Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 Engine Cutting Out

Views : 17721

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2008, 21:15   #71
850_or_ZZR600?

Default 850 2.5ltr 20v Not starting.

Hi i'm a newbie here.

I went to start my 850 2.5ltr 20v friday morning, it fired for a second, then promptly stopped, turned it over for a couple of good attempts with no avail. left it til saturday afternoon. Went and collected an airflow meter and idle control valve for £40 from a running motor, fitted both and cranked for a good while and eventually fired.. Almost as if there's no apparent compression, but no signs of a failed headgasket. No present fault codes, Read from blink codes on the left under the bonnet. Got fuel present on ignition, and a spark from the coil and the sparkplugs...

This has happened twice now, not sure if the parts have cured the actual fault... Any ideas pls.

Sorry, forgot to mention, its a 1993 model with 180k on the clock and service history up to 170k.
850_or_ZZR600? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 20:38   #72
Charlie42

Default Engine cutting out

I have same problem on my s70,but the service light comes on everytime i start it.It stays on for about 1 min.It's only done about 4000 miles since last service.Also where is the relay and how do i identify it as i have no manual for this model....
Charlie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 21:30   #73
Gwynleym10

Hello I am new...

Recently bought a 1993 850 2.0 20v Estate. I'm quite please with it however it has this cutting out issue, which seems to be similar to some above.

It dies when it is warm, usually when i'm slowing down off the gas. And the "problem with engine electrics / fuel light comes on"

Some times it will restart if I have enough speed, sometimes I can even catch it by putting the clutch and acc down.

However it has completely died for about 20mins. It will turn over, but will not spark. There is no spark coming from the coil.

So far I have replaced the fuel pump realay (it was green - now red) the coil + mount is also brand new and I have cleaned the throttle and ICV. (it was full of gunk)

It has had new crank / cam sensors

Apart from this it runs very well - Idles perfect starts first time from cold.

Does anybody have any more bright idea?

Thanks
Gwynleym10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 14:29   #74
cyclogenesis

Went to TESCOS today to the bottle bank. Tried to start the car, it fired up then stopped and then I could not start it at all. All electrics seemed to be working, checked the fuses etc no joy. Called out the RAC, no fuel getting to the rail. Everything else working. Could be the Imobiliser thinks I, maybe this key is duff. Wife, kids and I get a tow back home and put it on the drive. We try the other key, no joy. So I come online to this forum. Lots of talk about relays etc. I tried the trick of bypassing the Fuel Pump Relay and still no joy. So it was probably a fuel pump problem. Interestingly, I could hear a click but no priming of the fuel system.

So I took the rear of the car apart and located the fuel pump. Following on from a comment made on here, I hit the pump with a mallet and tried the key.......wayhayyyyyy, it sparked into life. So obviously a fuel pump problem, maybe brought about as I am running on gas and the fuel pump may not be getting enough exercise.

Question is, how easy is a fuel pump change. Is is a simple follow the Haynes manual job, undoing the pipes and lifting out? I have done a search but would appreciate a link or some advice on this.

Thanks in advance

Peter
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 12:41   #75
hnh5

My car 1998 S70 2.5 10v also has similar problems but they only ever seem to happen when it's pouring with rain - don't know if this could be something else?
It starts fine, and will pull away fine but shortly after will start hicking and spluttering, occasionally cutting out and then being a git to start again. Once i do get it going and give it a good revving for a few minutes, it's fine again. It's got FSH and it's also recently had a full service, including new plugs. I've also recently had the timing belt changed and air con regassed - don't know if either of these would be a factor but it's only started since the timing belt and air con regas.
If i start at replacing the fuel pump relay, could someone give me a clue as to its location as the only thing I seem to be able to find a fuel pump fuse, not the relay?
Thanks

Last edited by hnh5; Sep 6th, 2008 at 12:43.
hnh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 15:07   #76
Clan
Experienced Member

I had this problem last week , it turned out to be the coil/power stage unit , on fitting a new VOLVO one (£98 ) it was fine , the one removed was a cheap Intermotor one ..
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 14:15   #77
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnh5 View Post
If i start at replacing the fuel pump relay, could someone give me a clue as to its location
http://www.volvoforumsrepairs.org.uk...lpumprelay.htm

Cheers
Jod
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 20:07   #78
Laney760
VOC Member

Is this your problem?

I have now heard of more cases of an 850 cutting out when slowing down, stopping or turning a corner slowly. Members Stewart and Julia Williams told me about their expience with this and how their Volvo dealer dealt with it. The butterfly in the throttle valve is pre-set at the factory to a very small gap, and with time and mileage there is a build up of oil and carbon which reduces the gap enough to send wrong information to the engine management system. The butterfly needs simply to be cleaned and the gap checked. Volvo dealerships are aware of this

taken from:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...n&ct=clnk&cd=4

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote