Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loss of power at permanent live and ignition live pins

Views : 1651

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2019, 21:53   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon J View Post
As I said above, with replacing fuse 77 I now have pin 9 (permanent live) working but still nothing at pin 10 even though fuse 14 is ok.

Where do I look next?
if you have 12v on the thick wire going into the trailer module and nothing coming out on pin 2 of plug A ( the one that goes to Pin 10 on the socket ) then either the Trailer module is faulty , or it has not had the software or it is not getting the network signals , if the rest of the lights work it is likely to be the trailer module ..
But make sure there is continuity between the pin 10 in the socket to the pin 2 in plug A on the trailer module First .
Old May 14th, 2019, 22:04   #12
Simon J
Premier Member

It’s quite a chore to get to the trailer module - half the interior trim needs to come out!

As I said above, the module had the proper software upgrade when the tow bar was installed last year. And I know I did have power to pin 10 afterwards as I specifically checked whether it came on with just the ignition or whether the engine had to be running. In the event, I discovered it came on with just the ignition so I’m now in the process of fitting a voltage sensitive relay on the trailer to trigger the auxiliary battery charging connection only once the engine is running. I was planning to connect the relay to pin 10 but if I can’t get it working I might just connect it to pin 9. That’s the usual one for battery charging anyway.

But I’ll maybe have a go at stripping out the trim tomorrow to get to the bottom of this. Very odd, and very frustrating.
Old May 14th, 2019, 22:14   #13
Simon J
Premier Member

Of course it’s not impossible that the wire for pin 10 has come loose in the socket and somehow shorted pin 9 and in doing so blew the fuse. It’s probably worth checking the socket before dismantling the interior trim!
Old May 15th, 2019, 22:01   #14
Simon J
Premier Member

OK, I got the trim panels off this evening and the heavy red wire with the grey connector is presumably the power feed to the trailer module (via the 40 amp fuse 14)? Since everything works apart from pin 10, it seems reasonable to assume that power is getting to the module so the question is why is it not getting to pin 10. I tried to extract the plug with all the wires to the tow bar socket but without success. It’s obviously latched in place but I couldn’t work out how to release it. I’ll have another look at it in the morning.

It’s strange that the fuse for pin 9 blew and perhaps that’s related to the loss of power to pin 10, but how? Does pin 10 have a separate fuse other than the general 40 amp one that presumably covers everything apart from in 9. And how does pin 9 connect to the 15 amp fuse since pin 9 is powered from the trailer module?

Edit: OK, looking again at the instructions for connecting the trailer module I see that there’s no orange wire (pin 9) connected to the trailer module plug so pin 9 must be fed from the circuit that supplies the 12v socket in the load compartment - hence the 15 amp fuse 77.

Last edited by Simon J; May 15th, 2019 at 22:12.
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 22:33   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
OK, I got the trim panels off this evening and the heavy red wire with the grey connector is presumably the power feed to the trailer module (via the 40 amp fuse 14)? Since everything works apart from pin 10, it seems reasonable to assume that power is getting to the module so the question is why is it not getting to pin 10. I tried to extract the plug with all the wires to the tow bar socket but without success. It’s obviously latched in place but I couldn’t work out how to release it. I’ll have another look at it in the morning.

It’s strange that the fuse for pin 9 blew and perhaps that’s related to the loss of power to pin 10, but how? Does pin 10 have a separate fuse other than the general 40 amp one that presumably covers everything apart from in 9. And how does pin 9 connect to the 15 amp fuse since pin 9 is powered from the trailer module?

Edit: OK, looking again at the instructions for connecting the trailer module I see that there’s no orange wire (pin 9) connected to the trailer module plug so pin 9 must be fed from the circuit that supplies the 12v socket in the load compartment - hence the 15 amp fuse 77.
pin 9 is separate to pin 10 , pin 9 goes direct to the fuse 77 which comes from the battery .

No , pin 10 comes directly out of the trailer module , have you got live going in the red wire to the trailer module and coming out at pin 2 on plug A going to the socket ? you need the ignition on of course .

yes you are right about pin 9 being fed by the same wire as the 12v power socket .

I suspect the trailer module at the moment ..
Old May 15th, 2019, 22:40   #16
Simon J
Premier Member

I haven’t yet been able to extract the grey plug with the heavy red power cable feeding the trailer module so I can’t be sure that the module is getting power. I was getting voltage at the socket on the tail light pins but when I think of it, not the full 12+V. So perhaps there’s no power in?

I’m not sure what you mean by “plug A going to the socket”. Is that the 12 way connector that connects the tow bar socket wiring to the module?
Old May 15th, 2019, 22:48   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I haven’t yet been able to extract the grey plug with the heavy red power cable feeding the trailer module so I can’t be sure that the module is getting power. I was getting voltage at the socket on the tail light pins but when I think of it, not the full 12+V. So perhaps there’s no power in?

I’m not sure what you mean by “plug A going to the socket”. Is that the 12 way connector that connects the tow bar socket wiring to the module?
yes that is the plug , all the wires should be white .... but have black numbers printed on the ends .
Old May 15th, 2019, 22:51   #18
Simon J
Premier Member

The wires to that connector are all coloured in line with the coding for the 13 pin socket and, according to the installation instructions, pin 2 is not used so there’s no wire there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EE0CC2BD-3B01-4F73-BF85-411E66778F09.jpg (69.2 KB, 10 views)
Old May 16th, 2019, 07:50   #19
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
The wires to that connector are all coloured in line with the coding for the 13 pin socket and, according to the installation instructions, pin 2 is not used so there’s no wire there.
Is that a Volvo wiring loom?

Admittedly mine is 6 years old now but as clan says all conductors are white with black number identification.

The volvo socket is also potted in that you cannot get to the terminals the wires are connected to on the 13 pin socket you plug into on hitch up as the back of the socket is filled with a jointing resin that sets hard.to prevent water ingress.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 07:55   #20
Simon J
Premier Member

Yes, it’s a genuine Volvo cable harness for the 2005 V50.

Last edited by Simon J; May 16th, 2019 at 07:58.
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon J For This Useful Post: