Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC90 rpm sensor location

Views : 2186

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2020, 15:34   #1
Doombug11

Default Volvo XC90 rpm sensor location

Hi all, my car won’t start and I’m getting an error code with the rpm sensor (ECM-3100 in VIDA) only problem is I can’t locate it!! Anyone out there able to help lead me towards It? I recently replaced the starter so I reckon there’s a good chance I’ve knocked something round there.
Doombug11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 17:28   #2
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, I think it is actually called the 'crankshaft position sensor' this video will help locate it.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...HHZIMm2QmWbJ1U

It counts pulses generated by the teeth on the flywheel.

When mine failed on my old V70, the plastic mount had broken and the end actuall got trashed by the flywheel itself.

It is pretty easy to replace.

I also at another time had problems with bad connection into the sensor. You may have knocked this off.

A tell tale symptom besides the error code is that the tacho reads nothing when cranking. Understandable I guess.

Hope this helps

John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 00:35   #3
Doombug11

Thanks for the reply, I suspected that was what I was looking for however the little bugger is still eluding me! I’ve taken the air box out to get better access but I still can’t find it.

It was an odd fault, I had recently changed the starter motor and plugged in Vida afterwards, cleared the codes took it for a drive and everything was good. Then the other night I started the car up and left it to warm up an defog for 5 minutes. All of a sudden it just cut out and would just spin over without starting.

The only new code is ECM-3100 Which is the rpm/crank sensor, oddly it only gives an orange indicator not red? The fault trace also says the sensor doesn’t need replacing. I just want to find the connector for this sensor so I can clean and reseat it before I do the next step in Vida!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F2C8DA98-FFFF-45B3-8A20-D28AF1B9418B.jpg (103.1 KB, 35 views)
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 01:42   #4
Dancake
Premier Member

Details of the car. Year, transmission, engine etc. If it's a D5, the crankshaft position sensor is located at the top of the transmission in a bracket that's bolted to the engine. It's pretty much top dead centre and can be a little tricky to access. The electrical plug faces the front of the car. Because the fault started after you replaced the starter, I would inspect the wiring going to the crankshaft sensor to make sure you haven't damaged anything in the process.

The starter motor earths through the brushes and into the engine block/transmission housing. When changing the starter you should have noticed the little locator stud on the replacement starter. Was it clean and free from dirt and corrosion before you fitted it? The same goes for the hole that the stud goes into. Also were the mating surfaces between the starter and transmission clean? A bad earth can give crankshaft position sensor fault codes because of the electrical interference, and will stop the car from starting. It's worth checking all of your earth connections to make sure they're good.

Last edited by Dancake; Dec 2nd, 2020 at 02:55.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 04:44   #5
Doombug11

The cars a 2006 XC90, D5244T4, M66 AWD. Thanks very much for your reply! I pulled the starter from a scrapped D5 down a local Volvo scrapyard and was in a rush to get my car moving so just straight swapped it. Now you mention it the starter I pulled is a bit dirty and those locator lugs were quite corroded so before I go any further I’ll take it back off and give it a really good clean! Didn’t think they could be an earth source, thanks for your help.
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 05:05   #6
Dancake
Premier Member

A soft steel wire brush should get rid of the bulk of the corrosion, and you can use a bit of scotchbrite to clean the mating surfaces before bolting the starter on. If you were picky you could inspect the carbon brushes when you remove the starter to make sure there's plenty of material left on them. It would also do no harm to clean the commutator with some fine sandpaper whilst you're in there.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 23:07   #7
Doombug11

So I removed the starter and the mating service/ lug were filthy, however after a good clean still no luck getting the car to fire. I went back into Vida to do the fault trace and this time I figured out a bit more of how the software works. So I found the link in fault trace that takes you to the guide to replacing the rpm sensor! Didn’t realise Vida did all that as well! Awesome bit of software.

It appears the EGR mixer needs to be removed to gain access to the rpm sensor? I’ve attached the image from Vida. That process looks a bit of a pig as says to drain fluid and replace gaskets, is it possible to get to the connector to the sensor without going through that?

The fault is also specifically ‘faulty signal’ not ‘signal missing’ and advices either poor connection or oxidation of parts just as you were saying. I am much happier with how I’ve fitted the starter motor though now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54347553-CB6E-4713-90C9-4F74B735C6DF.jpg (151.7 KB, 43 views)