Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant flush

Views : 4262

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2018, 21:32   #31
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Comma is £16.95 for 5 litres. Volvo Genuine on the Bay is £19.50 for 4 litres
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...-/202456103425

So, not a lot in it really
However, you have missed adding on the P&P of £8.15 which makes it a whopping £27.65!!

But, thanks for the link to the IAAF on the subject of the change in Feb 2018 from G48 to G65 by Comma.

I am unsure what is meant by the change being 'the recommended choice for every passenger vehicle model in its (Volvo's) catalogue'. I suspect that means their current catalogue of vehicles which I don't think will include cars as old as the 700 Series and their derivatives!

However, I have written to Father Christmas for a Lamborghini Tractor

Needless to say as yet I have not received any reply to my email direct to Comma, and
for the time being I shall continue to use G48.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 22:43   #32
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
However, you have missed adding on the P&P of £8.15 which makes it a whopping £27.65!!

But, thanks for the link to the IAAF on the subject of the change in Feb 2018 from G48 to G65 by Comma.

I am unsure what is meant by the change being 'the recommended choice for every passenger vehicle model in its (Volvo's) catalogue'. I suspect that means their current catalogue of vehicles which I don't think will include cars as old as the 700 Series and their derivatives!

However, I have written to Father Christmas for a Lamborghini Tractor

Needless to say as yet I have not received any reply to my email direct to Comma, and
for the time being I shall continue to use G48.

Bob
That's about £7.16/L for the Volvo stuff then Bob? As opposed to about £3.40/L on Amazon for the Comma branded stuff that appears to be exactly the same!

Very good point about the "current catalogue" not including the 7/9xx models, after all, the youngest is 20 ish years old now and past even Volvos life expectancy for them.

A Lamborgini tractor sounds like an oxymoron!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 23:01   #33
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's about ........

A Lamborgini tractor sounds like an oxymoron!
Just quoting from the Comma list of Spec approvals (which is short) for G64, and the IAAF News link. I want one

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 23:15   #34
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I want one

Bob
Sorry to disappoint but they're nowt special - Lamborghini have fingers in a lot of pies and tractors are just one of those pies. In fact, it was that pie in particular that launched the car division of Lamborghini, following an argument with Ferrari about a faulty car, so legend has it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Trattori

A lot of them these days are remarkably similar to Deutz tractors - can't think why!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 00:21   #35
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Comma is £16.95 for 5 litres. Volvo Genuine on the Bay is £19.50 for 4 litres
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...-/202456103425

So, not a lot in it really

Thank you.

I think I have paid a similar amount to a Volvo dealer. But sometimes I only keep a note of my total price for each order.

Generally I prefer to buy from a helpful actual Volvo dealer rather than from eBay. Some dealers are more helpful than others.

Likewise I buy most tools from the local engineers trade counter.

Re both, I get good quality, sensible prices, useful advice.

And I am helping to keep both businesses going for when I need them.

My local tools/engineers trade counter, FG Lang at Grays, family run, are a great help. They even use or lend their own tools for me occasionally.

Nearly 40 years as a customer at that trade counter. I reckon having an established customer relationship with people in trade is worth more than any money price.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Dec 11th, 2018 at 00:27.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 01:48   #36
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:

I know I have never paid anything like that for Volvo antifreeze delivered.

N.B. eBay is often more expensive than more conventional suppliers....go figure.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Dec 11th, 2018 at 01:52.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 08:27   #37
LPTJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post

In short. Why buy the Comma product, or Bluecol, or any other product, instead of buyng what Volvo themselves sell?

If there is a price saving, how much is that to be botheed taking time and effort for and does the non-Volvo product sometimes cost more?

Don't forget a recently reported experience with a non-Bosch temperature sender....

Hmmmm ???

FWIW it was I that reported the disappointing show from the none genuine coolant temperature sensor, however with antifreeze I take a totally different approach

Why?

Volvo coolant used to be part number 9437650 and then was superseded by 31439720, the later part number is supposed to be suitable for all modern Volvo (Ford) stuff (CX90's etc), there's no way in the world it's a traditional blue EG coolant! I suspect that it's closer to a modern OAT but given Volvo aren't clear and the bottle doesn't make clear what it is we have no real way of knowing....

At this point the nay-sayers will be shouting at their screens "Why would Volvo supply a coolant that wasn't right for our cars?" I'd suggest that these points are worth considering....

1. Volvo have a personal interest in having a 'one size fits all coolant', it saves them money to offer a single backwards compatible option, avoiding the expense of offering specific support for older vehicles that they have little involvement or financial interest in anymore.

2. Ford took over Volvo in 1999, long after the last redblock engines were produced. I suspect any of the modern engines that the current coolant is intended for have no 'yellow metals' involved in the cooling systems and I genuinely struggle to believe that coolant designed for their modern Ford based engineering is well suited to ancient redblock tractor engines!

3. Wouldn't there be consumer uproar if the modern Volvo coolant wasn't well suited for the older cars and caused problems?.... Not so much... These cars are 25 years old and more and waaaaaay out of warranty period. Problem with the heater matrix- "It's and old car Sir", Weeping head gasket- "It's an old car Sir", Corroded water channels-"It's an old car Sir", and so on. Volvo have no real incentive to care about what happens to 2/7/9 series cars anymore, those days are long gone.

The redblock engines are ancient things and were originally designed to run on Ethylene Glycol, no doubt about it, hence my decision to stick with good branded Ethylene Glycol from Comma, aimed at the classic market and change it every 2 years...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New...53.m2749.l2649

EDIT: To say, this is a personal opinion and was intended to give others some insight into the decisions I've made RE antifreeze, it's not and endorsement nor a suggestion that others follow suit. You must all make your own decisions about what antifreeze suits your cars best

Last edited by LPTJoe; Dec 11th, 2018 at 08:36.
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 13:04   #38
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Joe,

You have made some seriously valid points.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 20:54   #39
bob12
bob12

I received a reply today from Moove Lubricants Ltd ,Technical Services (Comma is a Moove company) as follows:

"The Xstream G64 is the newest product that is recommended for most Volvo cars by Volvo, before they recommended the Xstream G64 the Xstream G48 was the recommended product for most Volvo cars, when they brought out the new G64 product they updated all the vehicle listings for new and old vehicles to recommend the new G64 instead of the G48."

Not really the reply I was looking for! I have sent them a further longish email highlighting some of the comments in this tread as to apparent unsuitability for old red block engines.

I await any response.

Bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 21:12   #40
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That was a "triple B response" Bob - bullsh!t baffles brains!

In other words, very non-committal, shifting the blame onto Volvo who wouldn't really care about the red block engines these day and would say it's ok, even if it's not.

Sad really.

Glad you've conteseted the answer though!