Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 (2003) xenon headlights

Views : 538

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 12:01   #1
scoobian

Default V40 (2003) xenon headlights

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit xenon headlights to a V40 Sport and is there an upgrade brake kit for this model?
scoobian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 23:50   #2
flyingtech55

Can't help you with the headlights unfortunately...but have you found the standard brakes to be inadequate? I've found them to be fine on my V40. As you may be aware, these cars are actually Mitsubishi Carisma in a party frock. As such, it is possible to 'mix and match' various Mitsubishi bits to these cars. I have certainly heard of folk fitting Evo disks and calipers to these cars but I have not tried to do anything like that myself as I've always found the brakes to be perfectly adequate for me (however I am an 'old bloke').

Interested to hear your views.

Tim
flyingtech55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 18:34   #3
scoobian

Hi Tim, you are right, brakes on my sport aren't great. Local Volvo dealer in Grantham overhauled them and it does stop quicker but longer pedal travel than my 66 plate v40 cross country. Just have to be aware when driving both. Didn't know about Mitsubishi tie up. This is a project car for when I retire in 2 years time

Last edited by scoobian; Dec 5th, 2018 at 18:36.
scoobian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 12:34   #4
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Yes to xenons, just buy RHD genuine xenons from eBay, a breaker, or keep an eye on the forums for them. Expect to pay about £100 and get about £60 back for your old lamps if they have the black bezel, or £30 if they're chrome bezel.

They're a straight swap, no extra wiring needed. You will need to pull the bumper forwards to gain access to slide them out, it's about 2 hours' work tops on a nice day with axle stands and a socket set. (Some people have been able to slide them out without loosening the bumper, YMMV.)

Don't do the "upgrade" kit to standard lamps, as they are illegal and will p**s off other drivers owing to the different reflectors required.

If you do buy them second hand, I'd recommend you swap the bulbs (lamps) while the lamp housings are off the car, only about £30 from Amazon for a pair, and they last for years. They're fiddly to get access to the bulbs, unless you loosen the bumper, but Halfords swapped mine on the car for £15, it was worth the money to see them struggling to do it, but they did it all right.

The standard xenons when factory fitted came with the Nivomat self-adjusting rear springs, but mine work fine with the standard rocker switch to adjust up & down. I recommend getting them professionally adjusted once fitted though, as mine were pointing downwards and I could only see about 20ft up the road.

Last edited by baldmosher; Dec 9th, 2018 at 12:36.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 14:46   #5
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I've always wondered about retro fitting into a car with standard halogen lenses, always thought you can't, however, my hid equipped t4 takes d2r bulbs, the r standing for reflector, which leads you to believe it might be ok, as projector bulbs are d2r, and the 2 bulb types aren't interchangeable.