Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Intermittant fault on radio/Sat Nav

Views : 10788

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2010, 13:18   #1
Normark

Smile XC90 Intermittant fault on radio/Sat Nav

I have a 54 plate XC90 D5 AWD with factory fitted Sat Nav DVD (under the seat).
During the past 6 months I have had a problem with the sat nav not reading disks and intermittantly the radio would go blank with no sound for a few seconds. Having studied many issues of this type of fault occuring upon this forum I wish to pass on my experience.

It really started to get on my nerves, especially as I had to use the tomtom on my phone to take my daughter to university for an interview and needed directions to get there.

This bank holiday weekend I thought enough was enough and really hit all the volvo forums looking for answers. Many of the people who reported this type of issue mentioned that this fault only gets worse and causes a problem with the ICM which costs £1k plus to resolve.
Not having that sort of spare cash lying around I decided to strip down the sat nav unit and see what was the fault with the reading of the discs.
Following instructions I found on another website (just google it and you will find the link) I stripped the unit down and found the cause to be a dirty lens, which I cleaned with a cd cleaning fluid and a cotton wool bud. At the same time as I had dismantled the unit I remembered seeing a fault relating to the worm drive of the lens, I was able to bend the guide (which runs along the worm drive) slightly downward, ensuring that it was not slipping along the worm drive afterward.

Strangely enough, this repair of the sat nav (which now reads discs correctly) has also fixed the intermittant fault on the radio. It would appear that the sat nav may reboot the ICM if it has a fault such as not reading the disc. I wonder whether continually rebooting eventually corrupts the ICM which is a costly repair. Another thread recommended that if the sat nav was disconnected it also stopped the intermittant fault on the radio and this seems to confirm my suspicions.

Basically I would recommend anyone experiencing this type of problem to disconnect the sat nav unit until they have time to strip it down to repair it. It only took me an hour to do (even with my 3 year old grandaughters help) and is not an awkward job at all but it could save you up to £1k for a volvo ICM repair.

PS The secret menu showed a faulty sat nav unit before the repair and now shows 'OK'.
Normark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Normark For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 13:50   #2
pdrvolvo
Master Member

well done that man for haveing a go which resulted in a successful repair.and for passing on the info.

peter.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 11:06   #3
Marcel
Trader

For your reference

if cleaning does not solve your sat nav problems I can repair it for you

CENTRAL SERVICES (IPSWICH)
188 SPRING ROAD
IPSWICH
SUFFOLK
IP45NR
01473 725953
MARCEL
Marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 16:41   #4
beertootie
Beertootie

Smile Help with sat nav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normark View Post
I have a 54 plate XC90 D5 AWD with factory fitted Sat Nav DVD (under the seat).
During the past 6 months I have had a problem with the sat nav not reading disks and intermittantly the radio would go blank with no sound for a few seconds. Having studied many issues of this type of fault occuring upon this forum I wish to pass on my experience.

It really started to get on my nerves, especially as I had to use the tomtom on my phone to take my daughter to university for an interview and needed directions to get there.

This bank holiday weekend I thought enough was enough and really hit all the volvo forums looking for answers. Many of the people who reported this type of issue mentioned that this fault only gets worse and causes a problem with the ICM which costs £1k plus to resolve.
Not having that sort of spare cash lying around I decided to strip down the sat nav unit and see what was the fault with the reading of the discs.
Following instructions I found on another website (just google it and you will find the link) I stripped the unit down and found the cause to be a dirty lens, which I cleaned with a cd cleaning fluid and a cotton wool bud. At the same time as I had dismantled the unit I remembered seeing a fault relating to the worm drive of the lens, I was able to bend the guide (which runs along the worm drive) slightly downward, ensuring that it was not slipping along the worm drive afterward.

Strangely enough, this repair of the sat nav (which now reads discs correctly) has also fixed the intermittant fault on the radio. It would appear that the sat nav may reboot the ICM if it has a fault such as not reading the disc. I wonder whether continually rebooting eventually corrupts the ICM which is a costly repair. Another thread recommended that if the sat nav was disconnected it also stopped the intermittant fault on the radio and this seems to confirm my suspicions.

Basically I would recommend anyone experiencing this type of problem to disconnect the sat nav unit until they have time to strip it down to repair it. It only took me an hour to do (even with my 3 year old grandaughters help) and is not an awkward job at all but it could save you up to £1k for a volvo ICM repair.

PS The secret menu showed a faulty sat nav unit before the repair and now shows 'OK'.
Hi

Thanks for the info, i have the same problem with my 2004 XC90 sat nav.
Just wondered if you could let me know where to find the instuction on cleaning the lens?
I've tried looking on google but have had no luck.

Thanks
beertootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 18:56   #5
Nick Volvo XC90

Hi

I also have the same problem with my radio and the ICM is now completely blank - but I have no sat nav on my 53 D5 SE to take apart etc.

I also don't want to spend loads on new parts - any ideas?

Thanks
Nick Volvo XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 13:41   #6
MartinXC90
Volvo enthusiast

Default XC90 radio

Hi,

I have the same issue and very affraid about the cost of repair...

Everything was OK, and I have not noticed any issues. Just yesterday I wanted to turn the radio on, and the display remains blank. Analysing so far, the radio doesn't completely work, nor the CD (CD is inside, but it will not start to play; I cannot eject the CD anyway). But I can enter a menu to Radio or CD menu. If I turn the volume knob, it shows the "volume bar" empty (like if you set the minimum), even if turn it the way for higher volume.
I can enter a FM/AM band menu as well, but no change, no sound, nothing on display. Carphone doesn't work at all (not even a menu).
Parking sensors are not working at all, too.
:-((((((((((

I found that if the knobs on ICM are lighting, the ICM has elecric power (if they don't, the fuse or ground is cut). My knobs are lighting.

I will be very thankfull for any ideas how to solve it (without buying new ICM for € 1000).

Martin
MartinXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 08:07   #7
mabie todd

Default Xc90 intermittent radio and parking sensor fault

Had exactly the same fault as many others - radio led readout went first but radio was ok. Then the radio became intermittent and then the instrument lights on the panel went go the blink. Next the parking assist beepers went intermittent and the steering wheel controls stopped working.
Was looking at £1000 for new icm and reprogramming etc.
Through this forum discovered www.volvodiagnostic.com. Gave Lukas a call and he sent me a couple of photos of how to bypass the icm panel but to keep the car running. Basically you disconnect the battery then link the CAN - BUS green to green and white to White.
10 minutes to take the unit out. I used wire hooked around the cassette mounting screws to keep the lower unit in place whilst the top unit was out.
The unit fits in a shoe box so easy to post. Posted to Lukas on Monday - back by Thursday. 10 minutes later it was back in the car and working perfectly.
Total cost including postage both ways was £172 - really pleased - well worth the punt.
mabie todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 14:44   #8
ninap

Hi guys,

First post here. I saw this thread having had the same ICM problem as others (radio/cd wouldn't switch on, and no parking sensor beeps) with my 2004 XC9. I removed the ICM and sent it to Volvodiagnostic (Lukas) as others had recommended. 149 sterling for the repair (plus postage). Got the unit back yesterday and re-installed it but unfortunately it's the same as before, ie, not working. The other electrical functions which wouldn't work while the ICM was removed (indicators, central locking, some interior lights) all now work again, which would seem to indicate that there isn't a problem with the power supply to the unit or the connections. Would anyone have any ideas? I'm going to disconnect and re-connect the battery to see if that may do anything. I might also disassemble the unit again, and try to reconnect with the key not in the ignition, as I did have it in last night (as this made access to the unit easier by allowing the gear lever to be moved back). Also, my airbag warning light is now on and will need to be re-set. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom...
ninap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cd/radio, failure, intermittant, power