Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mix front/rear

Views : 663

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2018, 18:02   #1
Basquen

Default Mix front/rear

Hi,
My Pirelli Scorpion Verdes have just failed the MOT at the front. I've had about 20000 miles out of these. The same tyres at the rear are fine.
This is my second set of Pirellis in 2 years and I'd like to try something longer lasting.
I've always run BF Goodrich on my Discoveries and they last up to 60000 miles.
The question is can I replace the front set with BF Urban Terrains and keep the Pirellis at the rear? There are many confilicting views on mixing tyres with the AWD Haldex system.
Basquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 19:12   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basquen View Post
Hi,
My Pirelli Scorpion Verdes have just failed the MOT at the front. I've had about 20000 miles out of these. The same tyres at the rear are fine.
This is my second set of Pirellis in 2 years and I'd like to try something longer lasting.
I've always run BF Goodrich on my Discoveries and they last up to 60000 miles.
The question is can I replace the front set with BF Urban Terrains and keep the Pirellis at the rear? There are many conflicting views on mixing tyres with the AWD Haldex system.
Hi There,

Having different sets will cause no issues whatsoever for the AWD system. Kwik Fit and other companies sometimes advise that 4x4 cars have to have the same tyres and within 2 or 3mm wear all way round and with some older 4x4's with thermo viscous couplings (Freelander 1 etc.) that is true but for all post 2003 MY Volvo with Haldex (that includes any XC90) it is no problem whatsoever.

However - the most recent advice from all tyre and most car manufacturers is where there is a substantial difference in tyre wear, put the best tyres to the rear. I don't always do this but when I last said that on here I got munched.....

Have a Google, there is science to it. It's also a good idea still to rotate the tyres say every 8-10k so they are closer worn - more predictable handling etc.

PS - I'm tempted by the BFG's when my Pirelli's wear out on my XC70.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Apr 26th, 2018 at 19:21.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 23:37   #3
Brianvs60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post

However - the most recent advice from all tyre and most car manufacturers is where there is a substantial difference in tyre wear, put the best tyres to the rear.
There's a very good reason for this - better grip on the back means it's less likely to step out in wet or other slippery conditions - it's easier and therefore safer to correct understeer at the front than oversteer at the rear.

OP - I'd be happy with 20k miles out of a tyre, to be honest, that's good mileage - if you're getting 60k from a Goodrich, do you drive on marshmallow roads, or what!!!! :P
Brianvs60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 00:38   #4
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
However - the most recent advice from all tyre and most car manufacturers is where there is a substantial difference in tyre wear, put the best tyres to the rear. I don't always do this but when I last said that on here I got munched.....
Fully agree, have a google, there is a very good video from the 5th gear team on how a car behaves with worn tyres on the rear, and why the better tyre should be in that position.

I have also been mauled over similar comments, but its nearly always the same people that believe they are also better drivers than the late great Colin McRae, and they can perform cadence braking better than a cars ABS system can react in real life, and react better to skids than a modern cars electronics .... I'm constantly amazed that my skills are so lacking after all these years where theirs are so adapt at performing to the same skill levels as the top echelons of motorsport warriors ..... I'll stick to better tyres on the rear, ABS and ESP systems .... Colin McRae driving skills I dont have.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 08:05   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

FYI on moderately driven non R-Design Volvo XC models running less "sporty" tyres (i.e. not low profile) it's not unusual to see 50k+ from a set of tyres.

One my 2016 XC60 D4 (FWD) the fronts where changed at 48k and the rears at 52k (I had been rotating them). On my 2003 XC90 I fully expect to get 50k+ from the Cooper Discoverer MS2's it's shod with - I've done 23k on them and they are still at 7mm+ (they come with 10mm tread) again I have been rotating them.

My sisters V60 R-Design (T2) struggles to get 18k or more out of the fronts and she is Miss Daisy...
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 08:25   #6
Basquen

Quote:
OP - I'd be happy with 20k miles out of a tyre, to be honest, that's good mileage - if you're getting 60k from a Goodrich, do you drive on marshmallow roads, or what!!!! :P
The Discovery does everything from motorway to offroading and the last 2 sets of BFG ATs have been replaced because the sidewall rubber was starting to show its age (dry hairline cracks). However, the tread was still within spec !
If I can get even 50% more life out of the BFs than the Pirelli I'd be happy
Basquen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Basquen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 08:31   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basquen View Post
The Discovery does everything from motorway to offroading and the last 2 sets of BFG ATs have been replaced because the sidewall rubber was starting to show its age (dry hairline cracks). However, the tread was still within spec !
If I can get even 50% more life out of the BFs than the Pirelli I'd be happy
The other point I would make is when you move to more "4x4" biased tyres rather than "SUV" (and from what you have said you have lots of good reasons for doing that) you may also notice a 2-3 mpg drop.

When the factory Continental SUV tyres came off my XC60 for Pirelli Scorpion All Seasons this happened. Also when happened when I took the Chinese crap off my XC90 for Cooper Discoverers. However it's a price I am more than willing to pay...
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 09:13   #8
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

I have Pirellis on mine - have had the car just over a year and replaced the rears within a couple of months of ownership so no idea of their wear rate, but the fronts were only around 4-5mm and now after ~12K just nearing their wear limit so must be getting 20k+ out of them.

I will continue with Pirelli as also own a manual XJS which can be a window maker in the wet - the rear is light and with so much power and torque you can drift very easily or lose the back end if you are no taking care.
I found replacing the Goodyears with Pirelli transformed the handling - Pirellis stick like glue, I was amazed at the difference (and yes, some of this is in part to changing to new tyres as rubber hardens with age but the difference was impressive). The point is that on a vehicle such as the XC90 which is no sports car, at least with the Pirellis it will be less likely to slide if you take a corner to fast or braking hard. From the little I know on tyres, I would say hard rubber gives low wear but less grip and probably more cabin noise. When cruising at 80 on the motorways my XC90 is virtually silent.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 09:30   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJSDriver View Post
I have Pirellis on mine
Me too, on my 20" CRATUS wheels, and I love them except for their price....

One has a nail in it and that means 2 x new front tyres, maybe all 4 at a total local cost of around 900 GBP.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 13:11   #10
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

That's exactly what happened to me - the treads on the rear were getting low and then a nail landed - right on the edge so no possibility of a patch

I noticed when I was 100 miles from home on the M1, having stopped for a break. I saw the nail and thought about pulling it out and then decided against as owning an 'R' design if punctured I have no spare (don't get me on that one!). Got home fine and then pulled it out - tyre deflated within a minute!
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote