Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

mynew little rubber burner project,4wd/24v turbo/caddy

Views : 23141

Replies : 199

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2009, 03:28   #21
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

We ended up going to external coil drivers. The devices we're using are rated at 7.5A continuous...each...and there are two of them...so it's no huge surprise that I wanted to avoid getting that anywhere near the PCB! The base (i.e. trigger) still comes from the PCB, but the high current side of things (collector and emitter) go straight out on fat wires to an additional connector on the rear of the case. My only remaining concern is cooling...make those transistors (now discontinued VB921s) work too hard, and we'll let the smoke out of them. Fingers crossed, no problems so far.

Just a bit of "been there, done that", in case you run into problems with this again. Sounds like you have it under control, though. Awesome project. I love those Caddys. A guy at uni had one with an Audi 5-pot in it. He said it was from a Quattro and it wasn't turbocharged (or all that powerful...I think it was a fairly old engine, and 10v), but I don't know much more than that.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 12:05   #22
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
We ended up going to external coil drivers. The devices we're using are rated at 7.5A continuous...each...and there are two of them...so it's no huge surprise that I wanted to avoid getting that anywhere near the PCB! The base (i.e. trigger) still comes from the PCB, but the high current side of things (collector and emitter) go straight out on fat wires to an additional connector on the rear of the case. My only remaining concern is cooling...make those transistors (now discontinued VB921s) work too hard, and we'll let the smoke out of them. Fingers crossed, no problems so far.

Just a bit of "been there, done that", in case you run into problems with this again. Sounds like you have it under control, though. Awesome project. I love those Caddys. A guy at uni had one with an Audi 5-pot in it. He said it was from a Quattro and it wasn't turbocharged (or all that powerful...I think it was a fairly old engine, and 10v), but I don't know much more than that.

cheers

James
nice one james ,only problem i had with this ecu with what i thought was a coil driver fault due to after a trail engine start after runing 15mins and the spark from 2 coil outputs went down ,,grrr ,,so opened the ecu as i thought id wired something wrong at first ,couldnt smell anything so after a bit of search ,i orderd some spare coil drivers the old vb92 .... and found that mine had bip thermal protection ones fitted so there for it couldnt be these as the basicly carnt be blown , ,,so i stripped the dam board and found under the rear of the board (under the map sensor) 2 of the 3 thin tracer wires had blown ,,,so affter checking i found its a comon problem with these so just replaced them with thicker wires
its been sound since ,,,
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 13:20   #23
BIGH66
VOC Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by powernut View Post
still needs a bit more tuning as yet ,dam thing wont rev and idiols high thows more smoke out then a std deisal caddy lol ,ill fit the wideband and bring the fueling down
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=ettrsw&s=5
LIKE I SAID LAST TIME, M E N T A L !!! only this time i,ll add G E N I U S as well :thumb s_up:
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 18:28   #24
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8 HUC View Post
LIKE I SAID LAST TIME, M E N T A L !!! only this time i,ll add G E N I U S as well :thumb s_up:
lol i reckon theres nothing wrong with been a little over top with a silly idea ,,,as i think if its not tryed then nothings gaind lol ,,it was just a silly idea i know ,,just thought id thow one together in afashion and see what happerns ,,i just hope its going to be real fun ,,,and have a nice g force when that turbo starts flowing
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 08:42   #25
powernut
Premier Member

hi guys after a bit more engine tickering ive got a bugger to rev only to 3500rpm but dosent sound half bad ,,,ps not worry about the smoke ,it was from the oil feed which i forgot to tightern up lol
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2ce5grt&s=5
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:59   #26
powernut
Premier Member

well started coming a long a bit more , with beefy chassi, bigger disc , another dash fitted all wired up (excpt the temp and fuel gauge) some better seats, wheels, had to move it due to dam pikys trying to take it
few pictures
yearh it was , going to cut it up when i get time due to a fair fair wanting parts ,, anyway a bit of progress this afternoon
so decied to remove all the underneath underseal , stressfull ,lol

which found a few more holes lol ****ing vws lol

then decied to do all the under archers and got a bit carried away with the grinder and polished the coilover leg up ,, god knows what i was thinking lol

makes things look rather tidyer then rusty steel and welds showing

same with the rears too
then welded the old truckman holes up and a tad a spray to stop rust until a later stage

then again i had to make a small spacer for the coilovers ,because with runing bigger mk4 cv jonts there were catching on the cv rubbers , so alterd the holes and made the spacer and welded it in ,so when heavy braking is needed the suspension leg carnt drop ,,and cause any problems , then gave it a clean up ,,

then as it was getting dark ish , thought id give the calipares a quick goinging over lol
from this

to this

my paint then tbh honst ,,
right had a few hours free so thought id start on the dash
first rip it out

then make a few strenghing bars

i wasnt sure were u mount the dash too above or below the window rubber

got best i could looks ok , but any idea i do with the side window covers as theres a gap ,

but its fitted ,and pref the black dash to grey ,, still was a bit tight on the ends and had to trim ends of the dash near the window corners to fit

another prob looks like the gearstick assembly will need moveing back a few inch too
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:02   #27
powernut
Premier Member

right thought id better start on the seat frame again didnt want it ripping out of the floor so add some decent 2x2 box and rips the old seat mounts out

then made a decent strong box for the seat mount that shouldnt go any were soon ,and add some chassi strengh too ,

then add to make a few adjustments as im 6ft 5 and not a lot of room with the size of the dash in a caddy ,,

have to get more steel to finsh the other side lol
i was looking under the wear the old leaf springs used to be and the chassi and wasnt happy with it , so , it had to be ripped out ,
as ive now realiseing i need a stronger chassi

fits bang on inside the caddy chassi ,

carnt see that buggar going any were soon
not mutch due to coming down with the useal man flu ,,lol
so managed to finish off the welding ading more strengh to the chassi too

so decided im going to make a fuel tank on the rear as this will help with weight transfor as well/once ive finshed off the other side too

so ill not be needing a fuel flap anymore so ill weld that up as well

and nice clutch pot arrived too ,unsure if ill use it thow
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:03   #28
powernut
Premier Member

well not too mutch to add at the moment
so snap off , steering wheel arrived ,and fits spot on with the electronic steering

and thought id chop the ecu loom to fit a contector to try match standalone to stock mk3 golf wireing plug and what a stressful job ,, lol mind finaly all cut ,colour colourd and wired up ready for re fitment
Old May 18th, 2009, 23:55   #29
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Epic, as always

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 13:50   #30
BIGH66
VOC Member

Wink M a d

Quote:
Originally Posted by powernut View Post
well not too mutch to add at the moment
so snap off , steering wheel arrived ,and fits spot on with the electronic steering

and thought id chop the ecu loom to fit a contector to try match standalone to stock mk3 golf wireing plug and what a stressful job ,, lol mind finaly all cut ,colour colourd and wired up ready for re fitment
Its always a pleasure reading what stage your up to its ganna be M A D !!!! keep us posted