Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are XC60 owners happy?

Views : 136038

Replies : 495

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your XC60?
Overall happy, no significant issues 441 64.66%
Overall happy, but minor issues 188 27.57%
Unhappy, significant issues 35 5.13%
Very unhappy, never again 18 2.64%
Voters: 682. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14th, 2010, 08:26   #31
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyblue View Post
Quite happy other than the known rising oil issue. Its a great car to drive. Now if only I can reduce the amount of brake dust.
use the brakes less? (also helps fuel consumption )
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 14:30   #32
Dude

Default Nice package, but a few disappointments

Overall happy with the XC60 (D5 SE AWD 205 bhp)

It's my wife's car and she loves it lock stock and barrel, it but as a passenger I tend to notice stuff she doesn't notice whilst concentrating on the road.

Firstly, the ride is way too hard. On smooth roads, it's fine, but then so would a kiddies go-kart be. On Real Roads(tm) there's a threshold of bumpiness above which it can be a real bone-shaker (and that's rather a lot of roads in Scotland). And properly offroad (dirt tracks to forest car parks etc) you get thrown all over the place. Very disappointed, and especially compared to my own XC70, which gets very similar use. They have clearly gone for handling over ride; such a shame that they should listen to motoring pundits who criticise handling of a 4WD, for goodness' sake. I notice that for the US market, softer suspension is used. I may try and see if this is available as a change.

Other small niggles are generally around build quality (wind noise, tailgate rattles, etc), again not quite up to my XC70, some have been mentioned to the dealer for the 3000 mile check-up, we'll see if they're gone afterwards.

MPG on the way up as it loosens up - 3000 miles and about 34-35 mpg in mixed driving. Very impressed with the power upgrade from the 184 bhp D5 engine - a lot more grunt low down, good pulling power all through the range, and also a lot quieter than the older engine. Again, motoring pundits should take note of Volvo's upgrades to what they constantly whine on about as being an "outdated" engine.
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 17:04   #33
GrahamTB

The potentially harsh ride is why I have mentioned tyre pressure in another thread. I have found over the years driving BMWs and Mercs that a very small reduction in the tyre pressure dramatically improves the ride. The type of tyre fitted will also make a difference and I have always fitted softer tyres. The down side is that by so doing the fuel economy is not quite as good and there is a greater degree of wear. Nevertheless, I have always been prepared to sacrifice these for better ride quality.

I have had many arguments with Mercedes UK who tell me they fit hard wearing tyres because the companies and fleet operators insist on maximum wear from the tyres. My argument has always been that when I buy a "luxury" car I expect maximum comfort and will accept more tyre wear to gain that comfort.

I welcome further comments here or under the "Tyre pressure" thread.

It would also be interesting to know if "Dude" has 18" or 17" wheels on his wife's XC60.
GrahamTB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamTB For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2010, 23:20   #34
rkennedy

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Overall happy with the XC60 (D5 SE AWD 205 bhp)

It's my wife's car and she loves it lock stock and barrel, it but as a passenger I tend to notice stuff she doesn't notice whilst concentrating on the road.

Firstly, the ride is way too hard. On smooth roads, it's fine, but then so would a kiddies go-kart be. On Real Roads(tm) there's a threshold of bumpiness above which it can be a real bone-shaker (and that's rather a lot of roads in Scotland). And properly offroad (dirt tracks to forest car parks etc) you get thrown all over the place. Very disappointed, and especially compared to my own XC70, which gets very similar use. They have clearly gone for handling over ride; such a shame that they should listen to motoring pundits who criticise handling of a 4WD, for goodness' sake. I notice that for the US market, softer suspension is used. I may try and see if this is available as a change.

Other small niggles are generally around build quality (wind noise, tailgate rattles, etc), again not quite up to my XC70, some have been mentioned to the dealer for the 3000 mile check-up, we'll see if they're gone afterwards.

MPG on the way up as it loosens up - 3000 miles and about 34-35 mpg in mixed driving. Very impressed with the power upgrade from the 184 bhp D5 engine - a lot more grunt low down, good pulling power all through the range, and also a lot quieter than the older engine. Again, motoring pundits should take note of Volvo's upgrades to what they constantly whine on about as being an "outdated" engine.
Coming also from Aberdeenshire I presume we are driving on the same roads! although I do not drive off road. I find the ride ok on my 17" wheels with pressure at 36psi.
I would agree with your comments on the power of the engine but I find it very "grumbly" (it is definitely not quiet ) and quite noisy especially compared with my previous BMW.
Again, I assume you will be visiting our Volvo dealer in Aberdeen and, based on my experience of my recent 3000 mile quality service, prepare to be disappointed. "Wind noise round the mirror is quite normal sir" although they did say they adjusted the mirror - no difference to the wind noise though!! Received a check sheet which showed they checked the tyres (big deal!), fluid levels, etc. What was interesting is what was NOT checked - exhaust, steering, suspension, drive shafts or oil leaks. Was shocked to find that the average fuel consumption when the car was dropped off was 43.2mpg and when collected later in the day was down to 40.1mpg - were they belting the guts out of it trying to find the wind noise? At first they said please collect your car at 4.30 - not amused when I told them I would collect the car at 1.30 as previously agreed when booking the car in for the inspection (dropped off at 9.15). To be fair, the car was then ready for 1.30 but hey - what they did could not have taken longer than 30 minutes.
I like the car apart from a few small niggles but service will have to improve.
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:01   #35
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkennedy View Post
... "Wind noise round the mirror is quite normal sir" although they did say they adjusted the mirror - no difference to the wind noise though!! ....
There are several threads about this from last year where many of us had this problem, me included. My car went back 3 times to get the issue sorted and eventually they admitted it was known fault and it took around 30 mins to cure.

Regrettably they would not tell me what they did, in fact they appear to have told no-one, but there is a fix. If your garage cannot cure it tell them to call Squire Furneaux in Guildford as they fixed mine and have done a few others

Good Luck
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:44   #36
Dellsonic

Default Servicing In Aberdeen

Interesting to see the poor feedback on servicing in Aberdeen. This is totaly unsurpising to me as the dealer seemed very unknowledgeable about the car when I went to visit them and had a general "i dont dgive a stuff attitude". This can be explained by the fact that only two companies own nearly all the garages in Aberdeen (and one - John Clark) owns most. No competition.

I have generally found both sales and servicing in Aberdeen very very poor and expensive. I have not brought a car from an Aberdeen dealer in the last 15 years as a result, and never use the franchised dealers there either.

I am getting my lease car via a dealer down south.

Dell Boy
Dellsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 14:44   #37
Teejay1
Master Member

Default Comforting thought!

It's kind of comforting to see that a large percentage of people who bought the XC60 are happy with it.

Especially when many of these forums basically exist to bitch and whine about products.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 15:54   #38
shortvehicle

Default XC60 2.4DrivE SE Lux

Fine car. 800 miles since new.
At 700 miles it called for a litre of oil. Checked and found that at PDI the Dipstick had been replaced with one of the forks in the hole, so no seal. Oil had sprayed all over the engine compartment. Dealer collected vehicle and sorted same day. Replacing oil I used to fill as required. Impressed.
Fitted a Witter Towbar (Detachable) myself, from PF Jones, and using Volvo generic Towbar Electrics (see cardiff dealer - Very helpful) that totalled less than £250, which was much better than the near £700 for the Volvo standard, and has a much nicer look, without that dirty, great cutout in the rear bumper. The dealer commented on this and reckoned it was a good job. Impressed again, as the Dealer did my software upgrade when they did the oil clean-up.
Question - My XC60 has one rear fog light on the drivers side. Why then is there a bulb and wiring to the passenger side? Why not make both active?
I have active bending lights and they are great. You can set them for driving in Europe by a computer link switch on the dashboard. Why then does the Rear fog light just change to the other side?
Better still, as I said before, why do they not both work? All I have really is an extra spare bulb that will cause a fault indication if I remove it...Hmmmm!!!

BTW Dealer is in Aylesford Maidstone, and they have been pretty good so far, so deal with them in confidence and recommendation.
shortvehicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 16:11   #39
Daleman
Master Member

How does the Witter detachable go about not requiring that cutout on the back bumper that the Volvo official one needs with its cover plate? Sounds good! Any chance of a photo of it fitted concealed and /or showing ?

Last edited by Daleman; May 19th, 2010 at 16:27.
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:50   #40
dj898

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortvehicle View Post
Question - My XC60 has one rear fog light on the drivers side. Why then is there a bulb and wiring to the passenger side? Why not make both active?
I have active bending lights and they are great. You can set them for driving in Europe by a computer link switch on the dashboard. Why then does the Rear fog light just change to the other side?
Better still, as I said before, why do they not both work? All I have really is an extra spare bulb that will cause a fault indication if I remove it...Hmmmm!!!
Maybe this would shed some light(!)...

"...Most jurisdictions permit rear fog lamps to be installed either singly or in pairs. If a single rear fog is fitted, most jurisdictions require it to be located at or to the driver's side of the vehicle's centreline — whichever side is the prevailing driver's side in the country in which the vehicle is registered.[15]
This is to maximise the sight line of following drivers to the rear fog lamp. In many cases, a single reversing lamp is mounted on the passenger side of the vehicle, positionally symmetrical with the rear fog. If two rear fog lamps are fitted, they must be symmetrical with respect to the vehicle's centreline.[15]
Proponents of twin rear fog lamps say two lamps provide vehicle distance information not available from a single lamp.
Proponents of the single rear fog lamp say dual rear fog lamps closely mimic the appearance of illuminated brake lamps (which are mandatorily installed in pairs), reducing the conspicuity of the brake lamps' message when the rear fogs are activated.
To provide some safeguard against rear fog lamps being confused with brake lamps, ECE R48 requires a separation of at least 10 cm between the closest illuminated edges of any brake lamp and any rear fog lamp.[15] ..."

[15] ECE R48, "Installation of lighting and light-signalling devices on motor vehicles"
*Wikipedia*
dj898 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dj898 For This Useful Post: