Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Highish mileage S60R a money pit??

Views : 14333

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 18:53   #1
jamie28

Default Highish mileage S60R a money pit??

Ive looked at a couple of s60 t5,s to replace my 850 t5, i have not found one with the spec and colour i want yet,
but looking at the prices of the s60r,s there are 2004/5 models with 70k plus mileage within my price range, all private sales so there would be no warranty.
The day to day runing costs of a t5 or an r are quite acceptable to me and i do maintain my cars myself, but the technology especially on an r will lead towards the use of garages at some point .

what is the reliability of the later models, especially with a few miles under the belt? ive looked on the forums and read about the problems on the early ones , did thease get sorted on the facelift models? and is tyre size/wear still an issue with the 4wd system? also i would buy a manual , the triptronic does not siut me.

The t5 is a fine car and i would be happy for a long time , but the r is something special and potentially a lot of car for the money.

Last edited by jamie28; Aug 27th, 2008 at 19:45.
jamie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 20:40   #2
Boxzoo

That's a good question, was thinking the same myself. Been looking at C70s but thinking I could get a nice S60R for not much more. And I was reckoning the prices of them will fall pretty bad in the next year or so if the new car tax gets introduced and people think they're soon going to be paying £500 a year in car tax.
Boxzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 20:47   #3
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Volvo's latest 'R's.

For many Volvo's now discontinued R's were seriously flawed in many respects.

Their Haldex AWD system is costly to maintain, a couple of regulars on this site will tell you of expensive failures in their transmissions.

Then we get to the internal design of the engine, wide bores, closely spaced that are inclined to crack even without increases in engine outputs.

In fairness these weaknesses may be covered by some form of extended warranty by a prudent used purchaser.

My money would go on a post '05 MY T5 which is powered by the engine that should have been the definitive R engine in the first place. The narrower bores of this engine render it practically bomb proof in standard or modified form and the absense of the fragile Haldex system is an absolute blessing. That latest T5 engine has the revised inlet tract and KKK turbo common with these R engines.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:39   #4
santa20

My lower mileage 04 (still under 40k) would have been a money pit if it wasn't for the warranty I got.

As I keep telling people, it's great when it works.

In the last week I have had to get a wheel bearing replaced, both front shocks and the front supension arms.
santa20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:09   #5
burchi

I agree with the comments already made. I have a MY2004 V70R and it's a great car but without a warranty would be a bankruptcy tool!

Had all sorts replaced, front shocks, fuel pump, numerous sensors, wheel bearings to name but a few things and most recently the whole engine was replaced also due to the block cracking. Haven't had any transmission issues yet though but there are a number I have heard of especially in the USA that have had angle gear/transfer box problems but they don't seem to be as bad as the previous model AWD systems by any means.

So, I wouldn't consider owning one without the warranty. Great fun when they are working all OK though.

Hope this helps

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 21:47   #6
evoallover

Default I was

well i don't think i will be getting one i have a S60S and wanted a R. I had a evo before, and i wanted the R because of its good handling. But i don't like what i hear the evo was a black hole to.
evoallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:23   #7
V70 Geoff
A Volvo is essential

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie28 View Post
Ive looked at a couple of s60 t5,s to replace my 850 t5, i have not found one with the spec and colour i want yet,
but looking at the prices of the s60r,s there are 2004/5 models with 70k plus mileage within my price range, all private sales so there would be no warranty.
The day to day runing costs of a t5 or an r are quite acceptable to me and i do maintain my cars myself, but the technology especially on an r will lead towards the use of garages at some point ..
I have had my 51k 2003 S60R for a year now and it has not missed a beat. It is one of the best cars I have ever owned and I do love my cars. I had wanted to find a vehicle that did what my Imprezza did but without all the noise, fuss, spoilers and backache. The original owner had various minor problems when the car was new (all fixed under warranty)but it then worked ok for him without isssue for 3 years. It had a faulty ignition coil (giving missfire under heavy load) that I replaced at time of purchase and I upgraded the engine top mount but that is it. I also put it on Dunlop 9000 tyres as they work perfectly on it, much better than the Michelins it had on that tend to tramline. It pays to get the steering geometry set up by an expert as it improves the handling beyond belief.

I think that if you buy a high performance car you have to budget for some trouble as everything is that bit more stressed but the S60R is so cheap for what it is that it is a risk worth taking and it drives in a way that you will really want to experience. It is just the bargain performance car of all time at present. Buy one and take out an insurance if you are worried!

Good luck G
V70 Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:29   #8
ZOLA25

Hi All,just bought a 95 k s60 r for less than 5k.Only one owner.Car did need some tlc,all the wiper blades,new rear tyres,pads front and rear will need changing soon also.Engine and interior are close to perfect but angle gear was leaking.That was repaired by my son who just happens to be a Volvo Tech so that was £150 parts and I paid for his car tax.BARGAIN!!Fuel pump module went last week and cost £537 from A Volvo dealer so expect some big bills.If the car lets me down again it will be sold but I have to say the performance is awesome and it makes you forgive its shortcomings.Volvo did say thwo struts were leaking slightly and quoted me £1300 to supply and fit but no way is that necessary yet.Basically be wary of cars that are too cheap.It must have a FVSH(like mine)or walk away.
They are great cars but pricey so try to avoid visits to dealers and have a son who is a Volvo Tech.I wouldnt have bought one without him.
Steve
ZOLA25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 14:43   #9
scottishv8owner

Blimey, I must have been lucky then, I've owned my R for 18 months and have changed the tyres and pads all round, but thats it after 14k miles.

The annual service by the main dealer showed nothing up
scottishv8owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 19:28   #10
V70 Geoff
A Volvo is essential

Smile

Hey guys, it is still working 100%, never misses a beat and has cost very little to run. No complaints at all!
V70 Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote