Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Motor Flush" by Gunk... any experiences?

Views : 1565

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 22:34   #1
Al115
Premier Member

Default "Motor Flush" by Gunk... any experiences?

Does anyone have any experience with something called "Motor Flush", possibly made by Gunk?

It's added to the old oil before draining and run for about 10 mins. Its supposed to remove any contaminants/free sticky rings etc. before the new oil goes in.

We were discussing it in the 850/70 forum and I thought I might raise it here since it's a general query and it might attract some knowledgable input. Here's the link...

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboa...&mesg_id=16431

Thanks,

Alastair
----------------------------
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopos...357v70-sig.jpg
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 00:08   #2
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default RE: "Motor Flush" by Gunk... any experiences?

My advice, don't use any flush other than by Forte. It'll cost you 12-14 quid for a bottle, whereas Wynns/Gunk/any other make is almost half the price. You only get what you pay for, IMO, the other flushes don't break up the gunkus so well and can leave bits to block up the oilways.

There is a school of thought that says don't flush high mileage engines as the gunk is the only stuff holding them together. I would say that I've flushed the engine in my 360 at 125,000 miles and that hasn't thrown up any problems, but the compressions were extremely healthy and the engine only uses negligible amounts of oil.

A flush and Mobil 1 made it run smooth as a baby's bottom. There's a bit of piston slap when its cold, but that was there before, and if anything its a bit quieter now.

So I would use a Forte flush and then fill with a full synth.
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 00:15   #3
migrator
Aye - him again

Don't know what it was but I once had an oil change done by National Tytres (Smiley as it was then). They input a 'flusher/thinner' and ran the engine for about ten mins. Judging by the volume output it was quite efficient at clearing out the old oil etc.

(Cadburys takes 'em and they covers 'em in ...)

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 14:51   #4
roy chu1

I used wynnes, after 120k, it did seem to run quieter and a little smoother.

However I now I know what to put in. I think it would a bad idea to use flush regularely.

Roy
roy chu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 16:54   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I used to believe in these flushing agents, until I read the view that in dislodging hardened gunk and letting it circulate they actually did more harm than good. So I don't now know whether I have reached 310,000 miles because of flushing, or despite it!
I now think that the important thing is a regular oil and filter change after a long run, and that flushing is unneccessary.
The only time I would now use it would be on taking over a very dirty and neglected engine. I then use a charge of flusher, drain, fill with cheap oil, run for about 100 miles, than drain, and finally refill with a good oil.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote