Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800E Electric fan

Views : 1743

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2019, 16:57   #1
sleek lemur

Default 1800E Electric fan

Hi all, am considering installing an electric fan on my 1970 1800E. Am going to call a company called Revotec, which advertises in Classic and Sportscar, but before being baffled by the experts, I'd really appreciate any wisdom members can pass on. Thanks very much!
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 18:19   #2
LawsonJD

Hi.
I fitted a Revotec fan to my 1800E.
Went with their high power 11" - 240mm blowing fan, mounted in front of the radiator using the universal fan brackets.
Didn't use their recommended fan controller utilising the bottom hose, instead bought the threaded fitting controller EPC M22 x 1.5mm external threat + EFC M22 brass boss, braised the boss onto the top of the radiator and fitted the controller there.
It appears to be working perfectly although the car's just been workshop run so far.
I could take some pictures if you like, going over there tomorrow.
David.

Total cost
Fan £77
Brackets £15
Threaded controller £65
Brass boss £9
LawsonJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 20:26   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

sl; See my notes on ECF here: http://www.sw-em.com/Cooling_System....ic_cooling_fan

LJD; Top of Radiator is input side, and will be hot any time TStat is open and calling for cooling, so I expect your Fan to be running just about all the time...I prefer to only energize the ECF when Rad does not supply adequate cooling (hot outside air or slow roadspeed), therefore recommend placing temp sensor for ECF in bottom tank of Rad or Hose.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 22:18   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
sl; See my notes on ECF here: http://www.sw-em.com/Cooling_System....ic_cooling_fan

LJD; Top of Radiator is input side, and will be hot any time TStat is open and calling for cooling, so I expect your Fan to be running just about all the time...I prefer to only energize the ECF when Rad does not supply adequate cooling (hot outside air or slow roadspeed), therefore recommend placing temp sensor for ECF in bottom tank of Rad or Hose.

Cheers
exactly , so the fan will only come on when the radiator can no longer cope ..
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 22:20   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post

Cheers
exactly , so the fan will only come on when the radiator can no longer cope ..
however the Standard working mechanical Thermo viscous fan is best , it regulates it's self .
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 09:15   #6
sleek lemur

Thank you both for such really useful replies. Much appreciated.
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 17:15   #7
LawsonJD

Guys not so I'm afraid.
In the early 80's the vehicle had a Kenlowe fan fitted with the thermostat mounted radiator top and the fan performed perfectly, just like the one in my Dad's Chrysler Avenger in fact.
Lemur, sorry for this confusion, hopefully this'll help, these are my experiments with the Revotec templates.
Pic 001 is the 10" fan template vertically mounted, 002 is the 11" horizontal.
David.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (178.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (174.7 KB, 33 views)
LawsonJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 17:59   #8
sleek lemur

Thanks again and no worries re conflicting ideas. All good stuff!
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 02:27   #9
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

LJD;

The system can certainly be characterized with sensor on the hot side, and I have seen where others installers do implement it this way...I have give my considered reasoning for putting it on the output side...it seems to me that so implemented, the fan will run only when system needs additional airflow, so I expect fan will run less than with sensor on the hot side...in the end, it is up to sl's decision...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 20:42   #10
simonvolvo

My opinion, for what it’s worth: David (post #7) is right.

It doesn’t matter where the temperature sensing element is placed on the radiator: top, bottom, or anywhere in between. The function is the same.

That is, assuming the set point (temperature at which the fan switches on) can be adjusted. It is then simply a question of adjusting the set point according to where in the cooling circuit the sensing element is placed.

I’ve done experiments to satisfy myself that this is indeed so.

Also, plumbing or other efforts to try and get the sensing element to be inside the coolant space is a complete waste of time! The sensing element can simply sit on the outside of, for example, the top tank, so as to be in reasonably good thermal contact with the outside surface of the tank. Very simple and cheap, and easy to get at.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote