Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weak Headlights - Contact Volvo

Views : 61359

Replies : 293

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2016, 10:03   #181
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Hi all!
Sorry for refreshing old topic, but have read all advices in this thread and need to ask - what did you use to clean the projectors? Just a dry cloth/brush or some glass-cleaning foam aswell?

Have recently bought 05 V50 T5 AWD and got an unpleasant jaw-drop during the night ride. Even with replaced, decent bulbs, those lights are incredibly bad! Comparing to my old 03' S40 with reflector lights and Nightbreakers fitted, it fells like driving with one (dirty) light on
Was thinking its the power output or other issue but I can see "its how it is". Will carry out the headlamp level adjustment and cleaning out the lenses, as advised, hope it will help a little.
Microfibre cloth.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 13:21   #182
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Clan - thanks, will do as first thing as I can just see they are too low (and not even in line, somebody didnt bother properly...)

StatusRed - dry or with glass cleaner?
I am double-checking as had done lamp cleaning on my previous S40 and people were warning not to use any glass cleaning (because of antifog film inside of glass).
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 16:31   #183
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Clan - thanks, will do as first thing as I can just see they are too low (and not even in line, somebody didnt bother properly...)

StatusRed - dry or with glass cleaner?
I am double-checking as had done lamp cleaning on my previous S40 and people were warning not to use any glass cleaning (because of antifog film inside of glass).
Well I used glass cleaner and there hasn't been any issues. I just made sure it was totally dry before I put it back in again to avoid condensation.

The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2016, 21:45   #184
LizardOfBodom

Guys, little help please!
Managed to disassemble d/s projector lens, cleaned it up and put it all back - made incredible difference, was stunned! Started same job on p/s lamp - zonk! One of the screws that hold reflector is barely accessible due to headlamp levelling motor, but managed to unscrew it pretty well at the angle, until its head almost touched the motor but the thread was still in! How is that suppose to come out? to me it looks like I need to dismantle the levelling motor in order to unscrew the screw properly, am I right? if so - how do you actually do it without damaging those flimsy plastics clips?
car looks sad now, with one eye crystal clear and other misty and dull
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:40   #185
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Guys, little help please!
Managed to disassemble d/s projector lens, cleaned it up and put it all back - made incredible difference, was stunned! Started same job on p/s lamp - zonk! One of the screws that hold reflector is barely accessible due to headlamp levelling motor, but managed to unscrew it pretty well at the angle, until its head almost touched the motor but the thread was still in! How is that suppose to come out? to me it looks like I need to dismantle the levelling motor in order to unscrew the screw properly, am I right? if so - how do you actually do it without damaging those flimsy plastics clips?
car looks sad now, with one eye crystal clear and other misty and dull
Ah that old chesnut.

It can take more pressure than you might at first think, it is fiddly but a job you shouldn't have to do that often. You need to get the screwdriver in at quite an angle and keep the pressure up to maintain grip on the screw head but I promise it is possible. I gave up the first time and thought the same but when I tried again I managed it by being a bit more forceful (I didn't break anything though).

Old May 10th, 2016, 09:54   #186
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Ah that old chesnut.

It can take more pressure than you might at first think, it is fiddly but a job you shouldn't have to do that often. You need to get the screwdriver in at quite an angle and keep the pressure up to maintain grip on the screw head but I promise it is possible. I gave up the first time and thought the same but when I tried again I managed it by being a bit more forceful (I didn't break anything though).
StatusRed - Its not even a problem of unscrewing the screw - managed to do so! problem is that when head of the screw touched the motor housing, there was still some thread left inside the hole! I wasnt able to take the screw out nor unscrew it more. I cant pry the motor any more as I am afraid it will break or break the plastic clip for levelling
the screw looks like original one, headlamp doesnt look like it was ever dissassembled.
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:25   #187
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
StatusRed - Its not even a problem of unscrewing the screw - managed to do so! problem is that when head of the screw touched the motor housing, there was still some thread left inside the hole! I wasnt able to take the screw out nor unscrew it more. I cant pry the motor any more as I am afraid it will break or break the plastic clip for levelling
the screw looks like original one, headlamp doesnt look like it was ever dissassembled.
This is what I mean. You have to force it to unscrew at an angle so you can keep unscrewing it past that piece of plastic. It's quite hard to explain.

Old May 10th, 2016, 11:11   #188
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
This is what I mean. You have to force it to unscrew at an angle so you can keep unscrewing it past that piece of plastic. It's quite hard to explain.
Ah, gotcha!
ok will try that, thanks for tip!
was hoping there was easier way than force it.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 00:29   #189
niggly

Default Dim Headlights

My first Volvo and my first car with zenons. They are fantastic. I live in a very rural area and do a lit of unlit lanes.
I've done a bit with VW Corrados. Their lights are pathetic which is tricky if you have a VR6 which is seriously quick.
There is a loom upgrade that people fit, costs about £60, easy to fit.
The problem with the Corrado is that the length and capacity of the wires to the headlights is such that the voltage drop by the time the current gets to the headlights is huge. The kit comprises thick wires, connectors, relays, etc, etc so the headlights pick up directly from the battery. Solves the problem.
Wonder if there is a similar problem with some Volvo models? Might be worth checking the voltage/power (I am not an auto electrician, but I hope you get my drift!) at the headlights.
niggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 13:46   #190
Leo Kalme

I'm not sure my headlights are weaker than other cars with same bulbs. I mean, those HB3 bulbs are not really bright by design but this also means that oncoming drivers will thank whoever designed these lights/bulbs. I mean, I cannot complain - of course I'd want better visibility and I do change bulbs out every now and then but it can only go so far.

Just bought some WhiteVision bulbs from Philips last week. They improved my low beam quite a bit. Will put same ones into high beam, too but overall I am quite confident about my lights ability. You will never get xenons from halogens and thank god for that, most cars I see around, have horrible xenon lights for oncoming traffic.
Leo Kalme is offline   Reply With Quote