Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

European driving standards are horrendous!

Views : 2012

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2018, 14:16   #1
Laney760
VOC Member

Default European driving standards are horrendous!

Hi to all. I drove in six American states last year, my first time driving in the US for a long time and I was very surprised by the high standard of driving in towns, cities and on the freeways. However a few weeks ago I had my first ever experience of driving in Europe, we drove to a 3 day rock festival in Zoetermeer. We had horrendous snow here at the time but on exiting Eurotunnel there was very little evidence left of the snow there although it was very cold and wet and driving conditions were not good. The standard of driving was dreadful, even more so given the road conditions! Tailgating at high speed seems to be the absolute norm and vehicles passing very closely to each other in poor driving conditions. I was not at all surprised when we were delayed before the Belgium / Holland border by no less than four accidents!

I was expecting European driving standards to be very high!

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 14:26   #2
steadvex
Master Member

I imagine going to a rock festival will be a magnet for cars filled with excited people to see said festival, I would hazard a guess the driving standards were lower on the roads you were on due to the festival more than anything else...

Personally with the exception of Italy and Belgium from my own experience driving standards are vastly better than in the UK it always takes me a week to adjust to the British aggressive nature of driving when I return!

On the flip side, in America if you cut someone up there is a good chance you can get shot in a road rage incident....
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 14:31   #3
Laney760
VOC Member

Hi Steadvex. The other cars definitely weren't going to Cultuurpodium Boerderij venue, it only has a 750 capacity and most people we met there had flown in. Belgium was definitely the worst I felt

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 14:39   #4
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Hi Steadvex. The other cars definitely weren't going to Cultuurpodium Boerderij venue, it only has a 750 capacity and most people we met there had flown in. Belgium was definitely the worst I felt
I do think as everything gets busier our driving standards decline, to me the busier the roads the more aggressive everyone gets, doesn't matter what country, you chuck a million people on the road at the same time and things get a bit crazy! I remember meeting a French man in Germany before in winter, he had budget summer tyres on, was genuinely shocked, was near freezing but no snow. I always figured most Europeans would have winter tyres, especially those who travel across Europe!

I remember driving through the centre of Brussels before, its something I hope to never do again! I sometimes feel in certain places having a British plate doesn't help, might just be in my head tho.
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 15:00   #5
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

UKs standards have dropped a lot in the last few years, seems that half the population just dont give a monkeys
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 15:36   #6
anthonyfrancis

What's Europe it doesn't exist. As a brexit man and a Englishman born in Liverpool I think I'm allowed to ask what's Europe. I think driving standards have got bad in the United Kingdom maybe more traffic cops are needed or more old fashioned beat bobbys like we had in days gone by. Anyone contravening the laws of the road should be dealt with harshly. My pet hate is box junctions. And just junctions in general.
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 15:40   #7
gatos
Premier Member

I find it is the exact opposite. We go to France/Belgium about 10 times a year and I found people to be a lot calmer, not speeding and not beeping. People wait patiently in the traffic lights and don't drive through red lights. We have never experienced any tailgating, with the exception of a few british number plate BMWs or Audis. It's always a shock driving back on the M20 of how much more aggressive and badly some people drive. Specially as you approach London

I agree with others here, that standards have dropped in the UK and too many boy racers can do whatever they want on the streets, as there is hardly any visible police anymore.

Nullius in Verba

Last edited by gatos; Mar 31st, 2018 at 15:43.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 16:04   #8
fleming164

I generally found driving standards throughout France to be on par with the UK, bar one exception; I find drivers in the UK to be more 'polite'.

The French seemed to push their way out of junctions whether there was a gap there or not, as opposed to polite filtering in traffic that we tend to get in the UK.

Having said that, wherever you are you only need to come across a few bad drivers in a short space of time to make your mind up on the quality of drivers.

Ex:
'06 S40 2.0D SE - 178,000mi / '00 Renault Clio 1.2 - 138,000mi
fleming164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fleming164 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 16:11   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Belgium and north Holland are not Europe

Just like Wales is not Great Britain

You need to increase your sample size before you can reach a conclusion....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 17:10   #10
Whippy
Premier Member

I find lane discipline in France much better, signal, pull out, pull back in again. My pet peeve is drivers seem to hang off my back bumper for miles, then, just before a blind bend or similar they launch themselve lemming style into an overtake. Plus it helps that the roads are generally less crowded.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post: