Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Have Volvo vehicles improved since being bought by Ford?Rating 1 to 6. (1 - Yes, 6 - No)

Views : 22737

Replies : 205

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have Volvo vehicles improved since being bought by Ford?
Rating 1 to 6. (1 - Yes, 6 - No)
Yes, love 'em! 44 16.30%
I like some of the new models 107 39.63%
Could be better, but the XC90 is nice! 119 44.07%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 19:26   #21
hairyapple
Queer4Amazons

Thumbs down Ford seems to have trouble keeping it's loyal fans , here in the USA

happy. Their strongest area, here, is the pick-up and they are losing ground there to Toyota, Nissan etc. Believe me, it says a lot when the local rednecks go to the same people that brought us WW2 to buy a truck.
I know that even though I've squeezed 170Miles out of my F150 4x4, if I ever buy another truck I'm looking at a Toyota first.

Any pre FWD Volvo is better than any Ford could possibly be.
hairyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 18:33   #22
MTerry
Bored Member

While I must admit that the floating centre console in the new models is unique and something now equated only with Volvo, the new cars are just anonymous. Much like with GM's ownership of Saab, they're nothing special. The other problem I have is that I know too much about their various components. For instance, I still can't get the term "Ford Focus" out of my head when I see an S40, and I know that the US Ford Five Hundred (soon to be Taurus) is just an S80 with a homely body. I think what has been lost most with Volvo, and with Saab, is the unique character that they used to have.
Gloria - '93 244 in Ruby Red Metallic
Sandy Blu - '07 C70, Celestial Blue
MTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 19:56   #23
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTerry View Post
I think what has been lost most with Volvo, and with Saab, is the unique character that they used to have.
Your other comments are valid relating to the shared platforms...
But the above is the definative statement relating to the changes..

Ford (fud) and GM are american car makers. I neither like or trust american car makers.
Over history they have (like many US businesses) cut corners and trim costs to the detriment of the people who bought their cars/products and to the cars themselves... And to the detriment of the communities in whic they operate.
Take the ford pinto (yes please, take it away as far as you can and bury it deeeep!!!).
They knew there were issues, and decided to carry on regardless (it was cheaper to continue and pay compensation than to rectify the fault). Indicators and stop lights in the US combined because they save a couple of bucks in the wiring costs per car...! Get real you p**fs..

Saab and Volvo have always been "different". Different by design, by looks and by quality.
Neither were the biggest car makers in the world, but they had a nieche market and a loyal following...
Their cars were not the fastest, but were definitely safe, enduring and practical. And worked. And carried on working. And still keep going.

Now they are part of a "bigger picture" the uniqueness has almost gone. There are definitely signs that you know you are driving a Saab or a Volvo, but not as definitly as previously. The quality: newer, different, cheap. (sorry to all those who like the newer insides..)

More and more dependance on what seem to be poorly constructed electronic components (poorly made or designed, and which fail regularly) and which, although cheap to make for the producer, cost an arm and leg for the end user.
Front wheel drive. No I don't want to open that can of worms, FRW has its appeal and advantages - so too RWD.
But FWD was a good way to trim the cost of making a car by having the engine AND gearbox assembled outside the car and dropped in as a unit. A bitch to service and maintain though.
But Volvo have completely dropped RWD??!! WHY???? Merc and BMW still use RWD in their big class vehicles as the drive train of choice for that type of vehicle. Why? Because it is better.
So why, as a "premium" car maker has Volvo not got any RWD cars when they had some fine examples????

So, in conclussion, my rating is 6. Please fud, sell Volvo to someone who cares...
And go down the drain after..
/rant over...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 20:22   #24
alsner
In Volvo limbo

I was going to post but Des has said it all and I'd just be repeating him, damn fine write up sir 10/10 or A**** in todays exam markings. 6 for me + where is the no I don't box on the poll

Ali
I will return to the fold when the time is right.

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks

Last edited by alsner; Apr 26th, 2007 at 20:24.
alsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 21:31   #25
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

I see Des has had his rant!!
I really like my 240, but I have to say that my S40 (new shape) is much easier to drive, faster and more economical, BUT i hate the cheapness of some of the components when compared with the 240.
Sliding caliper brakes, where the calipers stick if you are a bit too enthusiastic when cleaning the wheels (240 4 piston calipers).
Alloy wheels which stick like crazy to the hubs, needing half an hour's persuasion to get the off (exactly the same as my wife's C-Max btw), OPK now with the careful application of copperslip, but the alloy wheels on the 240 just pull off when all the wheel nuts are off.. how so?
I really dislike the spring loaded reverse guard on the S40, the action is nowhere near positive enough, making it far to easy to engage reverse by mistake at traffic lights etc, much prefer the lifting collar lock on the 240.
Grotty space saver spare is a real pain, 50 mph and 100 miles limit is totally ridiculous on a car like the S40.
I'd like a few more toys on the 240, so thats why I am playing with the idea of a late 960 or even a V90, but as yet I haven't found one close enough to drive.
The new folvos or Vords are nice, but don't seem as solid, as as yet, don't have the character. Time will tell as to their longevity, I suspece that electronics failure could kill them off when the running gear still has miles and miles of life in it, like it did to my Saab 9-5 (or fiat/vauxhall/izusu!) diesel.
Dealer attitude will need to be revised as well in a lot of cases, judging by the threads in here. My local Ford retail dealer has a lot better and more customer friendly attitude then that reported of a large number of Volvo dealers.
Servicing pricing has to be adjusted too, if the new cars are to retain loyallty,
over £1000 for the 72,000 service for my S40 is plain silly when the wife's C-max cost is (I think) a shade under £500 for the sems work on the same engine and chassis!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 21:57   #26
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsner View Post
I was going to post but Des has said it all and I'd just be repeating him, damn fine write up sir 10/10 or A**** in todays exam markings. 6 for me + where is the no I don't box on the poll

Ali
And I didn't even touch on dealer service!!!
But I think that may be a different issue and I can't put my finger on a plausable reason or explaination for it...

Glad to have saved you all that typing.. I got carried away..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 00:15   #27
Track_Rod

I think this survey is fundamentally flawed.

It doesn't ask the right questions.

I am unsure of the date that Ford bought out Volvo and it seems that some more knowledgeable people suggest that only certain sections were sold. - I have no idea.

All I can say from my experience - which comes from good Independents who know their stuff, Volvo dealerships and 7 years of ownership.

In my opinion the 900 series was built to last - you only have to look at the numbers of that model based on the same design and built to the same original Volvo philsophy to see that. (I guess that must include 700 & the original 200 series ?)

The modern Volvos - well I have owned a low mileage owned S60 for almost a year now.

I reluctantly sold my last 940 Estate - knew it inch by inch. It never let me down. I could do my own maintenance, it was 15 years old and it could tell me what was wrong with it with the LED under the bonnet.

The S60 - let's just say Volvo have had to spend over £1000 so far on warranty issues.

I believe that tells a story. I am very lucky in having an outstanding dealership who have seen me through all of these matters with minimum fuss.

I would seriously consider NOT purchasing another Volvo.

I actually feel for the dealerships having to deal with cars which basically don't come up to scratch any more. Perhaps the Mechanics now prefer a simple oil change and a plug into a PC to diagnose issues ?

Personally as an Engineer I would prefer to listen to the problem/customer and work on the fault. What can a computer tell you ? There are sufficient threads on here to indicate that the inbuilt computers don't always know better.

I get quite depressed about what may be in store for me with this S60 reading these threads.

I doubt I would have that worry if the modern Volvos were built to the same robustness.

Simplicity and interpretable intelligence was built into my 900 series even though it was 15 years old.

Giver me that back on one of the modern Volvos and I would continue to be a Volvo person.

Not now - I have had enough doubts.

And yes I can appreciate that technology moves on - but to who's detriment - the comsumer, the mechanic ??

TR
Track_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:33   #28
dodgyken
Master Member

I didnt like the V70 - it was gone after just 5 months!!

Why after such a short time? Well, FWD, aircon making dodgy noises, brakes that would squeal like (group name of) pigs after a good work out, and the drivers electric window packed up.

It was a fast car but it never quite did it for me.

The 740 before it and the 760 now have that sort of "Hewn from a single block of steel" feel to them. They feel solid, robust, reliable (even if I flattened the battery last night fitting the CD-player).

What they dont do is:-
Fuel Economy - V6 designed in the 60s
Active safety - a multi-link rear setup is still not going to give you much agility
Passive safety - pretty good under 30mph, but where are the airbags?? I have 6 in the Z4 - and it is tiny
Speakers - only 4!! only 4!! The Z4 has 10 including 2 subwoofers. And dont get me started on the performance and premium systems!
Rear legroom - It is a 16' long car - you would have thought you could get more in the back then MiniMe or an 8 year old child!!
Roof lining - AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH - the 760 has a nice billow effect going on just where your head goes in the back.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 02:17   #29
monkeh
Pain in the backside

I always get asked considering buying a newer volvo, and even heckled by the volvo sales rep in the showroom whilst getting spares, a swift 'ITS NOT A PROPER VOLVO!' tends to shut them up and moves them on.
the 240, 740 and 940s are the only passion I have!
edit:Still moaning at the sales 'rep' I pointed out how much the V50 looks like a ford focus, and yes even the keys look like/even ARE a ford spec, I wonder if the volvos will start to rust like the fords did after 6 months of ownership?

Last edited by monkeh; Apr 30th, 2007 at 02:19.
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 10:01   #30
alsner
In Volvo limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
I always get asked considering buying a newer volvo, and even heckled by the volvo sales rep in the showroom whilst getting spares, a swift 'ITS NOT A PROPER VOLVO!' tends to shut them up and moves them on.
the 240, 740 and 940s are the only passion I have!
edit:Still moaning at the sales 'rep' I pointed out how much the V50 looks like a ford focus, and yes even the keys look like/even ARE a ford spec, I wonder if the volvos will start to rust like the fords did after 6 months of ownership?
Only time will tell
I will return to the fold when the time is right.

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks
alsner is offline   Reply With Quote