Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel delivery (again)

Views : 761

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2007, 16:36   #1
Simon P

Default Fuel delivery (again)

Had an interesting (long) drive home last night across the country I had had some power-loss problems with my car earlier in the year (see here) and I seemed to solve it by replacing the fuel filter, now the car's not missed a beat for 10K miles, and then last night powering up a long steep(ish) hill with about half a tank of fuel the car had a little hiccup a bit like in my old problem days. So it's got me wondering again if there's perhaps a problem with the fuel pump/sender that only seems apparent when the tank gets to maybe 1/2-1/3 empty. I'd have thought that a fuel pump would either work or not, and not be affected by tank level?

By other question is that I had felt before (see here) that the car was low in power with a bit of a flat spot around the 2K-2.5K rev range. Before the journey, i checked the wate-gate actuator and gave it a quick waggle in and out and it seemed to move OK. Earlier in the same journey (after a refuel), the car felt excellent, it really felt like it was giving me MUCH better boost between 2-3K, it was giving me that kind of poke in the back feeling that you expect from a turbo. However this feeling was not long lived, and it went back to the flat-spot feeling later on (after maybe 10-15mins of nice boosty driving). I therefore think that there is something amiss with the waste-gate or the boost control (standard Volvo configuration, no mods) maybe the waste gate actuator sticking or the valve not seating properly, me giving it a wiggle maybe helped a bit, but obviously not permanently.

Any advice appreciated...

Simon
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 17:02   #2
vcup

Default Fuel pump

Simon,

I had roughly the same problem. My S40 (1.6 1997 with 106000 km). Our one has even stopped with my wife but re-started without any problem when I got to the place after a few hours. Anyway, it ended up with some 60 kms of towing and fuel pump replacement six months later ...

Cheers,
Balage
vcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 17:45   #3
manoman48
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon P View Post
I'd have thought that a fuel pump would either work or not, and not be affected by tank level?
I have been told this but believe me it is just not true, even if only with this particular car. My fuel pump was pretty random in its failure, and got steadily more frequent until I decided to bite the bullet and change it.

No problems for a while now (touches wood).
manoman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 15:53   #4
Simon P

So it seems that replacing the Fuel pump would be a good plan then - is it likely that the fuel pump is the cause of all my problems or r that the flat spot problem is not related, and is more likely something around the turbo/wastegate.

Could be an expensive Cristmas if I get a new pump - I guess it would perhaps also be prudent to replace the presure regulator too, to eliminate this from possible issues? Both of these jobs seem Ok to do DIY - anyone done them themselves, and can offer any pointers?
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 14:31   #5
vcup

Default Fuel pump replacement

Simon,

I have replaced the fuel pump myself. I have the Haynes book so I had a pretty good guide :-) However, to remove the plastic ring which holds the pump assembly within the tank was a real challenge. The hand-made tool recommended by the book did not work or better to say I did not have the proper material to make it.

Finally I used the oil filter removal tool (with 3 arms) as it was also recommended by the book. However, as you turn the tool it starts to distort the ring preventing it from getting loosened. After having the tool tight on the ring I inserted a flat screwdriver between the teeth of the tool to avoid putting more force on the ring. It helped. The rest is a sinch I think.

Good luck,
Balazs
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 09:33   #6
Simon P

Is it possible to replace only the pump, or is the pump-sender-unit the only thing available? I can get the entire sender-unit (Scan-Tech) from Parts For Volvo for about £176, but of course, if there's a cheaper option to just replace the pump then I'd prefer to go for that unless I am totally 100% confident that the component replacement will solve all the issues.

As a side note, I tightened up the waste-gate actuator half a turn to see if that helped the apparent flat spot, but it's still there, so I'm back to thinking that a replacement fuel pump might sort things out, by enabling better fuel delivery. What's the best way to empty the fuel tank before doing this job?

Also can anyone recommend a way of measuring the fuel pressure? Is it possible to put a pressure gauge on the Schraeder valve on the end of the injector rail, if so, where can I get a suitable gauge?

Thanks.

Last edited by Simon P; Dec 4th, 2007 at 10:15.
Simon P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 14:27   #7
vcup

Default Fuel pump replacement again

Simon,

It is possible to replace the pump only - the rest of the assembly is mainly a bunch of fine filters. The pump is sold separately, too. To be honest I have not drained the tank just disconnected the battery and - of course - did not smoke :-) ...

Cheers,
Balage