Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mileage Display - remove

Views : 1871

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2018, 15:55   #11
PEGE63
Master Member

Add a small note below the ODO saying 'another 200000 to go' that might cheer you up.

V70 D5 (185) SE Sport, Geartronic, 58 MY08 4C. 133k
(before Avensis 55 95K, P97 945 LPT 2.3FK 113K and J92 945 2.0T 165K)
PEGE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 15:24   #12
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

This is currently under discussion within the forum support team and board of directors.

Just to update in case it appears to be being ignored , this isn’t the case.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2018, 17:52   #13
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

My apologies for my rather "disruptive" post to this topic. I have apologized to the OP and this is to extend that apology to others.

As for an answer, my research has uncovered the following:
1) It is possible to remove the total mileage display: Selecting different fuses when the ignition is on, and finding the fuse to cut the power/display to the dash WILL get rid of the mileage.
Of course, superfluous items like speed, RPM and airbags may not work following this process!
2) The total mileage does NOT display when the car is locked so no one can see this untill the ignition is on.

So it does beg the question: Why would anyone want to hide this information? After a few weeks, most drivers get used to what is on display and ignore that information they don't need.
Again, why hide this information. Is there an ulterior motive behind this?

Only the OP can answer that one...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 16:23   #14
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Old Apr 30th, 2018, 21:53   #15
Shinjuku

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Again, why hide this information. Is there an ulterior motive behind this?

Only the OP can answer that one...

Des. . .
Hello Desmond

Saw your apology. Fine for me. My reaction was whatever - live and let live.

Your reply above. That's interesting info albeit not the way forward for me given it turns off other display functions.

Fascinating to see that you still see the need to be combatative though. This time by calling my character into question when there is no evidence for you to do so. Read what my post said and you'll see my motive. It's stated there.

So, if we are going to get into querying each other's motivations without evidence (although your post backs my interpretation to a much greater degree than my post backs yours) my current view of the motivations behind your posts is:
- likes to throw weight around;
- does not like to be confronted;
- self righteous and rowed with mod community about how correct he was behind the scenes;
- no longer has a job as too oppositional to sustain a role in a hierarchical organisation - obviously not an idiot so probably retired (and glad to have "left them all behind");
- concious or subconscious need to 'make his point' even when only appropriate position to take is brief, polite, to the point contrition.

I'll be honest with you. You've irritated me in this thread. Twice now you're making out I'm some sort of nefarious character. Your posts mark you out to me as a difficult person. I don't like the cut of your jib. I also think you're a poor choice for a moderator.

Contrary to my previous statement I'm going to stick with the forum.

S

Last edited by Shinjuku; Apr 30th, 2018 at 21:57.
Shinjuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 07:50   #16
tt82
Forum Support Team

For f*#ks sake!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2018, 08:52   #17
Austin160
Master Member

Default Mileage display-remove.

I must say I viewed this post due to the unusual nature of the topic.
Having read the responses, I, and it seems the majority of posters, are left a little bemused by the reasoning behind the question, but a question it is I guess, and perhaps the original poster may have been happier with no answers or ' don't know without removing other important functions'.

With this now degenerating into some character assssment issues, it might be advisable to discontinue any attempts to answer the original question.

Having said that, I guess I now leave my post open to criticism from anyone involved! -but be reassured, I am unlikely to react to whatever it is.
All I can do is to wish the OP good luck in finding someone who has the answer to his/her post.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 08:55   #18
Waynedance

Black tape? Already answered.

Remove clocks, remove plastic front, cut nice piece of tape stick over mileage and put back together.

Easy job, take 30 minutes.
Old May 1st, 2018, 09:22   #19
Shinjuku

I'm happy the original post has been answered. It's not possible to,say, view trip mileage in preference to total mileage as a setting. To turn it off is major surgery - which des' post is useful for. I just thought if the car can tell when it's raining and can remember when I get in that I want to know how many miles I have left in the tank rather than my instantaneous mileage that it may have been possible to turn off what - to me at least - is an an unhelpful number apart from when I'm buying or selling a car. I don't even care for service time as I just service annually. I guess the mot guy may want it though.

I'm fine with people not feeling mine is a question that desparately needs an answer. I'm inclined to agree. However that is what car forums are for - to allow individual car enthusiasts (read weirdos for many people outside car culture) to pursue their own interests and enjoyment within a forum of people who understand the perspective even if they don't share it. Modding is not for me for example. I like OE. However in get what the mod community is doing as a principle and the feeling it gives.

A question is a question as noted above. I suspected the answer is what it is but threw a post out just in case. I've been surprised before. Many times. I'll get some black tape out. See how it looks. That may be giving in to the emotion and serve as a reminder though. Not sure about actually sticking a note saying 200000k to go, but it is a good perspective and I will try to think like that as that could be the way to turn a negative to a positive. I may actually be half way there as actually the mileage is 89k not 80 as I originally posted! No responses saying that, innthst case I'm goosed as they 50 per cent of cars are known to explode at 90k!

Last edited by Shinjuku; May 1st, 2018 at 09:27.
Shinjuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 11:50   #20
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I suspect that once you have put the black tape over the mileage display, you will be beset with an irresistible urge to pull it back to see to what figure the mileage readout has changed! You can then modify the tape "mod" by substituting transparent tape for black!