Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Beware of the ECC Fan" - Growls at Me

Views : 1213

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 16:45   #1
rayspurgeon
VOC Member

Default "Beware of the ECC Fan" - Growls at Me

The ECC ventilation fan on my classic V70 has started to make a growling-like noise when running. Was previously almost inaudible. Pollen filter has been changed but problem/annoyance persists. Suggestions as to possible cause and remedy would be appreciated.
rayspurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2003, 21:53   #2
jaytee
Jim

Default RE: "Beware of the ECC Fan" - Growls at Me

The fan in my Merc van got really noisy last year and 'growled' I removed it as I was sure it was just dry bearings/bushes, I lubricated it with super-duper teflon lube and it was silent for about six weeks, then the growl returned, so I took it out and fitted a new fan/motor unit, about £75.00. You may get off with lubricating yours, but it's probably harder to access, certainly to get at both ends, maybe a long thin tube would work. I'm sure someone has more info.

Jim - 850 Tdi
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 14:42   #3
Andy Mcl

My 97 V70 Tdi is doing the same.
Have spent some time with the dealer and it turns out to be a servo motor controlling the recirculation flap and as fan speed builds up the flap seems to resonate. It is going in tomorrow to have new motor fitted hopefully will sort problem.
Test yours,
Turn the ECC off (fan auto to 0) wait a few moments and try slowly into manual it should go quiet if it does this means that the recirc flap servo motor is tired as it is not closing properly.
This also costs, the motor is £100 and the installation is about 2+hrs it will cost in the region of £250 to put right- ouch
SH*T happens!!
Cheers
Andy
IPD anti - roll bars
Diesel power!!
Andy Mcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 13:37   #4
rayspurgeon
VOC Member

Thanks Jim and Andy for your advice. It is very helpful. As you may guess local main dealer seems to find nothing to be concerned about.Perhaps that's because a few months left on warranty! Ray
rayspurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote