Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D3 vs D5 - Direct comparison

Views : 38662

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2010, 16:59   #1
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Default D3 vs D5 - Direct comparison

Having just returned from Berlin, I was given a brand new 2010 XC60 D3 as a rental from Avis.

Black metallic and Geartronic. This was the FWD version, single turbo and 175bhp. Badge at the back simply read: "D3".

Anyway, as some know I have the twin-turbo D5 and there are some very notable differences between them, including the MPG which is very good on the D3.

First of all, the engine. This is the new 2.0 litre, 5 cyl version and for those of you who doubt what it sounds and feel like you can relax. The sound is very very similar to the 2.4D and D5 engines and has that lovely 5 cyl growl.

The biggest thing I noticed was how quick it was of the mark at say, a stop sign. One would have to be careful not to spin the wheels. It also felt noticable lighter than that of my D5 AWD. Not as surefooted though as the D5.

But as you rev through the range, the biggest difference is the fact that the new D3 runs out of puff at about 3.5-4000 rpm whereas the D5, with it's 2nd turbo, will just continue. A high speed run on an unlimited section of the german autobahn confirms this. Keep it below 4000rpm and you'll be fine. It also runs out of steam at about 180-190km/h (112-118mph) although I did manage 121mph once.

On a very positive note was the fuel consumption. On purpose I resetted the OBC and after driving some 500 kms (only used 2/3 of a tank!) the onboard computer was reading 5.9l/100kms (approx 46-47mpg!) and that included the high speed runs, town driving and lots of air conditioning as the temperature soared to 43C on Saturday!

The only negative thing I can think of would be the Geartronic that was fitted. It was confused, hard to change at times and simply did not suite the car or the engine.

All in all, I am highly impressed re this engine in the XC60 bar the Geratronic.

Hopefully this may help some in the quest for shopping.....

Any questions, please ask!

Some pics.

1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 18:56   #2
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Having just returned from Berlin, I was given a brand new 2010 XC60 D3 as a rental from Avis.

Black metallic and Geartronic. This was the FWD version, single turbo and 175bhp. Badge at the back simply read: "D3".

Anyway, as some know I have the twin-turbo D5 and there are some very notable differences between them, including the MPG which is very good on the D3.

First of all, the engine. This is the new 2.0 litre, 5 cyl version and for those of you who doubt what it sounds and feel like you can relax. The sound is very very similar to the 2.4D and D5 engines and has that lovely 5 cyl growl.

The biggest thing I noticed was how quick it was of the mark at say, a stop sign. One would have to be careful not to spin the wheels. It also felt noticable lighter than that of my D5 AWD. Not as surefooted though as the D5.

But as you rev through the range, the biggest difference is the fact that the new D3 runs out of puff at about 3.5-4000 rpm whereas the D5, with it's 2nd turbo, will just continue. A high speed run on an unlimited section of the german autobahn confirms this. Keep it below 4000rpm and you'll be fine. It also runs out of steam at about 180-190km/h (112-118mph) although I did manage 121mph once.

On a very positive note was the fuel consumption. On purpose I resetted the OBC and after driving some 500 kms (only used 2/3 of a tank!) the onboard computer was reading 5.9l/100kms (approx 46-47mpg!) and that included the high speed runs, town driving and lots of air conditioning as the temperature soared to 43C on Saturday!

The only negative thing I can think of would be the Geartronic that was fitted. It was confused, hard to change at times and simply did not suite the car or the engine.

All in all, I am highly impressed re this engine in the XC60 bar the Geratronic.

Some pics.
Don't wish to be pedantic but if its labelled D3 is it not 163hp?. Anyway, what was the in gear overtake like from say 40-60 in 5th and 6th and 50-70 in the same gears. Was it the SE or ES?

I'm very happy to read that the sound is similar that was a big plus point for me.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teejay1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 20:45   #3
andy.cass
Kendo

Don't like the lack of fog lights. Looks like somethings missing.

11.5My XC60 D5 SE Lux Premium, Geartronic, Savile Grey, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Prem Audio with Sub, tow bar.
10MY 2009 XC60 D5 SE Lux Auto
2008 Mini Cooper
andy.cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 23:04   #4
Daleman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
Don't wish to be pedantic but if its labelled D3 is it not 163hp?. Anyway, what was the in gear overtake like from say 40-60 in 5th and 6th and 50-70 in the same gears. Was it the SE or ES?

I'm very happy to read that the sound is similar that was a big plus point for me.

Yes the German spec D3 is 163 BHP and the chrome strip on the photo I think would identify it as an SE but German spec may vary to UK SE spec

German Spec link

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktio...hmentId=684205
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:03   #5
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post

I think you are right. Either way, that would make it feel even quicker for "only" 163bhp.

The Germans & most other European markets don't have SE etc, they have Kinetic, Momentum and Summon. The latter being similar to the UK spec SE Lux.

This particular car had everything, except sunroof and leather. It did have power tailgate, sat nav and half leather seats.

It also had Geartronic but I would say that 40-60 + 50-70 without kickdown is very good indeed. From normal speed, coming on to say a motorway, accelerating up to say 80 it certainly felt every bit as quick as my D5. It's the higher end (above 4000rpm's) where it feels very sluggish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.cass View Post
Don't like the lack of fog lights. Looks like somethings missing.
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
Yes the German spec D3 is 163 BHP and the chrome strip on the photo I think would identify it as an SE but German spec may vary to UK SE spec

German Spec link

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktio...hmentId=684205
I think this one was the Momentum spec.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 19:32   #6
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Quote:
Volvo do fleet?!
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 21:45   #7
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155mph View Post
Volvo do fleet?!
Have done for years. Although I didn't know that Avis had Volvo's in Germany. Hertz, yes, as they are owned, at least in Sweden, by Volvo.

Over the years I've had various models of the S40, S60, XC60, V70, V50, S80, XC90, S70 etc etc etc. Anything from a small 1.6 right upto the T6.

You can also rent Volvo's through Hertz Prestige in the US and Canada. If so, you normally get the T6, at least I did.

A 2000 S80 that I owned was previously regged to Avis in the UK. The car came from some sort of management and only had 6K on the clock after 12 months!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 21:26   #8
Daleman
Master Member

Quote:

Some pics.

Don’t know how you got 47 MPG on the D3 auto I am getting 37 and it doesn’t look like it will get much better!
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 22:21   #9
r-designbob
Premier Member

Dammit!!

What type of driving do you do Daleman?
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 23:00   #10
Daleman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
Dammit!!

What type of driving do you do Daleman?
Hi r-designbob

Mainly Dales A and B roads and roads in North Yorkshire and the Lake District.

The power unit and auto gear train seems very high geared and always seem to be revving too low in my view ( probably my low speeds because of slow traffic flow) . Plenty of power though when you want it and performance is effortless when you can find a road suitable. I am used to putting an auto in drive and leaving it but I do find myself putting this into manual to keep the revs up a bit .You could run round all day in 5th manual on most roads as 6th is high geared in auto and best really on a dual carriageway. Average speed is reading a low 29MPH up to now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daleman For This Useful Post: