Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIM/speedo failure

Views : 416

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2019, 15:05   #1
Xc90marc

Default DIM/speedo failure

Whilst driving a couple of weeks ago the entire speedo assembly switched off but the car still drove

A couple of days later the dash re energised and all was working except for the fuel gauge (reads zero/empty) also an Anti skid and SRS fault

I sent the DIM off for repair as I thought that was the issue but they have stated the XC90 has a later LED dash, even on my 53 plate example, that isn't repairable and it may be a CEM fault

Any ideas?
Xc90marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 19:08   #2
Xc90marc

Forgot to say when the DIM went blank the windows and sunroof stopped working also
Old May 15th, 2019, 19:13   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Look for the common factors: power feed to the DIM, sunroof and windows
Or the CAN bus

Power feed comes from CEM, so remove CEM and inspect for water damage
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 20:42   #4
Xc90marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xc90marc View Post
Whilst driving a couple of weeks ago the entire speedo assembly switched off but the car still drove

A couple of days later the dash re energised and all was working except for the fuel gauge (reads zero/empty) also an Anti skid and SRS fault

I sent the DIM off for repair as I thought that was the issue but they have stated the XC90 has a later LED dash, even on my 53 plate example, that isn't repairable and it may be a CEM fault

Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Look for the common factors: power feed to the DIM, sunroof and windows
Or the CAN bus

Power feed comes from CEM, so remove CEM and inspect for water damage
A small amount of corrosion in the CEM, looks to have been coated with a protective film from the factory

More pressing is I've found the carpet at the bottom is wet, I suppose a connector could be corroded
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190515-203923~2.jpg (107.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190515-203927~2.jpg (95.0 KB, 25 views)
Old May 16th, 2019, 05:03   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Get the CEM professionally repaired, you may be able to save it. Inspect connectors for damage.

And make sure you fix the water leak: either sunroof drain and/or the wiring loom entry point under the scuttle panel below windscreen.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old May 16th, 2019, 08:09   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

The CEM may well be fine, water getting into vehicle CANbus/comms connectors will cause the issues you have. My V60 had a variety of 'interesting' issues like yours (occasionally dead dash and infotainment displays, multiple warnings and alarms, loss of electric windows and central locking, etc) because of a leaking rear washer pipe dripping onto under-dash connectors. A pipe repair followed by a careful drying of the affected connectors (plus an application of switch grease to the connector pins) brought about a full repair with apparently no permanent harm caused.
Old May 16th, 2019, 08:55   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xc90marc View Post
A small amount of corrosion in the CEM, looks to have been coated with a protective film from the factory
I just looked at the photos again

That's quite bad corrosion, it needs to be professionally cleaned and fixed immediately

You need to clean the circuit board with isoproyl alcohol, at best in a bath
Then the solder joints and tracks need to be inspected and repaired as necessary
Afterwards, the conformal coating needs to be reapplied for continued protection.

You also need to clean all corroded metal work.

And you need to clean all connector pins in the connectors that connector to the board

And then fix the water leak...