Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06> / V70 '07> / XC70 '07> General

Notices

S80 '06> / V70 '07> / XC70 '07> General Forum for the Volvo S80 '06> / V70 '07> XC70 '07> models (V70 Generation 3)

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adjustable steering force - Was this part of a pack?

Views : 978

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 23:20   #1
Yelper85
Member
 

Last Online: Jan 19th, 2021 12:08
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Matlock
Default Adjustable steering force - Was this part of a pack?

Hi all,

My manual states "Adjustable steering force" was an option/accessory, however was this option a specific option you could buy or was it part of a pack?

The "Active chassis - Four C" seems related but again could have been a completely separate option or included in a pack.

Anybody got either of these options and could feedback on their effectiveness/usefulness?
__________________
65 plate V60 R-Design Lux Nav D4 Auto

Last edited by Yelper85; Dec 2nd, 2020 at 23:24.
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 23:24   #2
Yelper85
Member
 

Last Online: Jan 19th, 2021 12:08
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Matlock
Default

Sorry, ignore this post, I've put it in the wrong section!

I'll post again in the correct place.
__________________
65 plate V60 R-Design Lux Nav D4 Auto
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 01:42   #3
apersson850
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Jan 22nd, 2021 10:20
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Traryd
Default

If you are referring to a V60, then yes, you are in the wrong section.

While the subject is up, I can add that when I bought my XC70 in 2011 (MY 2012), then both progressive steering assist and 4C were separate options. Not included in any trim level (Kinetic, Momentum or Summum in Sweden), nor in any technology package or similar.

I did order the progressive/adjustable steering. Glad I did, it's much better than the 2016 we also have, but without that.
I did not get the 4C, as I wanted Nivomat, and they were mutually exclusive.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 18:30   #4
Yelper85
Member
 

Last Online: Jan 19th, 2021 12:08
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Matlock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
If you are referring to a V60, then yes, you are in the wrong section.

While the subject is up, I can add that when I bought my XC70 in 2011 (MY 2012), then both progressive steering assist and 4C were separate options. Not included in any trim level (Kinetic, Momentum or Summum in Sweden), nor in any technology package or similar.

I did order the progressive/adjustable steering. Glad I did, it's much better than the 2016 we also have, but without that.
I did not get the 4C, as I wanted Nivomat, and they were mutually exclusive.
Do you remember if it cost a lot for the option?

Nivomat? Never heard of that one, what is it?

Seems strange that it wouldn't come as standard with at least one of the packs.

Do you know if newer models of Volvo come with these two as standard nowadays?
__________________
65 plate V60 R-Design Lux Nav D4 Auto
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2020, 00:37   #5
apersson850
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Jan 22nd, 2021 10:20
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Traryd
Default

I think the cost for the progressive power steering was about SEK 3000.

Nivomat is self-levelling rear suspension. Makes the ride height load independent.

I'm not fully up to speed on the trim level of the most recent models. But it's different in different countries anyway.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 08:36   #6
Yelper85
Member
 

Last Online: Jan 19th, 2021 12:08
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Matlock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
I think the cost for the progressive power steering was about SEK 3000.

Nivomat is self-levelling rear suspension. Makes the ride height load independent.

I'm not fully up to speed on the trim level of the most recent models. But it's different in different countries anyway.
Odd, I would have thought the 4C and Nivomat would have complimented each other and be part of the same package. Clearly not.
__________________
65 plate V60 R-Design Lux Nav D4 Auto
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 11:06   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member
 
Tatsfield's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 16:15
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Odd, I would have thought the 4C and Nivomat would have complimented each other and be part of the same package. Clearly not.
The 4C shocks are electrically controlled while the Nivomats are mechanically self adjusting reacting to the weight on the rear axle. They are totally different pieces of kit and do different things in response to different inputs. You can't fit both at the same time and Volvo decided not to make the complicated version that would have been necessary to have both functions, especially as most owners do not tow things or carry maximum weight loads with which the Nivomats are designed to deal. I suspect that many owners don't need the 4C either as once a setting has been selected, the driver usually forgets to change it for months!
__________________
2012 XC70 SE Lux Polestar 230 bhp D5 Auto Oyster Grey
Tatsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tatsfield For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 18:25   #8
apersson850
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Jan 22nd, 2021 10:20
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Traryd
Default

Good luck finding an XC70 in Sweden without the towing hitch.

They do of course exist, but you have to look for quite a while.

On the other hand, not at all difficult to spot an XC70 in front of a caravan, horse trailer och other stuff you can tow.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2020, 15:43   #9
Yelper85
Member
 

Last Online: Jan 19th, 2021 12:08
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Matlock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
The 4C shocks are electrically controlled while the Nivomats are mechanically self adjusting reacting to the weight on the rear axle. They are totally different pieces of kit and do different things in response to different inputs. You can't fit both at the same time and Volvo decided not to make the complicated version that would have been necessary to have both functions, especially as most owners do not tow things or carry maximum weight loads with which the Nivomats are designed to deal. I suspect that many owners don't need the 4C either as once a setting has been selected, the driver usually forgets to change it for months!
I suppose you're right, what's the first thing people do when there's mode selections of Eco, Normal or Sport . . . select Sport and never change it!

I wonder if the Cross Country came with 4C as standard as they have hill descent control + off-road/AWD capability? I'm positive the D6 Hybrid comes with it as standard.
__________________
65 plate V60 R-Design Lux Nav D4 Auto
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 20:50   #10
apersson850
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Jan 22nd, 2021 10:20
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Traryd
Default

No, the pretty expensive 4C system wasn't standard except for in a few high performance models. Not in the Cross Country, regardless of model.

Hill Descent Control, on the other hand, was standard in XC models with AWD. The did sell FWD XC70 and AWD V70, but they didn't have HDC.

HDC is perfect also for reversing with a trailer, since it allows for more precise control of the throttle. It's like a low gear, but electronic.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:37.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.