? or is it not a very common engine in the V70?

The trouble is at the moment their are not many V70s with the D5 engine for sale so thinking I might look at the D4, but will I regret it?
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 14:09   #2
tommyweaves
Premier Member

If you're buying a fairly new one I imagine it'll still be under warranty so I wouldn't worry about it. Alternatively go for a slightly older 5 cylinder D4/D5.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 21:44   #3
kdst5

Just thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone else has anything to say.

Is there anyone out there who has a D4 (2.0 ltr, 181 BHP) v70?

I take the point about warranty but I tend to keep cars a long time so don't want a problem after the warranty has expired.
Old May 31st, 2016, 11:09   #4
st4
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdst5 View Post
Just thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone else has anything to say.

Is there anyone out there who has a D4 (2.0 ltr, 181 BHP) v70?

I take the point about warranty but I tend to keep cars a long time so don't want a problem after the warranty has expired.
For that thread it looks like there is a permanent fix out there in the form of a new EGR cooler.

The D4 comes with the newer 8speed automatic box. Googling the Aisin warner 8speed box doesn't bring up many horror stories but it has not been out that long.

Bear in mind the old 5 clyinder engines too have issues with the aux belts taking out the timing belt. Other than the EGR issue on the new VEA engine does anything actually go wrong with them? Has anyone done a big six figure millage on one, if so, what, if anything went wrong. Is there a trend like there is with the 5 clyinders for a major failure due to a design weakness. Does the newer VEA engine have any major design issues and the same questions for the gearbox.

I am not sure, I found a nice S80 D4 for sale and although I am happy with my car, it was a better spec, newer, the engine is better on paper, it did make me think but I have too many questions about the new engine/gearbox and none of them have been answered by early adopters yet?
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:39   #5
Considered1
Premier Member

I have no concerns about my engine, it all runs brilliantly and the 8speed auto is so smooth. If considering a D4 VEA get one that is still in warranty or has had the new latest EGR fix rolling out now.

My amber light came on for one day but nothing was affected and dissapeared the next day. Dealer is replacing EGR with latest fix as a matter of course. Cant ask for anything more really.

Last edited by Considered1; May 31st, 2016 at 13:10.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 12:15   #6
kdst5

The aux belts problem I can probably live with by changing the belt and tensioner every 3-4 years or 36K-48K miles. If it's the same job as the P2s then apart from the cost of the parts (I think around £60) fitting it is quite easy.

Does anyone know what the cost of the EGR is on the D4 and how much time it takes to fit? I believe it takes quite a bit of time. Could this be done by the average DIY mechanic?

There does seem to be a lack of 1 - 2 year old D5s for sale at the moment. Is it just the time of the year? I.E. Come August when traditionally new cars are bought there will be more.
The Following User Says Thank You to kdst5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 09:15   #7
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I've just changed from a 2013 D3 to a new D4 and it's a real let down. I'd stick with the 5 cylinder.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 10:32   #8
st4
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
I've just changed from a 2013 D3 to a new D4 and it's a real let down. I'd stick with the 5 cylinder.
I feared as much regarding the 4pot. The D3 5pot is a lovely engine to drive with.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote