Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Boot door lock knackered!

Views : 1135

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 18:11   #1
emmdee
Premier Member

Default Boot door lock knackered!

My wife got a 2002 S40 6 weeks ago. Last week I tried to open the boot and the button stuck in - wouldn't pop out flush again. After fiddling with it for a bit I persuaded it to pop out but it's happened again. The button is now stuck in, it won't pop out, and the boot can't be opened at all. Interestingly, when you plip the remote the lock moves sideways quite noticeably, but I can't get it to work again. I mean, even swearing at it for ages didn't work!!

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, how best to fix it? The wife's giving me a lotta grief over this...
Thanks
m.d.
emmdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 18:40   #2
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Mine has/had a rubber grommet type thingmybob which gets twisted inside now and again. A little manipulation gets the lock to pop back out though. I think there might be 2 of the grommets because I remember removing an outer one and there is still one there to annoy me every now and again. Usually when it is chucking it down.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 18:44   #3
SpeedyReedy
VOC Member

Theres a rubber O ring around the button which have the tendancy to split causing the button to jam. Have you tried using the key in the lock and a partial turn to see if you can get the button to pop out, If you manage this you can then remove the trim inside the boot all 14 clips which will allow you to access two nuts which will remove the colour trim above the number plate this in turn will allow you to remove the O ring and it may solve your problem.
S40 1.8i 1999 2002 - 2010
340 1.4 1991 1994 - 2002
SpeedyReedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 22:23   #4
ph5172

I had this problem, with all the frozen shopping in the boot in the belting down rain!! had to pull the seats to get it all out. anyway

I blipped the central locking a afew times but in the end i had to manually lock and unlock the boot and with the key turned pull back hard on the key until the button popped out with a small piece of the grommet sticking out, i then removed the rubber o ring grommet by snapping it and pulling it out

hope that helps and the dont be afraid to pull i was suprised how hard i had to pull
ph5172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 10:32   #5
manoman48
Master Member

See my thread from VERY early on in my T4 ownership...

==> here <==
manoman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 10:59   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

There is a repair kit for this from the dealer it has a modified part to prevent the same happening again . You will have to open the lid from in the boot after taking the cover panel off . Remove the lock assembly and fit modified parts . The rubber O ring isnt the cause of this problem ...