Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tesco diesel in d5

Views : 15043

Replies : 96

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2015, 12:21   #81
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
What a load of twaddle!
What is??
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 12:55   #82
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
What is??
The post before mine saying that the diesel in this country isn't suitable for Euro 4/5/6 engines, in fact the whole post is misinformed rubbish.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2015, 14:11   #83
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
The post before mine saying that the diesel in this country isn't suitable for Euro 4/5/6 engines, in fact the whole post is misinformed rubbish.
He's maybe confused diesel with veggie oil.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo145 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 19:51   #84
Simon Jones
Premier Member

There have been issues reported with the percentage of bio fuel now being mixed in with diesel (and petrol). It tends to make some of the rubber seals and fuel lines perish prematurely.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 21:41   #85
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
There have been issues reported with the percentage of bio fuel now being mixed in with diesel (and petrol). It tends to make some of the rubber seals and fuel lines perish prematurely.
I have heard as much as 30% bio, I knew it was 5 to10% but apparently the upper linit has been raised recently.
Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 15:46   #86
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Just stumbled across this thread... my mum has a '08 C30 1.6 Diesel which broke down and would not start in April last year (2014). She has had the car from new and 9 times out of 10 it gets filled at Tesco. The cause of the breakdown was wax deposits in the fuel filter - the garage (Indy - Voltech Motors in Hull) saved the fuel and the filter to show us.

As a precaution my dad had the fuel filter changed on his XC70 - again generally Tesco fuel used. There was wax deposits but no enough to have caused a problem. At that point - the car was 12 weeks old.

Hence Tesco is a last resort for us now...
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 16:26   #87
tt82
Forum Support Team

Interesting! Has the C30 been Volvo Main Dealer serviced all it's life or has it visited other garages? The Gen III V70/XC70/S80 have the fuel filter changed every other service interval, with some people reccomending it's done at every service. I wonder if the other models are the same and if it's been adhered to?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 13:00   #88
Ben Bhraggie

Default Can of worms?

Distilling food into fuel is nonsense when the world is awash with oil. I know the oil will eventually run out but with people dying of hunger does this waste of food [or the waste of food production facilities, land] help our fuel greedy lives. I am caught in the fuel trap, car is necessary, car is enjoyed, I wouldn't want to be without one.
Ben Bhraggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 14:32   #89
rich1068
I've Been Banned

Just to revive this one...

I've carried out rigorous scientific tests (alternating between Shell and Texaco when I remember) and my D5 XC90 definitely prefers Shell Regular. Texaco and Shell stations are placed very handily near my home and workplace so they're the brands I pretty much use all the time. The car just seems to be smoother and more responsive after 50 quids worth of Shell rather than Texaco.

Does anyone know if there's much difference between the two? Pretty sure I'm not imagining it.
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2015, 09:04   #90
scutle

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltide View Post
Thought I would share my recent experience with tesco diesel in our s60 d5 56 plate.
3 weeks ago car serviced. We had to travel to the west Midlands and back to Durham so my wife filled up at tesco bishop Auckland with a whopping 12p off a litre from the shopping. I had to make a 70 mile journey so reset the CPU to see if the mpg had improved post service. To my horror I averaged 34.6 on a journey that should see 40+.
Checked garage had actually changed air filter. Checked injector pipes hoses etc.
2 days later we set off for w.MIDs.
Mpg peaked at 37.8 around manc and levelled out for the rest of the motorway leg. Dropped to 37.1 at wombourne.
Topped up the remaining third of a tank with 6 gallon of shell diesel. Mpg started climbing again immediately when it had been falling on the single track roads. 200 miles home and the average had risen to 40.1. I would normally expect to see an average of 44-45 altogether.
I realise that this is hardly scientific but the gauges have proved reliable and consistent. Thought I had a problem till I topped up with shell.
Should have smelled a rat with 12p off.

I tend to keep away from supermarket fuel cause of poor MPG & engine problems
scutle is offline   Reply With Quote