Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine rebuild - Volvo XC70 2,4T B5244T3

Views : 883

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 13:01   #1
Llelloo

Question Engine rebuild - Volvo XC70 2,4T B5244T3

Hi guys, I am trying to rebuild my engine, because I was tricked and I bought it with crack in the block. Now every piece of the engine is apart, I have rebuild the head and found another block -same as mine, tested for cracks and filed (sanded) by 0.3mm. The head I assume is filled also with 0.2mm. Now I have two big problems and I count on you to help me.

1) Does anyone know if this engine could take so much sanding - about 0.3 for block and 0.2 for the head = 0.5 in total. Would the pistons and valves interact ? Or if they don't when I test it rotating by hand, does this mean that they will stay like this when I start the engine?

2) Do I need to change all the bearings or I can change only these on the crankshaft? It is very expensive to replace everything, you know. BTW- both blocks (cracked and the new one) and the crankshaft are marked 1BBBBBB But I will not risk to use the same (previous) yellow bearings.
Llelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 17:56   #2
green van man
Premier Member

If it turns over by hand without contact it should when the engine is running in my book. The skiming of head and block, why? Was it that far out of tollerance that a gasket would not of taken it up. Sorry no idea of maximum skim possible.

I have had competiton engines decked but never a road one, I have refaced cylinder heads to remove warp, as I lapped them on a sheet of plate glass I've no idea how much came off but only enough to get a level surface.

As for bearings, main bearing and big end are a minimum, small end depends on wear as do gugion pins. Careful measurement with micrometer or venier gauge will ascertain how much wear there is and weather any ovality is present, you then decide if fit for further service. If new pistons and pins fitted as part of the rebiiuld I would also renew small end bushes unless I was very sure of their condition. Have you had the crank reground or checked for ovality. Factor in a new oil pump and gasket set and agreed things get expensive, but do you want to be doing it all again in a couple of months.

I ended up happy to rebuild my own engines but if others wanted it I referred them to professional rebiulders, if things went wrong it was their problem not mine, and I knew of more than one tight engine that picked up on the bores because of drivers ineptitude.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 09:50   #3
Llelloo

Thank you,
obviously the total thing will cost me minimum 1000E and one week work.
The block was skimmed because there was a deep scratch, result of bad storage..
Llelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llelloo For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2022, 23:53   #4
nickbw898

Vida states 0.003 is absolute maximum for cylinder head. Has the block been shimmed and/or skimmed by a machine shop? Did you check the surface with a steel rule and feeler guage in all directions? An engineering machine shop have access to all the specs and they can and do setup the valve gear and cam lift profiles.This is absolutely too expensive a job even DIY mechanics to skimp use new Volvo head screews measure old ones in mm, Volvo head gasket and Volvo anerobic sealant, new exhaust and exhaust manifold bolts and nuts.
nickbw898 is offline   Reply With Quote