Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Continental driving with bi-xenon active lights

Views : 38309

Replies : 211

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2010, 10:35   #1
DadTo2

Question Continental driving with bi-xenon active lights

I'm looking forward to three weeks in Spain, Portugal and France in my XC60 this summer, except for one small detail.

Unless I am missing something obvious, it would seem that I will have to set my headlights to RH driving pattern each and every time I start the car.

The menu for Car settings, lights, temporary RH drive seems to be so temporary that switching off clears the setting. Is this really right, or does anyone know if there is a slightly less temporary option?
DadTo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:18   #2
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadTo2 View Post
I'm looking forward to three weeks in Spain, Portugal and France in my XC60 this summer, except for one small detail.

Unless I am missing something obvious, it would seem that I will have to set my headlights to RH driving pattern each and every time I start the car.

The menu for Car settings, lights, temporary RH drive seems to be so temporary that switching off clears the setting. Is this really right, or does anyone know if there is a slightly less temporary option?
All I do is push the button (lower dash) until the message appears telling you that you are selected to RH.
Each time you restart, the message will appear and all you need to do, is press the button on the end of the left stalk, to clear it.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:22   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:

correct - unfortunately

It does however actually make sense. The selection is temporary and resetting to the default each time you start the ensures that you will not blind the drivers in your home country, which would be easy to do

Similar to the the rear foglight ressting evertime you switch off the car - how I wish that all cars did this!!
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:39   #4
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
correct - unfortunately

It does however actually make sense. The selection is temporary and resetting to the default each time you start the ensures that you will not blind the drivers in your home country, which would be easy to do

Similar to the the rear foglight ressting evertime you switch off the car - how I wish that all cars did this!!
Something wrong here.
Every time I select the Headlights to RH, they stay in that position, until they are selected to LH.

In the RH position, you receive a message, each time you start the engine, telling you that you are selected to RH.

We are talking about the "Active Bendy Headlights"?

tem.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 15:35   #5
DadTo2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
All I do is push the button (lower dash) until the message appears telling you that you are selected to RH.
Each time you restart, the message will appear and all you need to do, is press the button on the end of the left stalk, to clear it.

tem.
Thanks for the replies... I'm not sure I have a lower dash button, but I'm going to search! I've been doing it via the cars options menu. When I turn the engine on it's always back to LH in the menu and there's no message to say it's RH, so I'm very envious! What I can't work out is if you've got a different system/lights or I've got a software problem.

Mine is a 2010 D5 SE Lux with active bendy bi-xenon lights.

It is going to be infuriating - I'll be resetting to RH 3-5 times a day for 3weeks if there's no way!
DadTo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 16:00   #6
mu71rd

have to say i thought they stayed RH until you changed them back.

will investigate tonight, as I'm off to France in the morning...
mu71rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 16:25   #7
UKDave

I've just come back from France and agree with the earlier posts. If you have the active bending headlight then you set them to RH drive by holding the on/off button on the console down for 5 seconds. A message appears saying 'Set for RH drive'. This message will appear everytime you start the car, but the headlights remain on the setting until you set them back again using the same method.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 18:03   #8
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Chaps, It appears that I must stand corrected. The lights operated in the way I described when I test drove the car a year ago, clearly there has been a software update since then to the new modus operandii

my apologies if I mislead you
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 18:11   #9
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Chaps, It appears that I must stand corrected. The lights operated in the way I described when I test drove the car a year ago, clearly there has been a software update since then to the new modus operandii

my apologies if I mislead you
Thanks for the update and apologies.

I have had my XC60, since 18th December 2008 and the headlights have operated as descriped, from day one.

tem.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 18:18   #10
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies... I'm not sure I have a lower dash button, but I'm going to search! I've been doing it via the cars options menu. When I turn the engine on it's always back to LH in the menu and there's no message to say it's RH, so I'm very envious! What I can't work out is if you've got a different system/lights or I've got a software problem.

Mine is a 2010 D5 SE Lux with active bendy bi-xenon lights.

It is going to be infuriating - I'll be resetting to RH 3-5 times a day for 3weeks if there's no way!
Mine is My 2009 D5 SE Lux, first registered 18th December 2008.
The button is situated on the bottom row, second, in from the right, I think.

Watching the golf just now and I am not going out to check, as it is chucking it down.

tem.