Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Egg smell coming through vents

Views : 1584

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2019, 20:53   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackBox View Post
Yeah I'm a bit intrigued as to how I was smelling it at all without even using the screen wash. Like I had said in my OP that I was getting the whiff when taking off, speed ramps and breaking. Smell hasn't returned since anyways.

While your here Welton, I had a quick read of your thread about the washer pump replacement from a couple of years back a few days ago. I see that yours was for the 5 cylinder but I don't suppose you know much about the 4 cylinders ? Or anyone else ? I can get my hand on the pump but no clue how to get it off. I reckon fixing it is the only way I can keep the water from not going bad.
The pumps are pretty much all the same after releasing the Quick release coupling and maybe the rubber pipe if you have rear wash , just ease the pump out of the rubber bush ...
If the car is standing around for a long time with the same water in the bottle it can smell like this .
As I said get a litre of volvo wash fluid , it is not salt based like the cheap stuff , it is a spirit based fluid rather like Methelated spirit and leaves no trace whatsoever on the screen , oh . and stops Bacteria growth and is highly flammable ..
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 12:57   #12
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The pumps are pretty much all the same after releasing the Quick release coupling and maybe the rubber pipe if you have rear wash , just ease the pump out of the rubber bush ...
If the car is standing around for a long time with the same water in the bottle it can smell like this .
As I said get a litre of volvo wash fluid , it is not salt based like the cheap stuff , it is a spirit based fluid rather like Methelated spirit and leaves no trace whatsoever on the screen , oh . and stops Bacteria growth and is highly flammable ..
it is also a LOT kinder to the clear coat on the car AND cleans the screen properly (with decent wiper blades that is)

i had to sort this on my dads old car for him, washers were more like a dribble + smell etc
the huge lump of "ergh i dont want to touch that even with gloves on" that came out the washer bottle a Good clean up with the washer bottle off the car , nightmare job on that one. Refilled after flushing the lines out with water, used volvo screen wash as per instructions on the can, ZERO issues after And a cleaner screen when used.

aldi/lidl/halfrauds screen wash is cheap for a reason,, BUT the volvo stuff is Not that expensive. Plus not having the Lovely job of sorting it out following cheap screen wash/plain water/washing up liquid Really makes sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 17:39   #13
lockstock

not an eggy slipping clutch smell?? Since you mentioned it's when moving off?
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 19:38   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Half a pint of white vinegar added to the washer bottle every once in a while (every 6 months or so) is a good way to remove limescale, kill bacteria and keep your screen clean.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 00:27   #15
emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Half a pint of white vinegar added to the washer bottle every once in a while (every 6 months or so) is a good way to remove limescale, kill bacteria and keep your screen clean.
You are right, there some or a lot of limescale in the screen wash line, and dirt. I removed the front headlight washers and cleaned them up, also the rear window washer was not working at all, when worked there was not much water coming out, just sprayed outside of the screen, just a bit landed down on it. When removed it, which was very easy, I tried to unblock it, but the hole was so tiny that I could not do it, also limescale built up over the years.... I have purchased new one from Volvo dealer for 8 euro, it is huge difference, the hole is larger and enough water is coming through.
Usually I add a bit of a blue medical alcohol as it works against freezing and bacteria. Now I added half of liter of white vinegar that cleans the remaining limescale as you advised.
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 23:14   #16
SnackBox

Hasn't done it since I emptied the screen wash bottle. Very certain now it was that. Thanks for the replies.
SnackBox is offline   Reply With Quote