Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do you have a television set ?

Views : 1346

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 12:26   #11
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

They is coming for you. They is going to get you.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 13:20   #12
Jammin

They have already been several times, I have not been got .
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 14:03   #13
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
I think you've titled this thread wrongly, because the convergence of devices means that a fair question to be asked is "what do you mean by television set?". .....
..... It has grown far beyond the simple "television set".
Good point, 'I-S'. I'm not certain now of what I do mean by a television set, although I thought I did until I read your post !

I was actually thinking of the device that sat in the corner of the lounge and received only television broadcasts, but you are of course correct in that one can now watch TV on any number of devices.

We only watch DVDs on the apparatus that we inherited from Linda's mother, although it would presumably still be capable of receiving TV signals if connected to an appropriate aerial.

I have no idea of what 'streaming' is or what it involves but the fact remains that we do not watch television in any form, although, like 'volvoid', that doesn't stop us receiving letters from the licencing authorities.

Regards, John.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 14:14   #14
I-S
Premier Member

Indeed, I used not to own a "device capable of receiving broadcast television" and dealt with the letters.

For anyone in that position I strongly suggest withdrawing implied right of access (Google for it).

I am particularly against the whole thing of "no TV? We'll have to come in and check". I'm not in possession of a fishing licence, shotgun licence, liquor licence nor an HGV class 1 licence, yet no one comes around checking on those.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 14:35   #15
Jammin

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
For anyone in that position I strongly suggest withdrawing implied right of access (Google for it).
I strongly suggest not doing that, it gives them grounds for issuing a search warrant. A polite "no thank you, not today" and shutting the door on the Capita salespersons is all that is needed.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 15:19   #16
Grimble
Grimble

Its quite a long time since I have watched anything 'live' on TV except the news.
We deliberately start watching something about half an hour later than broadcast just so we can skip through the ads or the interminable chit chat on quiz shows. Pointless is the worst, about 20 minutes of interesting stuff in a 1 hour prog.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 16:21   #17
Father Ted
Master Member

We have two televisions. Between my wife and son, I get to watch the F1 and that's it!
On the rare occasion that I'm allowed the remote, I find that there is nothing on of interest.

Was it a Bruce Springsteen lyric? "57 channels and nothing on".
The Following User Says Thank You to Father Ted For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 17:44   #18
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
I strongly suggest not doing that, it gives them grounds for issuing a search warrant. A polite "no thank you, not today" and shutting the door on the Capita salespersons is all that is needed.
It worked for me, and I think that any judge that issues a search warrant based upon that would have serious questions to answer. Without implied right of access they left me alone for a couple of years, before the letters started up again, now addressed to "the occupier".

There are many clips of the intimidation tactics used by TV licensing, so not the people I want on my property!
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 17:44   #19
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
We don't !

Recent discussion in these forums regarding the latest "Top Gear" programme has made me wonder how many there are who, like us, do not own a television set.
Not in my current Volvo, no.

But in my previous BMW I did have a factory built-in TV and it was brilliant for watching the 6 o'clock news when sitting in traffic jams.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 21:07   #20
Dippydog
Premier Member

Yes I do have a TV set,mine has a dvd player built into the back of it but I've never used that function.I also have a vhs recorder/player which is seldom used.I actually find a few decent dramas and historical/other documentaries to watch and then of course there's the motorbike racing to watch too.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote