Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front seat removel

Views : 505

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2017, 21:05   #1
mantaray

Default Front seat removel

I have a 14 reg V40 CC, and I wish to remove the front seats.

Is it as easy as unbolting them or is there a set way to remove them safely. Don't want an airbag or something going off.

These modern cars are all new to me, yes they have some nice modern gismos but they are a whole new learning curve when it comes to working on them.

Thanks for any advice
mantaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 09:22   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Simple answer is I don't know.
The Safety Restraint System contains what amounts to explosive charges to tension the seat belt in the event of an accident and there must be a procedure to disable them and remove the seat safely but whether that involves disconnecting the battery and waiting half an hour I am unsure. The handbook is of little use in these cases as if it mentions it at all it will reffer you to your dealer.
Disconnecting the plug under the seat may be enough but who knows.
Perhaps your local breakers yard may be able to tell you, your dealer would but may not be willing to. Other than those perhaps a local crash repair centre, often the seats have to be removed for access of body dozers/power pacs.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 20:22   #3
The Thong
VOC Member

If it’s the same as the V50 and S60, disconnect the battery before unplugging the seats. The bolts are easy enough to remove, it’s the trims which become casualties when you try and lever them off.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:19   #4
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
If it’s the same as the V50 and S60, disconnect the battery before unplugging the seats. The bolts are easy enough to remove, it’s the trims which become casualties when you try and lever them off.

TT
+1 remember to disconnect the battery first before doing anything otherwise as soon as you disconnect the Airbags on the seats the warning light will pop up & the only way to turn it off is Dealer reset (Or helpful person with VIDA/DICE)
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 12:19   #5
ThePurplePanther
Member at Large

General tip i've found useful (can't remember where i found it) is when removing anything with plastic trim/bolt covers at this time of year is give them a quick blast with a hair dryer or similar heat source to slightly soften them/reduce the brittleness.

Not a guarantee, but when i started doing this the number of plastic clips i snapped dropped dramastically!

Good luck
ThePurplePanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 21:07   #6
mantaray

Thanks for the replies. I want to see how hard or easy it is to remove the covers so I can fit heat pads.
mantaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 21:37   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

Removing the seat covers is do-able, but very fiddly and time consuming. I've no experience with the V40 but removed the covers on my C70 last winter to repair the tilt mechanism. First attachment shows the seat with the covers off showing the heater pad on the backrest, the pads are glued to the seat upholstery to hold them in place and then the cover put over the top. Second one shows the completed seat. I suspect your seats will be a similar principle. Apologies for the second one being on its side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20161209_001 - Copy.jpg (162.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20161210_002.jpg (78.3 KB, 6 views)
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote