Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Clutch Clinic" query

Views : 1026

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 22:32   #1
dr dolittle

Evening All,

It appears the release bearing is expiring on my '94 855 T5.

Its replacement is not a job I wish to attempt in the road outside my house so I think it's time to USE A GARAGE ... AGGGHHHHH !!

I tried a local "clutch clinic" type place today - the chap sounded very sensible and as trustworthy as one can tell over the phone ... he quoted £420 + VAT all in, or £240+VAT + £50 bribe to fit my own supplied Europarts Clutch kit at £130 + P&P.

So:
a) Has anyone done one themselves and is taking the g/box out as nightmarish as I imagine ?
b) Has anyone actually paid a Volvo dealer to do it and how much ?
c) Any experiences of using non-Volvo garage for a clutch swap ?
d) should I just drill a small hole in the bell housing and arrange a drip feed total loss lube system to make the bearing last another few years ????

Any experiences or thoughts welcomed.

Steve
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 23:17   #2
markas
VOC Member

Default RE:

Hi ya,

had a quote from both dealer and non-franchise before mine expired so had no choice but to be toed, very unhappy for us both.

Anyway to answer your question you have to disconnect quite a lot of things. Have a hoist for the engine so you drop the sub-frame out and then split the gearbox from the engine. Mine was in for two days so i had my cam and aux belt done at the same time couldn't be bothered with all that lining up.

Cost well £600 notes for 8 to 10 hours job with parts which includes clutch and new throw out bearing. Get the gearbox flushed as well i had a nightmare doing that myself. Its a sealed lifetime product but you may as well and its cheap insurance. You should see what an automatics looks like after 50k.

Just make sure you don't have what i had a rattle due to the cat bolts not being tightened up. Next they broke my locking wheels nuts and finally a spiget pin on one of the wheels, as they have to disconnect the drive shafts.

Dealers who would use hey ? me

Mark
markas is offline   Reply With Quote