Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is a 7 seat 1999 V70 Bifuel (w/tank behind seat) workable?

Views : 1351

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2012, 23:26   #1
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default Is a 7 seat 1999 V70 Bifuel (w/tank behind seat) workable?

My boy really loves to ride in the very back of my Bifuel V70. Only i can't indulge thsi too much, it's not legal, and nor should it be. He needs to be strapped in. But he loves the veiw and the sensation. So hell, why not?

I've been looking at the seven seat conversion and have seen many pics of these kits on Ebay etc. My 1999 V70 has the tank behind the rear seat, unlike later 3 x tank Bifuel cars. So, with my CNG tank behind the rear seat, is a 7 seater still an option? It looks tight. And I can't see how these work clearly.

It looks liek the rear vertical of the seven seat conversion does not need to be tight against the back of the rear paseenger seat. Is that correct?
Hope so, becuase I have a boot tha msut be 10-12 inches shorter as a result of space requiored for my tank. Will I have enough space left?

is anyoen running a V70 of my vintage factory Bifuel LPG or CNG as a seven seater?

There's a non factory V70 with one fitted. But a later car.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124772

Anyone figured it? Thanks

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 7th, 2012 at 23:54.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 02:39   #2
940_Turbo

I'd imagine that car you posted has a toroidal tank. The 7 seat conversion sits hard up against the rear seat back when in use.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 09:41   #3
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default Best I put up pics

Best I put up pics, I've nnever actually seen a seven-seat in the flesh. Does not sound hopeful. I have a cylinder, which makes for an extra bulkhead. (er, Antique dealers need not apply). See the pics, I'm hoping against hope, there still room enough, behind this?

Thus my boys 7 seat lies against this. He gets less or no leg-room but he's six, he won't care. When he's fed up he'll climb forward.
Does it look like a goer??

I have a shorter spare-wheel 'flap' and most 850 & V70 will have it deeper, I think? Is mine shorter, looks it, if so, is the extra length required?

Perhaps I should be asking the non Bifuel owners how this works, if seven seats won't fit in a Bifuel, then my logic for posting here is a bit off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7SeatsandCNGIsitPossible01.jpg (243.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 7SeatsandCNGIsitPossible02.jpg (216.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 7SeatsandCNGIsitPossible03.jpg (244.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 7SeatsandCNGIsitPossible04.jpg (231.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 8th, 2012 at 10:25.
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 09:42   #4
Cheradenine

I used to have a 7 seat V70. The 7th seat is formed from the 2 flaps over the spare wheel; the flap nearest the tailgate flips 180 degree to form the seat base, the other flap folds up to rest against the top of the rear seat and form the seat back.

Given your LPG tank looks to cover where the 2nd flap would otherwise be (i.e. you've lost 4-6 inches where the std seat would be), I doubt the standard seat would work - you may be able to rig an alternative (Discovery type dickey seat?) but I don't know where you'd mount the seat belts or what approvals you'd need.

If you used a toroidal tank in place of the spare wheel, it'd be simple of course, but whether that's easier than a one-off seat I don't know.
Cheradenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 09:49   #5
mikealder
VOC Member

The standard rear gunner seat won't fit the car with the tank in that location, if you did swap the tank for a donut style one then you could fit the rear seat but you wouldn't be able to fold it flat when not in use - Not really viable to be honest - Also there is a height restriction that any kids must be under to use the rear seat, from memory it is either 1,2M or possibly 1,4M - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 09:53   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

My V70 LPG has a toroidal tank, and I reckon I'd definitely be able to fit the standard rear-facing seats as the tank is only the same size as the spare wheel, and simply sits in the spare wheel well. I should imagine you'd need to think a bit about the piepwork and electrical connections for the gas tank, but I can't see that this would present an insurmountable problem.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 17:46   #7
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Wouldn't want him sat there if someone goes up the back of you. He might like the view but for his safety probably best he isn't in the crumple zone.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 14:33   #8
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

This isn't going to fly is it, so no rear gunner then? (I like that expression)

Apart from the safety of it, (better he does not spend too much time there), but the second flap, it appears is under my tank. A doughnut is not an option with CNG either.

Sod it.

Thanks for all your replies.

Dagga, dagga, dagga, dagga, dagga, dagga...

I hope I never grow-up.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 12th, 2012 at 14:38.
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 18:18   #9
Cheradenine

Must admit, I didn't let the girlfriend's boys use the 7th seat if we were using the motorway, though I had no objection around town.

How come toroidal tanks can't be used for CNG, or does LPG run at lower pressure?
Cheradenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 20:46   #10
volvobaggen

Petroleum gas needs very little pressure to stay in liquid form. I believe I read somewhere that LPG tank pressure is about 10-12 bars. As far as I know, methane is compressed in gaseous state in the CNG tank and transferred in high pressure lines to the reducer in the engine bay. The storage pressure is over 200 bar, and it is probably easier and cheaper to make a cylindrical storage container.
volvobaggen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvobaggen For This Useful Post: