Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S/V40 1.9D Shut-off throttle & EGR valve

Views : 36757

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2018, 15:30   #51
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
In relation to Baffler's post, he mentions removing the three studs, is that all there is to it?
It's been a few years but, yes, I believe I just removed the three screws and the valve came away from the manifold. As it wasn't very dirty I just cleaned it with the vacuum line still attached, popped in the new gasket and reattached it to the manifold. Be careful not to over torque the screws (only 9 Nm) on replacement as the plastic housing of the valve can become quite brittle over time. A little drop of low strength thread-lock on the screw threads will keep them in place without having to over torque.

Quote:
Also, I started removing my EGR valve and half came off and the rest is stuck in the manifold (!!). It is completely caked with sludge and soot as is is the manifold. Does anyone have an idea of how I can remove the valve and clean the manifold. (I have already dragged a lot of the gunk out of the manifold with a bent hacksaw blade)
Along with penetrating fluid you can use a pipe wrench (Stillson) to gain enough purchase on the triangular flange of the inner most part of the EGR valve. It will eventually come loose.

Ideally, to properly clean the manifold, it would need to be removed but that would mean the turbo needs to be removed to create enough space to maneuver the manifold.

To remove the heavier deposits I have successfully cleaned mine by using a collection of improvised tools. A long tea spoon/ice cream spoon with the head bent to 90° and an old vacuum cleaner is very helpful to catch any large deposits from dropping into the manifold. Copious amounts of cloths, rags, paper towel and brake cleaner...oh and nitrile gloves a must...it's a dirty task.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 18:56   #52
HalV40

Don't know if it will help anyone with EGR issues (poor idle, hesitation when accelerating) but I simply unplugged mine on my 2001 1.9d and I've had no issues at all since, no error lights and passed MOT no problem with the emissions.
Happy days.
HalV40 is offline   Reply With Quote