Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

700/900 Dials

Views : 732

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2019, 20:30   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyf90 View Post
who wants an auto anyway!
Hmmmmm, let me think - ME!

A properly set up auto running clean fluid doesn't give slurry changes and isn't much different on fuel economy, in fact round town many autos return better economy figures than their manual counterparts and are certainly less stressful to drive in traffic.

On the open road there's very little to choose between the two of them except perhaps on the "traditional" auto box (with planetary gears and brake bands) the engine braking isn't so good as a manual.
However there are auto boxes around that have clutch packs in place of synchro rings in what is essentially an electronically controlled, hydraulically shifted manual box admittedly with a torque converter but that has a two-stage lock-up clutch on it (giving three different states, pure torque converter, torque converter with a partial lock-up and full lock-up) and the changes on that are faster than a human can manage in a manual, smoother, it's always in the right gear, the lock-up system of clutches means it is always smooth but faster than a manual and better on economy too.

As for the more traditional auto box, get to know it properly and you can still balance the car on the throttle through bends without it changing down or breaking traction, get decent economy and good aceleration.

Getting back to the main point of the thread, the instrument cluster, yes it's a shame Volvo followed everyone elses lead (particularly Vauxhall, as Loki said, the first of the Mk2 Cavaliers had full instrumentation on GLS, CD and SRi models, dropped to just adding the tacho on later models after the 86 facelift) where the maxim seemed to be "less is more".

Aside from the 740 turbo models, most pre-facelift 7xxs still only had the clock and tacho as "extras" in the cluster.

Granted things like voltmeters, external temp gauges, oil pressure gauges, boost and/or vacuum gauges could be added from the Volvo accessories range but there was nothing "standard" (even on GLE spec) with what could be considered "full instrumentation".

I like what you've done with a few minor criticisms that have already been voiced by others but what i'd really like to see is something for the facelift 7xx and 9xx that includes more instruments.

In other words, something that could actually be made to happen with relatively little outlay and/or modification. Couple of alternatives to perhaps give you some ideas, one is resite the clock (or make it smaller) to the centre console and then have the extra instruments where the clock was or design a binnacle that can be fitted in the centre console to house some extra gauges.

Oh yeah, and a working fuel gauge!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 20:45   #12
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

I like what you've done with a few minor criticisms that have already been voiced by others but what i'd really like to see is something for the facelift 7xx and 9xx that includes more instruments.

In other words, something that could actually be made to happen with relatively little outlay and/or modification. Couple of alternatives to perhaps give you some ideas, one is resite the clock (or make it smaller) to the centre console and then have the extra instruments where the clock was or design a binnacle that can be fitted in the centre console to house some extra gauges.

Oh yeah, and a working fuel gauge!
The clock could be relocated to the right hand side (under the oil pressure gauge in mine, or temperature in real life!) to mirror the ambient temperature gauge (if installed) as a digital readout and the clock space used for 2 or even 3 gauges (á la 850 style!)

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850 dash.jpg (160.6 KB, 14 views)

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 21:53   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It could go there but then you'd have passengers asking the time!

I can't remember what car it is but four gauges have been fitted in one circular space, imagine the fuel and temp gauge in that 850 and then a duplicate set at 90 degrees - you get the idea.
A small analogue clock could still fit in the middle too!

I do have another solution, if i can find it i'll get some pics. It actually exists and was nearly installed permanently in mine at one point - it might still be yet!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 04:17   #14
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Hmmmmm, let me think - ME!
I'm with Dave. Auto trans and fluffy slippers.

A nice 7-speed paddle-shift would be luverly though - right on the boil all the time...
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 10:37   #15
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
It could go there but then you'd have passengers asking the time!

I can't remember what car it is but four gauges have been fitted in one circular space, imagine the fuel and temp gauge in that 850 and then a duplicate set at 90 degrees - you get the idea.
A small analogue clock could still fit in the middle too!

I do have another solution, if i can find it i'll get some pics. It actually exists and was nearly installed permanently in mine at one point - it might still be yet!
A lot of older (1950s/60s) British cars had a 4-gauge set-up in a dial the same size as the speedo - usually coolant temperature, fuel, oil pressure, plus either volts or amps.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 10:49   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
A lot of older (1950s/60s) British cars had a 4-gauge set-up in a dial the same size as the speedo - usually coolant temperature, fuel, oil pressure, plus either volts or amps.
Could easily be what i'm thinking of! With the facelift 7xx and 9xx dials, the speedo is the largest and the clock/tacho are both the same size.

That suggests the clock could be replaced with the 4 minor gauges (fuel, temp, volts, oil P) and the clock could take the place of the existing fuel gauge on the left and a boost or vacuum gauge could go where the temp gauge currently is.

Another idea is the small slots for the genuine outseide temp display could house a multifunction display which could be clock/outside temp/inside temp in one and another multifunction (eg volts, oil P, whatever else) display in the other.

I suppose imagination is the only limit but i would think there would be something that could be done easily and cheaply.

Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 11:12   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Here's a few pics of the other solution i referred to :

I did try it in the single DIN size slot below the stereo on mine but it didn't look right, however that was with the previous stereo that had a less prominent "face" so may look better with the current unit.

Pre-facelift 7xx owners won't have this sort of upper centre console, i belive 940 owners got the same sort of upper console though.

Might try the panel again, will post photos if so!

Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 11:42   #18
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Massive minus points for the Rover Radio!

Yes, I had 3x Gauges in a DIN slot in my 940, in-between the radio and ashtray.

I've also updated the dials to 850-style ones to better utilise the clock space!

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0859.jpg (134.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Dials.jpg (105.5 KB, 7 views)

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 11:56   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyf90 View Post
Massive minus points for the Rover Radio!

Yes, I had 3x Gauges in a DIN slot in my 940, in-between the radio and ashtray.

I've also updated the dials to 850-style ones to better utilise the clock space!

Cheers
Damned cheek! Better than what was in there and has a 6-disc CD-changer the other end of it!

Nice ideas on the 760/850 dials.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: