Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Service costs

Views : 39758

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 12:23   #41
Clan
Experienced Member

Not really , thats what servicing is for , the car can only be declared roadworthy on the day of the inspection .. what if it fails in 10 months , a ball joint breaks ? You cant expect the MOT station to be liable can you . Servicing is a different matter . you have an "expert" of the marque looking over your car , he knows whats likely to be failing at what sort of time / mileage and makes his recommendations , he will estimate to the best of his knowledge whether those 5 mm brake pads will last to the next service or not .. whether when turning the front hubs back and forth on the lift , that they seem a little stiff compared to usual . the MOT would have passed them as no play but they could be semi-siezed and all of a sudden that hard dirt inside taking up the play turns to dust leaving 6 mm of lateral play ...
The car may have just had new wishbones and the original bolts re-used , one could break at any moment , ( I've seen the results personaly of this on an 850) MOT arent interested in that

The MOT will have passed that 17% efficient handbrake whilst the person doing the service knows its capable of 40% .
those fog lamps are dull , there are only 2 not 4 tail lamps working on that V40 ,but still passed the test ... That oil leak from the angle gear is going to make it run dry and ruin it long before the next MOT .. That fuel filter is still the original one ( 140000 miles ) MOT arent interested ... you wondered why the engine ran out of power at 4000 rpm That lower Radiator hose clip on that V40 is rusted through , wont be long before you loose all the coolant in 2 seconds flat ..

That failing wheel bearing droning away in the background , no play so passes MOT , the owner adapts and doesnt notice the gradual increase in droning .. ( Youd be surprised how often this is the case )

Get the picture ?
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 12:39   #42
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Servicing costs up here are RIDICULOUS. £95 an hour roughly. Mothers old car, a 2000 Y plate s40 1.8 sport went in for its last service and new front brake bads and total bill was £515!! £350 for service and rest was supply and fit new front pads!! I put my car to non Volvo an s60 D5 se Sport and it was £160 for service though had to supply my own oil as Arnold Clark would only sell them a 45 gallon drum and he couldnt justify the price for 1 car.

Should add that they also wanted to replace the rear discs and pads are they were severly worn due to the age of the car. Funny that since they had been replaced the years before............ CAUGHT!! Well and truly!!! lol

Last edited by 4wheeldriver; Feb 14th, 2009 at 13:30.
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 16:29   #43
harrymojo

Default After warranty, shop around

Once the vehicle is out of warranty, shop around for lower service costs. My Volvo dealer charges around £280.00 for my XC70 to be serviced but, my local, knowledgeable and very reliable local garage will do the same service (and re-set the service interval message), for just £150.00 - no contest! Only use Volvo for servicing until the warranty runs out.
harrymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 17:20   #44
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
Servicing costs up here are RIDICULOUS. £95 an hour roughly. Mothers old car, a 2000 Y plate s40 1.8 sport went in for its last service and new front brake bads and total bill was £515!! £350 for service and rest was supply and fit new front pads!! I put my car to non Volvo an s60 D5 se Sport and it was £160 for service though had to supply my own oil as Arnold Clark would only sell them a 45 gallon drum and he couldnt justify the price for 1 car.

Should add that they also wanted to replace the rear discs and pads are they were severly worn due to the age of the car. Funny that since they had been replaced the years before............ CAUGHT!! Well and truly!!! lol
£165 for fitting new pads, the robbing gits.

My local Indy Volvo garage, where I will be getting my car serviced, when its due. Quoted me £190 inc Vat to supply and fit genuine Volvo front disks and pads on a 54 plate S40 2.0D SE.
catch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 20:58   #45
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Qoute from Volvo Customer services to me was that I could take the car ANYWHERE to be serviced while under the warranty provided they used only genuine Volvo parts for it with no adverse effect on my warranty at any time.
Old Feb 17th, 2009, 08:17   #46
Nocomplaints1977
S40R The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No its not ,

quote from your MOT certificate:

" WARNING A test certificate is NOT evidence that the vehicle is in a satisfactory condition"

so that just leaves the servicing record and signed service check sheets that the vehicle has been checked to be in a roadworthy condition ....
Neither is a service since you could drive out from a service just as you could an MOT and a part fail, therefore neither is proof hence why inspections are sometime carried out on cars involved in incidents. Servicing just goes towards maintaining a roadworthy car and is still no guarantee.

Last edited by Nocomplaints1977; Feb 17th, 2009 at 08:20.
Nocomplaints1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2009, 10:05   #47
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocomplaints1977 View Post
Neither is a service since you could drive out from a service just as you could an MOT and a part fail, therefore neither is proof hence why inspections are sometime carried out on cars involved in incidents. Servicing just goes towards maintaining a roadworthy car and is still no guarantee.

I totally agree

But I think we are getting a bit side tracked from the main debate that now appears to dominate this thread, Volvo servicing costs

And in regards to Timberlake possibly opting to miss a £300 oil change on a vehicle that has only covered 1500 miles.

So whilst I accept I was wrong regards the MOT, in regard to condition at anytime after issue [On the basis of it's pointless trying to defend an obviously indefenceable position] But I was just so excited to be able to give Clan a Gotcha, which I reckon still stands.

As his argument that a missing garage service stamp, could invalidate the insurance. Because nowhere will you find such wording in the T&C of car insurance. Because a garage stamp entered into a service book 11 months prior to an accident, is not relevant to a vehicles condition 11 months on.

So come on Clan, accept your Gotcha with pride
catch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2009, 16:04   #48
timberlake

I am not one to drive an unroadworthy car - as catch22 points out the issue is a car that has done 1500 miles in 12 months & just been back to the main dealers for a "warranty expiry" check. If the car had done a significant mileage or not just been to the dealers it would not occur to me to skip a service.

My point was there is no allowance made for cars that have been little used (which as catch22 points out is pretty stupid what with depreciation etc.) - but sometimes it happens. Thanks for the thoughts!
timberlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 13:30   #49
Guru
Premier Member

In Slovakia it's 60€ an hour for labour, 50€ for plain diagnostics, but you'll always end up paying for at least 3 hours of "virtual" maitenance.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 11:40   #50
asbo1970
volvo v50

Wink

Hello
Thought i would put my bit in regarding servicing
I have just had my V50 05 plate diesel serviced at 62500 miles basically 1 year by an independent Garage
Oil filter replaced used genuine volvo parts
engine flush
replaced rear washer unit
Oil replaced
Also MOT done as it was due
I was charged including labour £175.00
Now i think that is pretty good compared to what my dealer was going to charge almost double.

Asbo1970
asbo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote