Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just bought a 2011 S40, any recommendations?

Views : 1330

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2018, 15:23   #11
AndrasL

What I mean is that there seems to be a deepened spot designed to hold the wheel in the metal base of the trunk, while my trunk's metal base is in one level.

In the manual I can see this deepened place:

Maybe someone here who has space saver spare wheel in his/her s40 can take a picture for me?
AndrasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 15:52   #12
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrasL View Post
What I mean is that there seems to be a deepened spot designed to hold the wheel in the metal base of the trunk, while my trunk's metal base is in one level.

In the manual I can see this deepened place:

Maybe someone here who has space saver spare wheel in his/her s40 can take a picture for me?
Oh ok, gotcha. But I still think that "hole" for wheel is not actually in the boot floor but made out of the foam assembly. My car has space for saver, but its "holding hole" is made by surrounding foam etc. On the sides there is factory subwoofer and amp etc. I dont think there is a physical "deeper part" of the metal floor....
someone corrects me if im wrong?

EDIT - found this online - that is for pre-fl model with space saver and it does seem to have "deep" space for it. Not sure if your floor is flat as you had compressor version or all FL has it. Im lost now :}

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Dec 5th, 2018 at 15:58.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 21:34   #13
AndrasL

Yes, that looks just like the image from the user handbook. It almost seems like that hole was covered up with a metal plate on mine. Would be great to know why and if it can be removed or not (would free up a lot of cargo space).
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 09:54   #14
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Yes, that looks just like the image from the user handbook. It almost seems like that hole was covered up with a metal plate on mine. Would be great to know why and if it can be removed or not (would free up a lot of cargo space).
Im not sure it had been removed, doubt anyone would bother flattening&welding that part of boot. MOst likely your car had compressor inflatable kit instead of space saver, but then It means there were 2 versions of boot floor depending on having spacer wheel or not... maybe....?
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 10:23   #15
AndrasL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Im not sure it had been removed, doubt anyone would bother flattening&welding that part of boot. MOst likely your car had compressor inflatable kit instead of space saver, but then It means there were 2 versions of boot floor depending on having spacer wheel or not... maybe....?
Well, according to the AutoDNA report it came with space saver spare wheel. Only reason I can think why someone would raise the floor is to have the boot on the same height as the load lip (which it is now). Apart from technical reason, like that volvo needed the space for something.

It would be great if someone with the same D3 engine could join in this conversation for clarification.

At any way, can anyone tell me how to select and reset the trip odometer? I can't figure it out.
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 10:45   #16
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
It would be great if someone with the same D3 engine could join in this conversation for clarification.

Honestly, it makes no sense... the floor level is dictated by the floor board (that part with carpet that you can raise to access the wheel etc. Re-welding the boot floor steel would make literally no point. If you had T5, I would say your car is AWD as it looks similar to mine (high load floor on level with boot lid). But you dont. So my next guess would be someone took the rear-end of S40 AWD and welded that in place of your standard one (like floor steel part I mean).
Is the rest of the boot the same colour? check the side off the carpets etc...
When you put the carpet floor part down, does it make nice and even floor surface or sits awkwardly? can u make pic?
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 10:52   #17
AndrasL

I think I would have noticed if that kind of major repair would have been made to the car. Supposedly it had one owner before me with no major accidents (of course the seller could lie). Besides, awd versions are virtually none-existent in my country, so using one of those as repair parts is highly unlikely.

If you take a close look to the boot, you can actually see the sides of the cover plate which seems to be glued in place, not welded.

I will try to remove one of those black plastic plugs and see what is under there.
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 11:22   #18
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
I think I would have noticed if that kind of major repair would have been made to the car. Supposedly it had one owner before me with no major accidents (of course the seller could lie). Besides, awd versions are virtually none-existent in my country, so using one of those as repair parts is highly unlikely.

If you take a close look to the boot, you can actually see the sides of the cover plate which seems to be glued in place, not welded.

I will try to remove one of those black plastic plugs and see what is under there.
Fair point with AWD parts rare to find, I was just thinking out loud. But honestly cant understand why would anyone needed to cover/modify the boot floor to level it up (IF thats really a case here). Im intrigued at this point so I will follow up any outcome :P
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 08:52   #19
AndrasL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Fair point with AWD parts rare to find, I was just thinking out loud. But honestly cant understand why would anyone needed to cover/modify the boot floor to level it up (IF thats really a case here). Im intrigued at this point so I will follow up any outcome :P
So I was going to remove one of the plugs to check out what is under the floor plate, however I noticed a volvo part number on it. After some google search I came across this image:

I seem to have the boot floor cover that is shown in the AWD labeled square.

I went under the car to check for space and there is about 15 cm between the boot floor (with heat shield, which also look OEM) and the muffler. (I attached a picture of this).

So unless someone with the same D3 engine and post-facelift model can join in, I will assume the following: Either Volvo decided that the extra space is needed to keep the muffler's heat away from the trunk or they made a manufacturing error and put the wrong trunk floor in there.

I ruled out the possibility of this being the result of a major repair, because everything seems to be in original state and the car was not repainted (paint depth was measured before buying).

So for now I will just put everything back together and leave it as it is. I could order the deeper wheel well and replace it, but unless I know for sure that this is safe to do, I won't.

By the way, I still have not figured out how to reset the trip odometer (the one used to measure distance after each fuel up for example). Can someone help me with this please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR-373213.jpg (66.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20181207_091203.jpg (119.5 KB, 7 views)
Old Dec 7th, 2018, 10:12   #20
LizardOfBodom

Quote:

I seem to have the boot floor cover that is shown in the AWD labeled square.

I went under the car to check for space and there is about 15 cm between the boot floor (with heat shield, which also look OEM) and the muffler. (I attached a picture of this).

That space between heatshield and muffler seem normal, atleast to me. Not sure how it looks on diesels but mine also has a huge gap there. Pic below for comparison.
From what i remember, AWD cars have "raised boot floor" just because the spare wheel doesnt have its dedicated deep space as part of underbody is occupied by rear diff etc. If someone just used the flat cover on your car, you should still have the concaved floor anyway (like stash compartment to transport forbidden substances :P), but looks like you dont have it at all and your floor is totally flat from the new?
Gonna have a look at your car in Vida, wonder what options are listed there.
You know your engine code for D3 ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shield.jpg (241.2 KB, 6 views)