Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering problem

Views : 763

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2018, 12:08   #1
TomTom
Master Member

Default Steering problem

I noticed today that something was up with the steering geometry of my 1970 Amazon. It’s become a bit like one of those supermarket trolleys which I s just a bit more difficult to steer than you would like. One symptom is that the steering correction after going round a corner is a lot worse, and another one is that the car will veer to the right if I take my hands off the steering wheel. More than before anyway.

Would this just be tracking, do you think or something more serious? I did notice a nice dent in my rear bumper, so someone has knocked the car while parking.

Thanks
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 15:22   #2
Faust
Master Member

When you say the steering correction is a "lot worse" it's hard to know exactly what you mean... but there are a couple of things you can check:

(in no particular order)

Track rod ends & tie rods: are they all in good condition with no play in the ball joints? Get the car in the air and use a crowbar or similar to check for clunks or wobbles etc. No hard to replace or expensive.

Tracking: if your car has had a whack at the rear there is a possibility one of the front wheels hit a kerb with some force – this might throw the tracking out or have damaged a track rod (check as above).

Dampers and springs: if these are best their best, you'll certainly feel the car struggling when you're driving out of bends.

Anti-roll bar bushes & drop-links: all in good order? Again, you will really, really notice in the twisty bits if these parts are knackered.

Tyre pressures: they are they correct and both the same?

Steering column joint: any play in the couplings? You’ll have the collapsible type of column fitted. Not that hard to change the bushes (the parts are about 60 quid from memory and took about an hour on mine).

Steering wheel: it is fully tightened up? Might sound silly, but always check the obvious (and free!) things first. You will feel even the smallest amount of looseness in the wheel when you’re driving…

Idler arm: in good condition with no play? Pitman arm (the one that comes out of the steering box): is this also in good condition with no signs of play? (again, you’ll need to get the car in the air – both sides – to check these parts).

Steering box: I’m assuming you’ve not tightened up the adjustment screw to make the steering ‘better’? Is there the correct oil in the box, has it all leaked out? Worth having a good look.

Probably some other things that others will add – but good luck and let us know how you get on.

Mike
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 18:02   #3
TomTom
Master Member

This is really helpful Mike. Thank you.
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TomTom For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 19:09   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Top wishbones on the top of the list of checks
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 06:38   #5
davidw6092

Default suspension

Don't forget to look over all the suspension components at the back end of the car as well!Panhard rod bushes worn will make the car wander a lot,and all the other bushes have a part to play in general good handling of the car.It will probably be easiest to get someone to rock the steering wheel gently whilst you look at all the front end components,you are looking for "lost " movement in everything.
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidw6092 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 11:44   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

I instantly said to myself "over tightened steering box" when I read the first post. It's very important to have that correctly adjusted with the Pitman arm in the straight ahead position. Check that the marks on the arm and the steering box shaft are aligned. Probably need to take the nut off for that task. If when you're driving straight on a flat road the steering wheel settles a bit to the right or left take this into account when you do the adjustment.

I posted the following on Brickboard yesterday re a 140 steering box. Most of the content is relevant here and I didn't want to retype it.
"Lining up the marks is essential. Adjustment is made when the wheels are exactly in the straight ahead position. On an unworn box there will always be a bit of play at the steering wheel. 1" to 1 1/2" either side of centre is good but although the manual shows adjusting on the bench with a spring weight gauge doing it by feel is fine. It mustn't be adjusted too tight. With the front wheels off the ground, jack stands under the lower A arms there should be no tight spot when you move the steering wheel across the centre position.
New steering worms aren't available, they are part of the steering shaft. Box can be rebushed and reshimmed. This will not revive a box with a worn worm. If the lower bush is worn it will allow the shaft to move and that will quickly wear a new seal and it will start to leak again but just a new seal may cure the leak for many more miles. Easy to fit with the Pitman arm off.
A basic idea as to how much wear the worm has is by looking at the number of threads showing above the adjuster lock nut. 2 is good, 1 is pretty worn and less, very worn. Adjustment is still possible at the expense of more free play in the steering but with this design of box this play is always there to some degree and you get used to it. If you move the arm on the spline you will get a tight spot when you're driving and when cornering it will feel pretty nasty when a bend matches this spot.
Grease is not advised as it just clumps and dries out. If going with that idea there are some liquid steering box greases which do flow and are about 160 weight. Getting out the grease you have put in will be a problem.
What to do? Check the old box for worm wear by adjusting on the bench and reviewing the number of threads on the adjuster. Check for movement on the lower bush, If OK replace lower seal. If you're up to it dismantle the whole box. Wash and inspect everything, Check worm for wear marks and galling. Rebuild if OK. Consider rebuilding with new bushes. They need to be reamed to fit the shaft. A kit is available."

Yes, check all of the things suggested in the other posts.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 12:09   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Forum;

Good info by Derek as usual!...you mean the solution is not simply wanging down on the St Box adjustment...?
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 12:31   #8
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw6092 View Post
Don't forget to look over all the suspension components at the back end of the car as well!Panhard rod bushes worn will make the car wander a lot,and all the other bushes have a part to play in general good handling of the car.It will probably be easiest to get someone to rock the steering wheel gently whilst you look at all the front end components,you are looking for "lost " movement in everything.
^^THIS!^^ Panhard Rod bushes result in shopping trolley-like steering
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote