Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pre-conditioning, Parking Climate, Remote Start - Confused!

Views : 22432

Replies : 94

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2018, 23:49   #71
SpaceBoy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
And of course we are assuming that this is going to affect all cars and it isnt just an issue with SpaceBoy's car.....
The problem is, the change in the operation of the preconditioning which now requires the car to be plugged in is actually reflected clearly in the latest user manual.
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 08:41   #72
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy42 View Post
Volvo don't appear to issue a change log for different versions of their
software they are about to program into your car and as far as I know, you can’t go into a the Sensus menu system and request the version number that is installed now. Not a great start. (You can however find map data and voice command version numbers I think.)

So to help Volvo out, I’ll create a software change release note for them for the updated release I have on my car:-

o Added a new start up sequence which now pointlessly lists all the safety systems on you car with a green dot next to them to say they work instead of sensibly actually only notifying the user if one of the systems is not working.

o Model - T8: Disabled the previously really useful feature to precondition your car using VOC app when the car is not connected to a live charging electrical source.

o Model - T8: Starting parking climate direct from the VOC app or from within the car now ignores the state of the heated seat and heated steering wheel check boxes in the parking climate menu in the car. It is now not possible to preheat the seats or steering wheel using parking climate directly. (Aux heater for heating and air con for cooling still work as before.)

o Model - T8: The time parking climate runs for has been drastically reduced from around fifteen minutes to around two. So now you need to know precisely when you are leaving for home otherwise the cooling/heating will have stopped ages ago before you arrive at the car.

Anyone spotted any more? Will be interesting to hear what the garage have to say in response to these issues Philip and when they think Volvo will get around to fixing them.
When you say preconditioning from the app doesn’t work without the car being plugged in, do you mean cooling? I would agree with this but the precondition heating works fine when not plugged in, and will run for at least 10 minutes if not more. I’ve got the ‘checklist’ software (delivered Jan 18) and have not had any updates since.

Why would they make it so you can’t use a fuel fired auxiliary heater away from the mains? (Provides fuel in the tank exceeds the minimum)
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 09:31   #73
MaDProFF
Master Member

The aux fuel fire heater (using PARKING CLIMATE on VOC APP) on my XC60 T8 MY19 works when the car is not plugged in, as well as when plugged in.

I also read a few comments regarding time on the aux heater, I can only comment on how fast it warms the cabin up, very quick, in a few minutes it is a lot warmer than the outside temperature.

I can also state the Aux Heater also fires up when the temperature is greater than 10ºc I do not think it will fire up though when the inside and outside temperatures are close to each other.

Seems so many conflicting views on this.

I have not tried pre conditioning though with heated steering wheel or seats.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 15:30   #74
SpaceBoy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
When you say preconditioning from the app doesn’t work without the car being plugged in, do you mean cooling? I would agree with this but the precondition heating works fine when not plugged in, and will run for at least 10 minutes if not more. I’ve got the ‘checklist’ software (delivered Jan 18) and have not had any updates since.

Why would they make it so you can’t use a fuel fired auxiliary heater away from the mains? (Provides fuel in the tank exceeds the minimum)
Here's what the current user manual says for the model of T8 I have (from the Android Volvo user manual app which pulls down the latest version):-

VOLVO ON CALL XC90 Twin Engine
2017, English (United Kingdom)

(i) NOTE - Preconditionlng is available only when the car is connected to an electrical socket A charging station which is not always active, e.g. on account of a timer, may cause preconditioning to malfunction.

If the car is not connected to an electrical socket, it is still possible to cool the passenger compartment
briefly in a warm climate by starting preconditioning directly.
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 18:14   #75
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy42 View Post
Here's what the current user manual says for the model of T8 I have (from the Android Volvo user manual app which pulls down the latest version):-

VOLVO ON CALL XC90 Twin Engine
2017, English (United Kingdom)

(i) NOTE - Preconditionlng is available only when the car is connected to an electrical socket A charging station which is not always active, e.g. on account of a timer, may cause preconditioning to malfunction.

If the car is not connected to an electrical socket, it is still possible to cool the passenger compartment
briefly in a warm climate by starting preconditioning directly.
That reads to me like cooling (which I’ve found to be the case). Also some markets have electric aux heater not fuel, which may be leading to confusion in the documents?? In the T8 quick start guide it emphasises the importance of preconditioning in the cold to extend the battery range.

It’s a mystery!
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 18:29   #76
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
That reads to me like cooling (which I’ve found to be the case). Also some markets have electric aux heater not fuel, which may be leading to confusion in the documents?? In the T8 quick start guide it emphasises the importance of preconditioning in the cold to extend the battery range.

It’s a mystery!
Just looked up parking heater on the iOS manual

“The heater's maximum running time is 40 minutes.

NOTE
Make sure there is enough fuel in the car's normal fuel tank if the parking heater needs to be used.

Make sure that there is enough charge in the hybrid battery if the parking heater needs to be used”

Now, not actually sure why you need hybrid battery, but this page in the manual accords with how the system works on my MY18.5

I think pre-conditioning is maybe pre-(air)conditioning (ie cooling) in some descriptions?
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 18:50   #77
MaDProFF
Master Member

Do hate the use of the world pre-conditioning in this context, it is so open ended, and never really know what it is actually doing, I always thought originally it was all about hybrid battery preparation before driving, as well as other things.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 19:53   #78
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Just looked up parking heater on the iOS manual

“The heater's maximum running time is 40 minutes.

NOTE
Make sure there is enough fuel in the car's normal fuel tank if the parking heater needs to be used.

Make sure that there is enough charge in the hybrid battery if the parking heater needs to be used”

Now, not actually sure why you need hybrid battery, but this page in the manual accords with how the system works on my MY18.5

I think pre-conditioning is maybe pre-(air)conditioning (ie cooling) in some descriptions?
It needs hybrid battery to run the pump of the heater I assume. I assume that because if my hybrid battery if flat as a pancake then I get the 'failed to start precon due to insufficient charge' warning. If I have a little bit left it works OK. I know this through experience and usually flick the car tile to charge as I come onto my estate to make sure there is a bit of 400v charge for the next morning's preconditioning.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 20:02   #79
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
It needs hybrid battery to run the pump of the heater I assume. I assume that because if my hybrid battery if flat as a pancake then I get the 'failed to start precon due to insufficient charge' warning. If I have a little bit left it works OK. I know this through experience and usually flick the car tile to charge as I come onto my estate to make sure there is a bit of 400v charge for the next morning's preconditioning.
That’s interesting!

Curious but interesting! As most cars (including the D5 and T6 which can be optioned with the parking heater) don’t have a massive lithium battery and make do with a 12v one which is presumably man enough to run the pumps.

I suppose the T8 may have a marginally larger cooling / heating circuit to heat the battery pack, but still?

Does the D5/T6 with parking heater have twin 12v batteries, as can often be the case on complex SUVs?

D76
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 20:02   #80
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
Do hate the use of the world pre-conditioning in this context, it is so open ended, and never really know what it is actually doing, I always thought originally it was all about hybrid battery preparation before driving, as well as other things.
Yes the terminology is confusing. Preconditioning, parking climate etc...

Anyway. When we are talking here about "preconditioning" I assume we are all talking about:- "Pre journey cabin heating using the auxiliary fuel fired heater triggered either from a mobile phone or via a pre set timer". Hopefully that is the case and we are all talking about the same thing.

And the key worry is the suggestion from SpaceBoy that the above is no longer possible unless the vehicle is plugged in.

@SpaceBoy. How long ago was your software update and has the system only worked if plugged in since?

@Anyone else. How long since you had a software update and does your vehicle run cabin heating without being plugged in?

I will start and say:- software update about Feb 18 time and mine heats the cabin no problem when not plugged in.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote