Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Been sold a lemon

Views : 18874

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2012, 08:32   #1
nicholasjgroom

Default Been sold a lemon

I bought my car a couple of weeks before christmas and yesterday i took the sill guard off the car and discovered that the sill has rusted through completely and the car shouldn't actually have been sold to me or be on the road at all. I'm just wondering if the law is on my side and if the dealer i bought it from is required to fix it or give me my money back because the car should never have been sold in the first place? (whether the guy knew about the damage or not)
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 08:45   #2
Master Member

Seek detailed advice about how to reject car from Trading Standards or similar before you go back to dealer. You may need to get a report from a qualified engineetr

Major rust is a reason to reject the car not to seek to have it repaired
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 09:20   #3
nicholasjgroom

I spoke to the guy and he said bring it back and we'll get an independent mechanic (i'm hoping he can get the AA or RAC to come out to do an inspection) to look at the rust (i'll post a picture because i don't doubt for a second that the mot is now invalid) and then we'll decide what to do, from my understanding repairing it would require a whole new sill to be put on the car (not to mention whatever undiscovered damage there is on the other side) would cost many thousands so it seems more practical to just give me my money back. so are you saying that somewhere i have a legal foot to stand on?
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 09:46   #4
mikealder
VOC Member

It wouldn't cost thousands to weld a replacement sill, you are looking around £60 for the part and a few hours labour charge - Mike
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 09:48   #5
nicholasjgroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
It wouldn't cost thousands to weld a replacement sill, you are looking around £60 for the part and a few hours labour charge - Mike
But it would just rust around the patch and become a problem again in 6 months
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 09:58   #6
mikealder
VOC Member

Not if its done correctly, a replacement sill is what I said not a simple patch.

To be honest if its as bad as you are making out how come you bought it in the first place? - Mike
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 09:59   #7
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Don't see how anyone can have known about the sill unless there were visible signs with the guard on. MOT tester wont have been able to check properly with the guard on as they are not allowed to dismantle parts.
Hope you get it sorted with a whole new replacement sill, though if the patch is done right it will be fine.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
The Following User Says Thank You to scottishvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:24   #8
nicholasjgroom

That's my problem, he could've been just as surprised as i was, attached is a picture of the damage to the sill, the other 4 holes for the the plastic clips that hold the sill guard on have also started to show signs of rusting, there's also significant damage to the wheel arches and some rust i've discovered under the car. my main problem is that i don't want him to repair the car, it's been nothing but problems since i bought it and i don't really trust him to do any of the work properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.jpg (104.5 KB, 352 views)
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:25   #9
nicholasjgroom

your finger will go through that main patch and the rest of the sill is much more 'bendy' than it should be
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:37   #10
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

That's the kind of image that scares me. It's all nice having these covers but who knows what's happening under them till it's too late. The sills are an integral part of the structure of the car and when they go the driver is sitting in a death trap.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
The Following User Says Thank You to scottishvolvo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread