Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vehicle Safety/Recall Notification

Views : 21047

Replies : 179

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2019, 19:14   #141
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Its the tailgate struts, I think its on XC60 models.
I don’t have that one either......
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 19:48   #142
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
So instead of white/grey Ready on tachometer you get a dash icon? Is it in top row? Should “ready” disappear?
I do not recall seeing the "ready" since the icon appeared.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 19:56   #143
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Yes the recall I have is for the electric struts see https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290882.
This is XC60 only
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 21:13   #144
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Its the tailgate struts, I think its on XC60 models.
Any details on affected years /VIN ?

Just read the whole thread,sorry!

Last edited by marsdalebear; Aug 1st, 2019 at 21:22. Reason: Doh!!
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 11:55   #145
D4dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Would catching fire really be the biggest worry?

For me, at least, the greater worry is the harm done to the secondhand value of my car if Volvo fail to provide an effective and PERMANENT fix for this problem (which is already being reported in the media)... unfortunately this is something that Volvo has so far failed to do in relation to the EGR valve and cooler blockages that are already getting these cars a bad reputation.
For clarification to Zebster and others
Copied and pasted below are the questions put via the HonestJohn website to Volvo and Volvo reply from August 2nd. The interesting point is that although 2019 Reg cars are included they are categorical those made in 2019 are not affected. So they knew the problem at least a year ago and conveniently fixed it leaving new sales unaffected.....Which begs the further questions about why the delay in having a retro fix? given the inevitable (not denied)connection to the EGR issue will their 3rd attempt at this cure the problem? What faith should anyone paying £20K plus for a 2018 car have in that 3rd attempt given the mysterious delay? Just exactly what are dealers telling buyers of those cars - if it doesn't mention the EGR and later turns out its involved just how is that to be justified?

1. Do Volvo acknowledge or not the continuing EGR related problems on the VEA (typically D4) engine including blocked manifolds and loss of inlet valve seal necessitating expensive major engine repairs? We are aware an intended permanent fix was put in place but understand the above problems have still occurred.

We acknowledge that there has previously been an issue with particle build-up on the engines in question. The solution implemented was a rework of the EGR coolant system to resolve the issue of moisture build up in the EGR cooler. Further to this, there has been a software update released. While we can never guarantee that cars will not suffer isolated faults, we are confident that these combined actions have proved a robust solution.

2. Given well documented identical symptoms for BMW melting inlet manifolds, do Volvo acknowledge any cause related to any EGR issue under their recent recall, given it was the precise cause at BMW? It being the case that other than air, the only substances introduced into the engine via the manifold come through the EGR valve and associated system.

The corrective action is still under development, and we therefore cannot currently comment on which components will be affected by the corrective action – nor can we comment on other manufacturers.

3. Given the July 2019 Recall includes 2019 vehicles but states there is no current solution to the problem, what is the position and information being given to buyers of new, used or ex demo vehicles etc at dealerships? A crucial point if the solution to any continuing or acknowledged EGR issue is less than certain.

For clarity, the recently announced recall relates to model year 2014-19 cars, production of which ended last year. There are no potentially affected cars being sold as new.

It is safe for customers to drive these cars, as long as there is no error message relating to the engine and the car does not display any of the symptoms previously identified. When it comes to used cars, we have advised our UK retailer network that they must communicate with all customers purchasing one of the models in question to make them aware of the issue, potential symptoms to look out for, and the forthcoming recall.
D4dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D4dilemma For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 12:11   #146
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4dilemma View Post
For clarification to Zebster and others
Copied and pasted below are the questions put via the HonestJohn website to Volvo and Volvo reply from August 2nd. The interesting point is that although 2019 Reg cars are included they are categorical those made in 2019 are not affected. So they knew the problem at least a year ago and conveniently fixed it leaving new sales unaffected.....Which begs the further questions about why the delay in having a retro fix? given the inevitable (not denied)connection to the EGR issue will their 3rd attempt at this cure the problem? What faith should anyone paying £20K plus for a 2018 car have in that 3rd attempt given the mysterious delay? Just exactly what are dealers telling buyers of those cars - if it doesn't mention the EGR and later turns out its involved just how is that to be justified?

1. Do Volvo acknowledge or not the continuing EGR related problems on the VEA (typically D4) engine including blocked manifolds and loss of inlet valve seal necessitating expensive major engine repairs? We are aware an intended permanent fix was put in place but understand the above problems have still occurred.

We acknowledge that there has previously been an issue with particle build-up on the engines in question. The solution implemented was a rework of the EGR coolant system to resolve the issue of moisture build up in the EGR cooler. Further to this, there has been a software update released. While we can never guarantee that cars will not suffer isolated faults, we are confident that these combined actions have proved a robust solution.

2. Given well documented identical symptoms for BMW melting inlet manifolds, do Volvo acknowledge any cause related to any EGR issue under their recent recall, given it was the precise cause at BMW? It being the case that other than air, the only substances introduced into the engine via the manifold come through the EGR valve and associated system.

The corrective action is still under development, and we therefore cannot currently comment on which components will be affected by the corrective action – nor can we comment on other manufacturers.

3. Given the July 2019 Recall includes 2019 vehicles but states there is no current solution to the problem, what is the position and information being given to buyers of new, used or ex demo vehicles etc at dealerships? A crucial point if the solution to any continuing or acknowledged EGR issue is less than certain.

For clarity, the recently announced recall relates to model year 2014-19 cars, production of which ended last year. There are no potentially affected cars being sold as new.

It is safe for customers to drive these cars, as long as there is no error message relating to the engine and the car does not display any of the symptoms previously identified. When it comes to used cars, we have advised our UK retailer network that they must communicate with all customers purchasing one of the models in question to make them aware of the issue, potential symptoms to look out for, and the forthcoming recall.
Evasive twaddle, carefully crafted by a PR team...
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 00:00   #147
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Just a thought, but does it seem strange to anyone else besides me, that a major manufacturer puts out a recall notice, but dosent have a solution to rectify the problem?

Therefore little point in recalling any of the affected cars.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustyfrog For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 03:48   #148
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
Just a thought, but does it seem strange to anyone else besides me, that a major manufacturer puts out a recall notice, but dosent have a solution to rectify the problem?

Therefore little point in recalling any of the affected cars.
Not really. The Takana airbag issue was potentially lethal but the recall took several years to complete. Not sure whether it was ever fully completed.
Currently Volvo has only made owners aware of a potential problem and that they are working to resolve it. This may take a while.

Last edited by Quacker; Aug 23rd, 2019 at 03:52.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 06:14   #149
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

I contacted my local franchised service station to book in for the recall.
Had a reply asking me what the recall was for. Told them that I suspected the manifold issue and have had no further contact from them and still no letter from Volvo.
Car is running ok so not particularly worried but my faith in the Volvo service setup is rapidly fading.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 07:59   #150
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdalebear View Post
I contacted my local franchised service station to book in for the recall.
Had a reply asking me what the recall was for. Told them that I suspected the manifold issue and have had no further contact from them and still no letter from Volvo.
Car is running ok so not particularly worried but my faith in the Volvo service setup is rapidly fading.
Yes, you would have far more faith in them if the hadn’t informed you. Big mistake on their part don’t you think?