Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2 x headunits / CD players (850 & x70)

Views : 691

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2016, 10:32   #1
Turbodave
VOC Member

Default 2 x headunits / CD players (850 & x70)

I have a couple of old original Volvo units here.

First is a CD / cassette combo from an 850.

Second is the 3 disc effort from an x70 series.

I have the code for the latter but suspect said code may be wrong.

That's about all I know sadly, unsure if these are of use to anybody but if they are then they can be sent by courier.

Cheers
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2016, 10:37   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

How much?

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2016, 12:13   #3
Turbodave
VOC Member

To be honest, they've sat on a shelf for a year but if somebody wants either or both and they cover the costs and chuck a token gesture in for a few beers then they're welcome to them.

I can't guarantee they work, though I'm confident the 850 unit was fine and I'm told the x70 unit also worked however I obtained the code from FRV Volvo based on the old registration and it won't accept.

I've no idea if they can be decoded using the serial numbers or bypassed but they're off no use to me so I have no inclination to investigate further.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2016, 16:18   #4
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Dave

Hope you good. My post re broken roof bar clips relates of course to the bars I bought from you - I am well hacked off especially as you seem to be a bad luck story - the duct tape on the load cover failed also - within a day of installation !!!!!

Have you any knowledge / views re obtaining the plastic clips ?
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2016, 16:36   #5
Turbodave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Dave

Hope you good. My post re broken roof bar clips relates of course to the bars I bought from you - I am well hacked off especially as you seem to be a bad luck story - the duct tape on the load cover failed also - within a day of installation !!!!!

Have you any knowledge / views re obtaining the plastic clips ?
If it's the small plastic clips that cover the bolt holes in the roof bars that were inside an Ikea freezer bag with the bolts and these were damaged or lost, I can certainly locate a replacement set and post them down to you.

I'm confused by the failed duct tape though. The load cover was taped together with the bars using low tack 3M masking tape and then with parcel tape, thus easier to remove said parcel tape when unpacking and then it was all wrapped with cardboard and taped again.

Not sure why the duct tape would fail within a day of installation... there was no duct tape used and the tape that was used for wrapping should have all been removed before the cover was fitted?

Slightly confused... but I have some spare roof bars clips and bolts that I can post though again, these were all securely attached inside the parcel, but can get some replacements to you no problem.

Cheers
Old Nov 25th, 2016, 17:41   #6
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Dave
Re the bars it is the blue and grey plastic clips which hold the roofline section I am on about - absolutely not your fault - a dopey mate manhandled them and broke 3 of the clips !!! If you can get your hands on some delivery to 10 KNIGHTON ROAD E7 0EE Would be much appreciated. My request for help had thus far drawn a blank.

Re the load cover it was not the packing which was the problem - the cover is in fact torn along the length of the bar on the southern face. If you have an idea for a fix pls let me know.

All the best

Paul
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 13:19   #7
Turbodave
VOC Member

Not an issue on the clips, will get a few posted off to you on Monday.

I'm still confused by the load cover - was the packing damaged in any way? I assume you mean it's torn where the vinyl wraps round the sprung bar that clips in to the rear panels when the cover is pulled shut?

The manner in which it was wrapped with the rood bars means it shouldn't have been in any danger of being damaged by the courier plus it was wrapped up so unless there were mega hashy, ie dropping it out the wagon at 50mph and letting it slide along the M1... then I'm not sure!

Can you pop some images up as I'm still not 100% understanding what's damaged more so as you say the duct tape failed within a day of installation and it's torn along the edge... but I didn't use duct tape.

I take it it arrived wrapped in the cardboard boxes and taped up round the outside completely with the brown parcel tape? Did it look like it'd been opened and resealed? I only used blue masking to loosely hold the cover and roof bars together, then parcel tape over the masking tape to give it strength then wrapped in cardboard and the fully taped with a roll of brown parcel tape again!

Old Nov 26th, 2016, 13:55   #8
Richard_TD
Master Member

I'd be interested in the 850 stereo if it's still available.

If you like I can swap it for the load cover you sold me last year, which you can come to an arrangement with Bigfella about.
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 15:28   #9
Turbodave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_TD View Post
I'd be interested in the 850 stereo if it's still available.

If you like I can swap it for the load cover you sold me last year, which you can come to an arrangement with Bigfella about.
Welcome to it Richard - I'll double check the exact model number this evening and check if there's a code written on it, never thought to check. I think it may have come from my old 850 T5 but it was found in a cupboard full of things I've hoarded for years so it's origins are a bit sketchy! Assuming that is the case, I should be able to find the registration number (now long scrapped!) and that might help get a code. This is all pure speculation I hasten to add!

Will figure out what's actually happened with the load cover I sent south, still not fully understanding the issue... was all in good order when I had it in the car then sat unused in the garage whilst the car went back to its usual "van" mode but will get to the bottom of it.

Cheers
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 23:39   #10
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Dave

Thanks for coming back to me. Yes you are right the parcel was taped and bubble wrapped to the hilt. As you suggest the material is torn the full length over the metal bar. I taped it and it failed. I am at a loss as to how this could have happened in transit but it is not the end of the world - getting another years ticket on the ol gal as I have just done is of far greater consequence and I have no doubt you sold the cover to me in good nick and in good faith.

If you are able to supply a set of 4 ? Of the plastic clips I will be more than happy and shall just pray the cover does not completely fail. Like I say not the end of the world by any means !