Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

road rage.... :-(

Views : 2461

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 21:51   #31
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacV50 View Post
Fair enough. Sometimes it's just not possible to avoid the idiots
yea you're right though, with hindsight I should have slowed down more and moved left anyway. I definitely made errors handling it and That's what I'm kicking myself about. Like I say, live and learn. thankfully no harm done, and maybe the other drive got home and realised what an idiot they were and will be safer now... we can hope!
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 23:45   #32
MikeGMT
VOC Member

I experienced a bit of road rage a few years ago on the M18 just past Doncaster where it drops down to two lanes. Just tooling along in L1 minding my own business, up ahead there was a car and looking further ahead a HGV. Caught up with the car and the road behind was clear so moved to L2 and having overtaken moved back to L1. Nothing untoward there, however it must of upset them for some reason because they immediately floored it and went past me. Now call it intuition or sixth sense whatever but I just had a feeling what they were going to do, and sure enough they did it, pulled in front and brake tested me. Knowing there was no traffic coming up behind I just moved back out to L2 without even having to brake, they looked a right fool and I did have to smile to myself. Things didn't end there though, I could see them racing up in L1 in the N/R side mirror planning to undertake (I was still out in L2 about to pass the HGV) but things didn't go to plan as they had misjudged the speed. By the time they had caught up there wasn't enough room to jump in front of me because of the HGV and they had to slam on again or end up under the crash bar.

Who knows what goes on in their minds.
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 16:07   #33
chandra

Thing to remember is that things can get ugly fast when people are angry behind the wheel.

Best to walk away or drive away from trouble(if you can)

An incident quite recently, witnessed a furious male (in a rage/seeing red) driver of an SUV almost kill someone.That person was a pedestrian and they subsequently challenged the SUV drivers reckless driving in a surburban street. The pedestrian had to hastily walk away as they were going to be attacked by this rage filled driver (god knows what they were so angry about, but they shoud not have been behind the wheel).
chandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 10:56   #34
Welton
Premier Member

I think this country would benefit from some 'public service broadcasts' on TV to remind everyone how to drive......

Lesson 1:

When you are approaching parked cars on YOUR side of the road you must stop and giveway to oncoming traffic - don't try and squeeze through and nearly smash the wing mirror off the car traveling freely the other way.

Lesson 2:

When you approach a roundabout and intent to go straight ahead - don't indicate right on the approach - this angers the man in the Grey Volvo S40 on the opposite side of the roundabout because he thinks you intend to cross his path from the right.

(there are many other lessons)..
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 14:44   #35
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I think this country would benefit from some 'public service broadcasts' on TV to remind everyone how to drive......

Lesson 1:

When you are approaching parked cars on YOUR side of the road you must stop and giveway to oncoming traffic - don't try and squeeze through and nearly smash the wing mirror off the car traveling freely the other way.

Lesson 2:

When you approach a roundabout and intent to go straight ahead - don't indicate right on the approach - this angers the man in the Grey Volvo S40 on the opposite side of the roundabout because he thinks you intend to cross his path from the right.

(there are many other lessons)..
Lesson 3:
Unless you are on a group B rally stage, counter steer and Scandinavian flick aren't required. If you are turning left, steer left. NOT right then left. The same applies to right turns... A lot of people seem to think their fiesta is as long as an HGV
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 14:54   #36
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
Lesson 3:
if you are turning left, steer left. NOT right then left. The same applies to right turns... A lot of people seem to think their fiesta is as long as an HGV
Haha I've seen loads of this now, even Mrs_Welton comments on it, there is no reason to do it at all, quite disconcerting when you're driving right past them at the time.
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 14:58   #37
Welton
Premier Member

Lesson 4:

If you really must park on the wrong side of the carriageway half on/off the pavement facing oncoming traffic...TURN OFF your headlights immediately; your beam pattern points to the LEFT!!
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 17:59   #38
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

May I suggest 'W' that if you are going strait ahead at a roundabout and there is traffic approaching in the same exit you intend turning into, a left turn indicate would let them know you are not about to turn across them? It can be quite annoying if they do not indicate at all and leave it to "guess which way I am going". As we are discussing driving habits, I have what I call ( when talking to myself,) 'Steam giving way to Sail,' it goes like this , When a lorry or tractor + trailer is going up hill and something,especially a car is coming downhill,even if there is an obstruction on the uphill side of the road,(probably me and my dogs) Why do most of the cars not give way? do they not realise it is a hell of a lot easier for them to get going again than the probably laden vehicles they are forcing to stop! Maybe they should spend a day in the passenger seat of a heavily laden H.G.V. it also applies to giving way on tight corners when large trucks have to go way across the centre of the road to progress, do some people not 'Think ahead?' There,I feel better now.

Regards,Keith.
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 18:10   #39
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
May I suggest 'W' that if you are going strait ahead at a roundabout and there is traffic approaching in the same exit you intend turning into, a left turn indicate would let them know you are not about to turn across them? It can be quite annoying if they do not indicate at all and leave it to "guess which way I am going". As we are discussing driving habits, I have what I call ( when talking to myself,) 'Steam giving way to Sail,' it goes like this , When a lorry or tractor + trailer is going up hill and something,especially a car is coming downhill,even if there is an obstruction on the uphill side of the road,(probably me and my dogs) Why do most of the cars not give way? do they not realise it is a hell of a lot easier for them to get going again than the probably laden vehicles they are forcing to stop! Maybe they should spend a day in the passenger seat of a heavily laden H.G.V. it also applies to giving way on tight corners when large trucks have to go way across the centre of the road to progress, do some people not 'Think ahead?' There,I feel better now.

Regards,Keith.
I do the same, I always give way when I'm heading down hill, just makes sense. Regarding the HGV on tight turns, unless we are talking tight roundabouts where they require 2.5 lanes for the legitimate maneover then I'm less sympathetic, the majority of lorries and heavy vehicles that cut the hazard line on corners, is becausw they are traveling too fast for conditions. This is mostly on single lane B roads
The Following User Says Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 18:57   #40
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Evening Lockstock, I was thinking ref. the H.G.V's more so in towns/villages where the roads were not built for the size of trucks we have today,and they have trouble getting around some tight corners. But yes as you say, you still get a few Cowboys,always will! Attitude seems to be, My trucks bigger than your car,so get out of my way.

Regards,Keith.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post: