Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV444 wins 1957 Petit Lemans at Lime Rock!

Views : 85344

Replies : 281

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2018, 03:31   #1
blueosprey90
Master Member

Smile Volvo PV444 wins 1957 Petit Lemans at Lime Rock!

OK, now I am inspired!

I consider Lime Rock my home track. People have been pestering me to get the Volvo out to wallow race in the "preservation class".

The only things I need in order to run, besides a car that runs, is an exterior emergency shut off, seat belts and some numbers. Already have the fire extinguisher, the helmet and fireproof suit.

http://touringcarracing.net/Races/19...Le%20Mans.html

The PV 444's perforance in 1958 wasn't so shabby either.

http://touringcarracing.net/Races/19...Le%20Mans.html

In 1957, I was only 9 years old and was oblivious to cars/racing until recently. In the 1957 race, I recognize the name Gordon MacKenzie finishing in 8th place driving an Austin A35. He was a member of my club, the VSCCA, and just passed away last year.

In the 1958 race, I recognize the name of Walter Cronkite, the famous American newscaster, with a dnf with a Goggomobile TS 400 - whatever that was!
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 03:55   #2
c1800
Master Member

Good spotting!

Who knew?

https://bringatrailer.com/2017/07/26...l-ts400-racer/

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/200...t-page-1/?_r=0

Last edited by c1800; Mar 4th, 2018 at 03:58.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 13:05   #3
blueosprey90
Master Member

I mostly knew Cronkite as reporting on the Vietnam War on the evening news.

Who would have known he had this other side. He must have had one sense of humor to show up for a race with that Goggomobile.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 13:43   #4
blueosprey90
Master Member

Here's a link to the 1957 SCCA race school at Lime Rock. A little bit of PV444 action at about 9:13.

https://youtu.be/YnxQ-ArSF8g

Here's a link to a video of me chasing a PV544 at Lime Rock in 2014. Car driven by Shaun Henderson. Sadly, he rolled the car the following year and I think it was a total loss. It took me forever to catch up, Volvo action starts at around 11:00 but heats up a bit at around 13:00.

https://youtu.be/u76Cg-dX1FE
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 14:21   #5
blueosprey90
Master Member

OK, here's today's burning question.

The tire shop guy said that my steel racing wheels tires are out of round. I thought he meant that the rims had been bent in some accident with a curb. But instead, they appear to be off center.

I took what I assumed to be the two worst wheels (by extent of balancing weights) and mounted them on the front hub (itself about 0.16 mm out of round) and gave them a spin. It appears that the "worst" wheel is about 3.54 mm off center and the second one is about 1.5 mm off center - in other words, they track out and back in in one long arc. These are heavier steel racing wheels, not stock. Any theories on how to straighten? Or should I just ignore and run them "as is"?

Although used on the MGA (4 lug nuts), it seems that I might be able to use them on the PV 444 (5 lug nuts) as well, but I haven't tested the fit.

Nevertheless given the status of my MGA motor (blown), I might be compelled to run the Volvo in the VSCCA "preservation class" to get my "fix".
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 21:16   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Saab 99 Minilite look alike will fit the MGA. Should be able to find a set of those at a modest price if you are allowed to use them that is. Your "racing" wheels sound as if they are fit for the bin. If the centres are off-centre there is no cure and you will be lucky to find anyone who can straighten them if otherwise OK. They can be spun up in a big lathe and forced back in line but you then need to heat treat them as well or they will just go back to the previous shape. Look for better wheels. Late MGA/Twin Cam but not knock-offs. There are also some expensive Dunlop wheels for the MGA.
Class rules for wheels will probably apply for the PV but you might be able to getaway with early solid centre 1800 wheels which are 4 1/2".
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 20:45   #7
blueosprey90
Master Member

Thank you Derek. I've looked for the Saab wheels for the MGA, but they are not so available in the States. I do have Minatour Minilites (I think) on the car now. Just wanting to revive my original wheels.

Here we have tire rules more than wheel rules - although my club doesn't like the Minilites, there is not much else available on the market and the MGA stock wheels are too weak for racing. They grumble, but pass on.
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 21:02   #8
blueosprey90
Master Member

Tentative photo post - fearing massive photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D865FF85-1471-45A5-90CA-B581080B89F6 Resized.jpg (272.1 KB, 25 views)
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 00:51   #9
blueosprey90
Master Member

Steering Wheel removal. My steering wheel has two cracks that I want to repair. I plan to use PV-7 epoxy, but will also need to paint the steering wheel when I am done.

The first step to removing the wheel was to remove the horn ring. On the steering wheel itself, behind the spokes at approximately 8 o’clock is a set screw that must be removed. Once removed, the horn ring twists off. I grabbed it and turned counter clockwise and it spun loose. It is only a compression fit, but after 60 years it might be quite tight and require some significant force to remove.

Behind the steering ring, one finds a connection for the horn in the center of the wheel. Next is a 30mm nut with a dual lock tab that holds the steering wheel in place. It was easy to push the locking tabs back with a screwdriver, and the nut itself was quite loose – maybe only 10 foot pounds of torque or less to get it off. I used a 30 mm socket, but could have probably used channel locks.

Behind the steering wheel is a cylindrical housing for the turn signal stalk. At around 4 o’clock at the dashboard is a small set screw. I removed that and then pushed the housing forward about 3/4”. It allowed just enough space for me to get my two claw puller behind the steering wheel. I left the steering wheel nut loosely in place as a foundation for a socket, then covered the horn connection with the socket, then a large washer (for spin) and then the business end of the puller. It required some firm pressure, but the steering wheel popped forward without any damage. I then pulled the steering wheel off of steering shaft.

The cylindrical housing behind the wheel now came into play. The turn signal mechanism is sitting in there. I decided to pull the housing off to paint it. I could see that the housing would slide off if I disconnected the turn signal wiring, which was easily done at a connection under the dash. The entire housing pulled off with a bit of rearward pressure.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 10:45   #10
Army
marches on his stomach

I´ll be interested to see how you get on with that Eastwood repair stuff. I have a series 2a Land Rover wheel that needs the same treatment and there is unfortunately a little crack in the Volvo steering wheel that could do with some attention too...

...the problem I expect will be the paint for hiding the repair.

####

I looked through a few of your yew toob racing videos in the small hours this morning and was impressed by the gentlemanly behaviour on your race tracks. I went to an open day at Zandvoort (old F1 race track in Holland) and came away with the feeling that it was a place for mechanical death!

Speaking of which your MGA crank failure was a bit of a shame - though I couldn´t help smiling when I saw you reach for the starter switch to check ¨just in case¨ if it would turn over after that loud bang - hope springs eternal eh?

Did you replace the crank with a gucci forged example?
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote