Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 D4204T8 Engine oil

Views : 3086

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2019, 18:29   #11
sreviz
Master Member

Thank you RS3100.
Can you pls update the link for checking oil level.
Thank you.
Engine D4204T8.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 21:11   #12
RS3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreviz View Post
Thank you RS3100.
Can you pls update the link for checking oil level.
Thank you.
Sorry, I don't know where it went. I'm sure it was there when I posted?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=295150&page=2
RS3100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 09:16   #13
sreviz
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3100 View Post
Sorry, I don't know where it went. I'm sure it was there when I posted?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=295150&page=2

I see your point. Thanks for the link.
Mine is D2 , 2.0 engine. Manual says 5.2 litre.
So I will drain and top with 5 litres exact.
That was useful information.

Thank you.
Engine D4204T8.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 17:44   #14
sreviz
Master Member

[IMG]

image hosting service[/IMG]

Just to confirm, Total oil has the same spec as volvo recommends. 32 quid for 5 litres eBay.

Dealer asking 45 quid for fuel filter.Does any one knKw alternative decent one please.

Thank you.
Engine D4204T8.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 19:17   #15
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yes, mahle or mann will make the volvo filter, both are equal quality and widely available, so either of those will be spot on. Depending on who is making the filters for your model you have a 50% chance of getting the 'dealer' filter anyway.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 21:09   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Yes, mahle or mann will make the volvo filter, both are equal quality and widely available, so either of those will be spot on. Depending on who is making the filters for your model you have a 50% chance of getting the 'dealer' filter anyway.
heresay unless you can prove different ... how do you know what specification filter volvo ask their supplier for ?
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 21:52   #17
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Not this again. It has been proven by numerous people.
Instead of asking for anything more than you have ignored, give mahle or mann a ring. Or just in general, you can also ask Ufi and purflux.
The filters have manufacturing numbers on, the aftermarket ones have a gap where the volvo logo would be. The manufacturing and part numbers are all identical as is the physical appearance and construction.
Manufacturers contact a filter company and say 'we want this, to do that' the company offers them something and a deal is done. You will find, for example, the same Ufi filter housing on vauxhall, toyota, renault, nissan, peugeot/citroen and others, cos thats how it works for a business like volvo etc to keep costs down, part availability up. Some filters only fit the housing made by the vehicle manufacturer of course.
Not forgetting of course, that Mahle, Mann, Ufi, Purflux are industry-leading top of the line filter manufacturers, their filters are of ideal quality for any vehicle.
Ask volvo if a mann or mahle filter is unsuitable, not us. Youll get same answer. Yes it is perfectly suitable.

Last edited by AndyV7o; Aug 14th, 2019 at 21:59.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 22:18   #18
Zebster
Upstanding Member

In preparation for a DIY service, I'd be interested in factual, reliable information regarding who makes the OEM filters for my Volvo, if anyone knows.

Using a non-OEM diesel filter was a potential disaster for my previous car (a Honda Accord), as a huge number of posts on Honda forums will attest... it was one of the biggest causes of loss of power and an engine warning light! Up until that point I believed that all filters from well known reputable manufacturers were equivalent.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 22:48   #19
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
In preparation for a DIY service, I'd be interested in factual, reliable information regarding who makes the OEM filters for my Volvo, if anyone knows.

Using a non-OEM diesel filter was a potential disaster for my previous car (a Honda Accord), as a huge number of posts on Honda forums will attest... it was one of the biggest causes of loss of power and an engine warning light! Up until that point I believed that all filters from well known reputable manufacturers were equivalent.
If its volvo era pre ford they seem to be Mann, Ford era tend to be Mahle, using the P2- P3 platform as an example. This is what I have picked up anyway.
There are a few volvo filter things on tinterweb showing genuine and mahle/Mann side by side.
Buying a genuine is the sure fire way to verify but you have to take that hit the first service.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 22:53   #20
RS3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
If its volvo era pre ford they seem to be Mann, Ford era tend to be Mahle, using the P2- P3 platform as an example. This is what I have picked up anyway.
There are a few volvo filter things on tinterweb showing genuine and mahle/Mann side by side.
Buying a genuine is the sure fire way to verify but you have to take that hit the first service.
They will almost certainly have more than one supplier, to avoid supply problems if a single manufacturer has production issues.

Fiat for example use at least three different manufacturers for OEM filters.

Personally, I would go with Mann, Mahle or Bosch. All good reputable suppliers which if not OEM will be just as good if not better!
RS3100 is online now   Reply With Quote